Author Topic: VSS Running but Backup Regsitry Says it is not  (Read 7433 times)

Offline trm2

• View Profile
VSS Running but Backup Regsitry Says it is not
« on: August 21, 2015, 03:43:39 pm »
Hello.

I have no problem running the backup program - 'Successful - 11/11'  using Windows 7, however it used the fallback method.  The program states that Volume Shadow Copy is not running and Volume Shadow Copy is not ready.  I have verified that VSS is on Automatic, the List providers command all show stable with no previous error, I can create restore points and further I ran Shadow Explorer to make sure that the restore points were okay.

Please advise.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: VSS Running but Backup Regsitry Says it is not
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 04:14:27 pm »
Hello.

I have no problem running the backup program - 'Successful - 11/11'  using Windows 7, however it used the fallback method.  The program states that Volume Shadow Copy is not running and Volume Shadow Copy is not ready.  I have verified that VSS is on Automatic, the List providers command all show stable with no previous error, I can create restore points and further I ran Shadow Explorer to make sure that the restore points were okay.

Please advise.
hmmmmmmm lets see open up system protection tab under system properties and take a snapshot of that tab I wanna see what it says.
Julian

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 04:32:38 pm »
- Try running Windows Repair first.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 04:54:12 pm »
I may be wrong, but.....Is n't the default setting "Always use Fallback Backup Method Instead of Volume Shadow Copy", unless unchecked in Advanced settings.

This would explain the OP's symptoms.

The Volume Shadow Copy service is only started when the default is changed, then the fallback backup runs if the Volume Shadow Copy service fails to start. I think Shane did this to ensure that users with a crocked Volume Shadow Copy service could still backup their registry prior to repairs.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 05:14:17 pm by Samson »

Offline trm2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 05:16:01 pm »
That's it!

You hit the nail on the head.  Did not expect the advanced settings to show the fallback as the default since the program page on the website pretty much says that it uses the Volume Shadow Service. 

Thanks!

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 05:24:16 pm »
That's it!

You hit the nail on the head.  Did not expect the advanced settings to show the fallback as the default since the program page on the website pretty much says that it uses the Volume Shadow Service. 

Thanks!

You are welcome, glad to have helped. I agree, the GUI does suggest that VSS would be the default, but it is n't.

I use the  VSS method, that is how I figured what you were seeing  :wink:

Like I said, it's fine if VSS is working, but I'm sure that Shane set the fallback as default in case the VSS was crocked, so users would still be able to backup their registry.  If the VSS fails or takes too long, then you can elect to use the fallback method if you want.