Author Topic: Missing files Windows 8.1  (Read 10607 times)

Offline djmarielion

• View Profile
Missing files Windows 8.1
« on: August 09, 2015, 09:37:50 pm »
Hi everyone,

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 15R-5537, running Windows 8.1. The error numbers when trying to install the updates are 80070BC9 and 8007371B.

I've attached the missing files according to the pre-scan, and my results from an sfc scan.

I've been having trouble for weeks when trying to update Windows, so hopefully this is what I need to solve the issue.

Also, when running Windows Repair, it was stuck on 01 (Reset registry permissions) for over 11 hours. I eventually just stopped it because I needed to use my computer outside of safe mode. Is this normal? I'd like to run the program all the way through but it hasn't happened yet.

Thanks for the help. I REALLY appreciate it. This is driving me crazy.

Cheers  :smiley:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 11:08:23 am by djmarielion »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Missing files Windows 8.1
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 12:33:20 pm »
You have to make sure to run the windows repair program in safe mode, otherwise 3rd party programs mess with the repairs and either mess up the repairs or slow it down to a crawl. Such as the registry permissions, there are over 1 million registry keys in the system, think how slow it will go if your av or another program is stopping and scanning everything it is doing :-)

When you get into safe mode make sure to have the program do a registry backup and then make sure to do all the repairs. :wink:

Shane

Offline djmarielion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 02:46:14 pm »
Hi Shane,

Um. I was in Safe Mode the whole time, doing nothing else on the computer. I followed all the instructions.
In fact, I just left it overnight. That's my point... I don't think that's normal.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 02:49:54 pm by djmarielion »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 12:16:26 am »
You are right, it isnt normal at all. Shouldn't ever take that long unless something is messing with it or there is a hardware problem.

Can you try again and this time take a screen shot of the main window of the program so I can see exactly what it says?

Shane

Offline djmarielion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 08:00:16 am »
Hi Shane,

I've attached a screenshot. I just started running it, but this is exactly what it looked like the whole 11 hours. Nothing at all in the log, except what you're seeing. I'll update with another screenshot in a while.

Btw, do you happen to have any of those missing files? Windows Update has been the absolute worst lately. That's why I downloaded your software, actually.

Thanks for your help.

- Joanna

Update: It ran through from 1 to 44, "did the repairs" and rebooted. Now, when I check for updates, these are my options. The update needed to upgrade to Windows 10 is unchecked automatically by Windows. Before there were 14, now there are these.

p.s: should I avoid Silverlight?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 11:31:32 am by djmarielion »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 11:35:56 am »
There was no cmd.exe window running showing what it was doing?

I checked and out of the 242 files missing I have 158 of them. I have to see if I can track down the missing ones for you :-)

Shane

Offline djmarielion

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 02:23:38 pm »
Hi Shane,

Yeah, there was a cmd.exe open the whole time, doing permissions, etc.

Thank you very much with help for the files.

By the way, my computer is running a lot faster after running your software. Thank you!

- Joanna
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 02:25:29 pm by djmarielion »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 02:26:31 pm »
When it happens can you check the task manager and see if setacl is running under the processes tab?

Can you also check the event viewer for anything about an application crash and see if setacl crashed?

Shane

Offline djmarielion

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 02:36:40 pm »
Sorry, but when what happens? Last time I ran the software it didn't pause on 1 this time. It ran all the way through. I'll check the events.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 06:20:38 am »
Ah ok, so it was just that one time it did it. Ok good :-)

Shane

Offline djmarielion

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 01:00:42 pm »
Hi, Shane.

I don't know if you have found those other files yet, but I was thinking that I would just format my computer. However, when I tried to do so, I got this error (attached), which nothing seems to fix. I'd like to just reformat my computer but I can't find my USB with the backup of the OS. Is there any other way or is the error fix-able? 

Thanks for the info.

P.S: When I click on the "link" to check solutions, nothing happens, except it minimizes the 'settings' app.

Update: Still can't format the drive from Windows. Tech wants to charge me $35 to do it?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 05:12:18 pm by djmarielion »

Offline djmarielion

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 01:47:16 am »
Hi, Shane.

Can you please send me the files you have when you see this? I know you don't have all of them but it's something!

Thank you.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 01:54:52 pm »
I can send you what I have, I just put out windows repair v3.4.2

I made a lot of changes, run all the repairs in windows safe mode, backup the registry with it first, and then once it is done reboot and try things out. If they still fail send me a new log of the pre-scan and I will grab the files that I do have :-)

Shane

Offline djmarielion

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 11:55:24 am »
Hey, Shane.

This time it paused on 39 for several hours. Setacl isn't running and doesn't appear to have crashed either. It's now moved on to 40, but it's still been 13 hours. I've attached the screenshot. Cmd.exe has been running the whole time alongside the repair.

I'll let you know what files I'm missing when I'm able to run it all the way through, which hopefully happens on its own. I'll send you the log of the repair, if you'd like, when it does finish.

Cheers.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 12:47:52 pm »
That repair is an odd one. It calls MS's dsim command to cleanup. The first time you run it it goes through pretty smooth. The next time it takes hours and hours and I have no clue why. It will finish, and you should see cpu usage going, which I can see by the screen shot. But man that is a long time!

I have never understood why MS makes commands to do something and it gives no progress report back so a user can know what is going on. They hide that for some reason.

Shane