Author Topic: WINDOWS REPAIR: REGISTRY BACKUP LOCATION, SAFEST REMOTE LOCATION  (Read 9619 times)

Offline James

• I yam what's I yam, and that's all what's I am.
    • View Profile
Hello Guys!! Nube to a great tweaking.com world. Just did windows repair with wonderful results. Very happy man. There was an initial backup of the initial registry along with a system restore done.

Was there an automatic new tweaked registry backup made? If so where is it located, pls?

If not, would like to try the tweaking.com registry backup to set a backup registry. I have Eusing but like everyone is aware, it pretty old now and while very useful in the past, I want to create a registry backup that I can store remotely (e.g. on a cd). Is that possible with the Tweaking.com Registry backup program? Also, any way you guys know how to keep a remote copy of the Win7 system restore that was made in a remote location.

My thinking is that I want a nice clean backup of the registry and system that is the "perfect" working order it is in now. BTW, I do not have a usable remote HD. Have one unit but it burned me once, so am terribly afraid to used it again (ya know?).

Really do appreciate everyone's help in advance.

Thanks so much, James. :smiley: :wink:

If success was easy, then everyone would be doing it. Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. Gateway SX2855

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Re: WINDOWS REPAIR: REGISTRY BACKUP LOCATION, SAFEST REMOTE LOCATION
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 08:00:29 am »
Was there an automatic new tweaked registry backup made? If so where is it located, pls?

The default location is "C:\RegBackup\" (or what ever drive Windows is on). You will need to create a new registry backup to reflect any changes that were subsequently made by the repair program, which will be stored in the same location.

You can use the portable version of Registry Backup to store backups elsewhere, like a thumb drive for instance.
http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/registry_backup.html

Offline James

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 08:36:51 am »
Thanks a bunch Samson!

Did not notice the "portable" version before, so would have been venturing around looking for (??) hours days.
Do really appreciate your helpful input.

OK everyone, looks like the remote registry back subject has been aptly solved.

Anyone know the "How To" on the win7 system restore remote backup?

You time IS appreciated, Jim  :cheesy: :wink:
If success was easy, then everyone would be doing it. Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. Gateway SX2855

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 09:14:55 am »
I don't know if win7 system restore remote backup is possible, system restore is pretty flakey at the best of times.

I'd suggest that a disk image would be of more use, and more reliable....but you have no "reliable" external HDD. A disk image can be done to DVD, but depending on the amount of data would/ could be a real chore and DVDs do have a habit of getting damaged/ scratched.

Do you have a thumb drive of a suitable capacity to match your data on your HDD? If you do then take a look at Macrium Reflect (free), it can be run from a bootable thumb drive in the event of total HDD failure.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/macrium_reflect_free_edition.html

Offline James

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 09:49:50 am »
Yea Samsom, was sort of thinking along the same lines >> a "just because" gut thought thing. Right now grabbing info from the "How to Geek" to do just that but for an inclusive slightly different situation.

You see, when I moved from XP to Win7, got rid of my dilapidated old HP puter and bought two identical Gateway SX2855's with the identical Win7 Home premium 64 bit on each. My form of backup, of its own. Not an image, but close I thought.

But the Puter-1 got the black screen of death with a white cursor on bootup, so that puter is now in fix mode. I want to back up this Puter-2 because I did not have an image made of it but at the same time had no image of the Puter-1.

So was just wondering, can you see any real problem with creating a system repair disk to boot from for this Puter-2 and also a system image backup of this Puter-2.

Then, was thinking with those two Puter-2 dual backup tools in hand, also use the Puter-2 boot disk to open Puter-1 (black screen) and perhaps use the Puter-2 image on the Puter-1 if needed?

Uncharted territory perhaps? Your thoughts are likely much better than mine though, so it all helps!!

BTW, here the HTG articles (if needed)at all:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/5409/create-a-system-repair-disc-in-windows-7/

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-7/ 

Again, really appreciate your time, Jim

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 10:09:53 am »
So, am I right in thinking that you want to make PC1 (currently non functioning) into a clone of PC2?

I don't know if that would work for various reasons, among which are..Is the hardware identical?, one licenced copy shared on 2 machines? Hold fire for a bit, experts with far, far more knowledge, skills and experience than me will be along later and will most likely offer a simple more elegant solution.  :wink:

If the hardware in PC1 is good, then it may be fixable...Or it may just be a donor machine for your current working one. For instance if the HDD is good, then you could use it to store disk images on in your current machine. Like I said, Shane or one of the experts can give you better advice. Meantime if you can list the specs of the machines, and outline the problem with PC1 then that would help them out.

Edit: Maybe best to mark this thread regarding Registry Backup as "Solved" and start a new thread in Computer Help specific to this issue.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 10:13:16 am by Samson »

Offline James

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 10:33:20 am »
Yea, it is a jump from the orig sys-restore to dual PC disc images alright.

But the License's seem not in play, as the OS came along with each machine that were purchased first by Gateway then by me. Have the records to prove too!

Well, in any event thanks so very much for you very helpful input.

Gratefully appreciated, Jim  :undecided: :smiley:

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 10:58:38 am »
You are welcome, glad to have offered some help  :smiley: