Author Topic: Windows 10 anyone??  (Read 10258 times)

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
Windows 10 anyone??
« on: August 01, 2015, 04:18:28 am »
Hi all,

Just trying to get some general feedback/opinion on whether it's worth upgrading to W10. I have a W7 desktop and a W8.1 laptop, and have always preferred W7, so much so that I have tweaked my laptop to be more 7 than 8, turning off the apps view and adding classic menu, etc - maybe I'm just an old fart!  :wink:

Anyway I haven't read up much on W10 yet, but plan to, and would appreciate any opinions from any W10 users on here, as I've seen one or two comments on the Help threads and would like to know more about what differences it has to 7/8.1 and whether it would be worth upgrading or not. If I was going to upgrade either machine it'd most likely be the laptop as the desktop has a failing disk so will just run that until it either dies or I get a new one to replace it, and then decide whether it would be worth going from 7 to 10.  :thinking:

Look forward to your replies, cheers.  :smiley:

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
Re: Windows 10 anyone??
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 09:08:08 am »
Yes, I feel the same:  Would like to upgrade, but I am waiting for Shane to say now or later.  And, when will Tweaking Tools work with W10?

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 10:49:41 am »
personally I feel its a much better upgrade from windows 8 and 8.1. the only issue I had was a corsairlink issue which I found a solution to
Julian

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 05:46:32 am »
It's still not all plain sailing yet for quite a few from the threads/posts on other forums - some getting installation problems with others finding compatibility problems.

I think basically, create a full external image and if your machine appears compatible then give it a try and you do get 30 days from within Win 10 to roll back to your previous OS - but go for the Custom install option when you get into it because there are a lot of intrusive options which you should opt out of and decline creating a MS account - although that is a requirement to use Cortana, but MS ask for your phone number.

You may find this article of interest http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/getstarted-whatsnew

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 01:08:50 pm »
@boggin Been picking at the registy and Shane found registy keys that were meant for Windows phone so some stuff was slopped in the registry on Windows 10 tbh Windows 10 flys and gets you to the other side of the ocean but it will be a turbulent ride i have it at moment and upgraded some computers but you have a year to upgrade i predict the next few months you will see a lot of hotfixes running out. Oh im also building a batch file to let you change Windows update settings since Microsoft decided to remove that from the gui.
Julian

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 02:02:18 pm »
I used to have it on this laptop but it had a few problems so I reverted it back to Win 7.

I'm in two minds whether to give it another go because of the intrusive nature of it and MS collecting this that and the other through it.

I can't shake the feeling that MS had other motives for offering this upgrade for free.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 02:35:56 pm »
I used to have it on this laptop but it had a few problems so I reverted it back to Win 7.

I'm in two minds whether to give it another go because of the intrusive nature of it and MS collecting this that and the other through it.

I can't shake the feeling that MS had other motives for offering this upgrade for free.
what better way to test an os thats almost complete than giving it away for free and have all the major kinks fixed yeah its free but that makes people want to upgrade quick so release early find bugs here and there hot fix this and that. Its a great marketing strategy get everyone on the same platform. I dunno just takes the major jump into nt meaning "new technology " what im mainly concerned about is the Windows app store. They took out Windows update cpl in control panel and they are planning on removing control panel completely and convert everything to the settings app and immersive control panel.
Julian

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 02:54:54 pm »
There's still quite a few who cannot run Win 10 because of graphics compatibility problems so not everyone is going to be on the same platform - as for ironing out the bugs, wasn't that what the TP version was for ?

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 03:23:33 pm »
There's still quite a few who cannot run Win 10 because of graphics compatibility problems so not everyone is going to be on the same platform - as for ironing out the bugs, wasn't that what the TP version was for ?
Yes that was for people who wanted to test it. Call an os rtm and force everyone to test it. Now you start seeing all the bugs you did not see during tp because everyone uses computers for so many different things. Now you have a bigger group and they start getting hardware from all sorts of manufactures. To be honest this happened when 7 came out as well it's just Windows can run on sooo many setups.
Julian