Author Topic: MSI missing from computer - how can I fix this?  (Read 12110 times)

Offline alirei

• View Profile
MSI missing from computer - how can I fix this?
« on: August 31, 2015, 04:43:25 pm »
Hi,

I have the attached error screens popup when i start windows indicating that msi.dll is missing from my computer and the [.shellclassinfo] info in notepad.

The back story:
This laptop is running windows 7 -64 bit. It had a hard drive that failed and I was unable to repair. I cloned the partitions that were still ok, but the main partition had corrupt files. I copied all of the files that would come over from the corrupted partition. I managed to get windows 7 loading on the new hard drive, but am stuck with this error.

I found out about tweaking.com and have run your repair program a couple of times, but this error is persistent. I have attached the logs from the last run of the all-in-one repair.

I noticed in another post you recommended Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, but I was unable to install it as it needs msi.dll also.

Could you please guide me as to what I need to do next. I am stuck and am reluctant to reinstall windows without advice.

Thanks
Ali

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: MSI missing from computer - how can I fix this?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 05:17:42 am »
There's a couple of things you can try.

Boot up into the Advanced Boot options - select Repair your Computer and navigate to the Recovery Environment.

Select Command Prompt and enter bcdedit |find "osdevice"

That is a Pipe symbol before find.

Using whichever partition letter it gives - enter chkdsk x: /f where x is the partition letter.

If that doesn't resolve and your install disk includes SP1 then boot up with that, press enter with Windows Set up (EMS Enabled) highlighted and again navigate to the Recovery Environment to select Command Prompt.

You already know the partition letter, so enter using that partition letter (assuming C) -

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows and see what that reports.

That should replace the missing .dll but this article will show you how to extract the .dll from your install disk. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/42776-extract-files-windows-7-installation-dvd.html

Offline alirei

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 05:54:38 am »
Hi Boggin,

Thanks for your help.

I tried the first section with bcdedit without success.

I don't have a copy of Windows 7 on disk and as it is an OEM loaded laptop, I can't download from the Microsoft site now that they have changed it all.
Do you have any suggestions on where else this might be available, otherwise I will need to order it from HP at a fee. It is Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

Thanks
Ali

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 08:00:26 am »
Hi Boggin,

Thanks for your help.

I don't have a copy of Windows 7 on disk and as it is an OEM loaded laptop, I can't download from the Microsoft site now that they have changed it all.
Do you have any suggestions on where else this might be available, otherwise I will need to order it from HP at a fee. It is Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

Thanks
Ali

Here you go.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 08:46:51 am »
@ Samson - that method is no good because you need to have a valid retail key and alirei has said it is HP OEM machine.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 08:58:17 am »
@ Samson - that method is no good because you need to have a valid retail key and alirei has said it is HP OEM machine.

Thanks Boggin, learnt something new, every day is a schoolday.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 09:03:54 am »
Hi Boggin,

Thanks for your help.

Thanks
Ali

That's not a problem as I can burn you a couple of disks (one spare) - just PM me your address and I can post them off tomorrow for you.

They are created from a Win 7 x64 Pro SP1 with the eicfg file removed to make them universal and can be used for the offboot sfc /scannow or to extract the file.

They can also be used for a repair install but only with a valid retail key.

In the meantime have a look at this article to see if any of the steps help.  http://www.solvusoft.com/en/files/missing-not-found-error/dll/windows/microsoft-corporation/windows-7-operating-system/msi-dll/
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 09:07:39 am by Boggin »

Offline alirei

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 06:29:52 pm »
Hi Boggin,

Thanks for the offer of sending the disks.

I followed the link that you had and went through some of the steps. I have solved my msi.dll problem - hooray! I feel so relieved.

In the end, it was the easiest solution that has worked. I managed to hook up the old hard drive and searched and copied the file to the new hard drive.

I still have the following message come up in notepad on start up:

desktop.ini
[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21787

Do you have any ideas on what this is?

Thanks
Ali
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 06:34:15 pm by alirei, Reason: additional info »

Offline alirei

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 07:06:24 pm »
I was just reading that a desktop.ini error can result from registry errors

I also noticed on another post, Boggin, that you only recommend CCleaner. I downloaded this software and ran the issue finder. It has identified hundreds of issues. I haven't run the fix yet, as i would love your feedback first. Is there particular settings that are best?

Thanks
Ali

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 12:55:15 am »
That's good news about the msi.dll.

While I would need reminding of that thread, I may have referenced this article http://www.solvusoft.com/en/files/error-missing-download/ini/windows/microsoft-corporation/microsoft-windows/desktop-ini/ and understand why I recommended CCleaner.

CCleaner is one of the safer registry cleaners but I would still create a restore point before running its registry cleaner as I've never been able to restore from the back up it provides.

You can safely use the default settings but first uncheck the box for ActiveX and Class Issues before running the scan.

Following an exact Google search on your error message, I've found that MS has a proper fix for it. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/330132

While it says Applies to XP I think it should also work in Win 7, but you can also try the manual steps.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 02:11:51 am by Boggin »