Author Topic: Set Windows Services to Default Startup­­­★Need Help  (Read 10926 times)

Offline c2yorkies

• Zoey, Web Applications Developer
    • View Profile
Set Windows Services to Default Startup­­­★Need Help
« on: August 20, 2015, 11:17:56 am »
Windows Repair-AIO-ver3.4.2: Thrilled at the idea of customizing Windows Services (automatic, disabled, demand/manual); so many Services are unique to each one's environment (Networks, Domain, HomeGroup, Wireless/Wired, etc.). It might be nice to run Windows Repair more often--almost as a housekeeping task, rather than as a desperation repair if it were not for the daunting task of re-customize all the Services again. Way to go, Shane!
Backed up the original file services_startup_7.txt and invested considerable amount of time editing the Services based on BlackViper (you and he differed in places--Hmmm...), then I had problems...
Problem #1: Upon restarting Windows Repair, "Startup Check" generates the following
"MD4 Hash Doesn't Match: files\services_startup_7.txt" (refer to first image; second image simply shows some of the edits I inserted). I then used the backup (the original) services_startup_7.txt file to start the program to bypass the error. After Windows Repair was running, I then swapped the edited and original files, in the hopes that the Repair would use my edited Services file--nope, didn't work = Problem #2.
My Info: Windows 7 Pro SP1, 64 bit.
Trying to get a really good cleaned up Windows 7, SP1, 64-bit system image before upgrading to Win10.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Re: Set Windows Services to Default Startup­­­★Need Help
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 12:50:05 pm »
- It's not clear whether or not you used the instructions provided in the info pane to change the Services ?
- The file "Services_start_7.txt" is read when WR is started and not when the user opens the main repairs screen. So, a copy & paste won't work after WR has been started.
(@Shane: to be changed in the next version ???)
- Open the "File_list.txt" with a text editor. It contains the MD4 hash checksums for all the files provided. Remove the line that starts with "files\Services_start_7.txt", save it and restart the program. Problem solved.
- I know that in the past that each repair was incorporated into a separate program but those programs are gone. Perhaps they will return ???
- I also know that the start up states of the different Windows versions were pulled from the OSs itself and not from Blackvipers site. So, those states should be considered to be the default ones for that OS. And BlackViper's opinion regarding the states of the Services seem to differ slightly from the Windows default ones.
- If you feel confident enough then run WR without making a backup (Saves time but not recommended). After all you Always can re-install WR again if you have the installation program. Or make a backup of the Original file.
- I personally would recommend to do a fresh clean install of Windows 10 instead of an upgrade of Win 7.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 12:55:46 pm »
- It's not clear whether or not you used the instructions provided in the info pane to change the Services ?
- The file "Services_start_7.txt" is read when WR is started and not when the user opens the main repairs screen. So, a copy & paste won't work after WR has been started.
(@Shane: to be changed in the next version ???)
- Open the "File_list.txt" with a text editor. It contains the MD4 hash checksums for all the files provided. Remove the line that starts with "files\Services_start_7.txt", save it and restart the program. Problem solved.
- I know that in the past that each repair was incorporated into a separate program but those programs are gone. Perhaps they will return ???
- I also know that the start up states of the different Windows versions were pulled from the OSs itself and not from Blackvipers site. So, those states should be considered to be the default ones for that OS. And BlackViper's opinion regarding the states of the Services seem to differ slightly from the Windows default ones.
- If you feel confident enough then run WR without making a backup (Saves time but not recommended). After all you Always can re-install WR again if you have the installation program. Or make a backup of the Original file.
- I personally would recommend to do a fresh clean install of Windows 10 instead of an upgrade of Win 7.
and said perfectly lol except I don't think it pulls from a text file it pulls from a reg file key.
Edit:
belay that it does pull from a txt file.

usually what I do instead of deleting the key in the file_list is I copy the md4 that it outputted as incorrect and copy it to that one. ;)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 12:58:17 pm by Julian »
Julian

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 01:02:17 pm »
- The states were pulled from the registry originally from the registry and then put into a text file (e.g. "Services_start_7.txt").
- There's is even a discrepancy between what WR and Win 7 thinks the default state should be for - at least - one Service.
- The current set up for changing the Services was made deliberately this way. Making it more easy would also make it more easy for non-experienced users to ruin one's system.

- Good suggestion regarding replacing the MD4 hash.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 01:16:38 pm by Willy2 »

Offline c2yorkies

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 01:44:02 pm »
Sorry for the confusion: I had already run Windows Repair, so I had already lost my customized Services. Prior to running WR for a second time, I saved a backup copy of the services_startup_7.txt file (which is in the folder "Windows Repair (All in One)/files"). I send edited and saved the services_startup_7.txt file while WR was not running. I then started WR; I received the hash error; I exited WR. I restored the backup (original) services_startup_7.txt file; WR then started without a hash error. After WR opened, I tried the switch-e-roo between edited and original services_startup_7.txt files--hey, I'm a developer/programmer; hated to have all of my time go to waste. There was nothing to lose by seeing if it would use the edited version.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 02:09:12 pm »
- Did you make a backup of the registry with the program Tweaking's Registry Backup (included in WR) ? Before using WR for the 1st time ? Then you can restore the registry to that previous state and the start up state of Services are stored in the registry !!!!
- I would recommend to install a separate version of Tweaking's Registry Backup as well. It makes a copy of the registry upon start up using Task Scheduler. Can save A LOT OF hassle !!!!

Offline c2yorkies

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 02:35:20 pm »
Willy2: Yes, I made a backup of the Registry and a System Image before I ran WR; Shane's Registry backup runs through Task Scheduler at log on of any user and has been there forever--has saved my butt several times! It's not a big deal for me to reconfigure the system Services. I have other things--Change DNS Servers, Advanced System Tweaker, etc. I'm sure I've read every tip, trick, and article the main site (not the Forum); just never been chatty before this latest round of frustrations (some Microsoft updates/patches going bad, "class not recognized" errors, etc.).  :wink: Really appreciate your helping hand & support!

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 03:05:29 pm »
- :cheesy: :wink:
- REcommend WR to your friends !!!!

Offline c2yorkies

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 03:35:17 pm »
I do; I do!!! Have posted on Facebook in the past--been offline for months, but going back online in a month or so. With Windows 10, there'll be a huge need--my prediction is there's corruption looming given the mismatched hardware/software and the almost-force upgrade. :-)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 12:11:48 pm »
- Agree. I already have seen reports of drivers, designed for Win 7 & Win 8, not working in Win 10. won't upgrade to Win 10 anytime soon. Let other people bear the brunt of failing drivers.
- Another question: Do you think the text in the info pane for is good ? Perhaps it needs improvement ?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 01:27:27 am »
Sorry for the late reply, been working insane hours, 3 days straight at a time lol

In the folder with the program is a file called file_list.txt this holds the hash info the program checks at startup. It isnt any form of security it is just there because sometimes people would have bad sectors and one of the repair files would become corrupt or they had files missing and so the repairs failed. So I have the program check them at startup.

If you make changes to any files and want to use them just remove them from that file_list.txt file and the program will skip it on its checks :-)

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 07:27:08 am »
- The Original state for the "WLan" is "Disabled' when one installs a fresh copy of Win 7. But when that Service is "Enabled when one installs the WiFi drivers.