Author Topic: edit schedule  (Read 19952 times)

Offline peterr

• View Profile
edit schedule
« on: July 07, 2012, 08:08:12 am »
I'm sorry to send two emails but I could edit before this new version and now that it takes one to the task scheduler I think you will loses average people like me.
I don't understand it. It is drifting away from the simple neat program it was for all to the one for more advanced users. I don't think the average user can handle the task scheduler but could use the version prior to this. I think some of the suggestions are leading to complexity but away from the average guy.
If I remove this 1.2.1 and install the previous one will there be any security risks or functionality problems?
Thanx again
Peter

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: edit schedule
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 01:07:40 pm »
What do you mean?

Nothing has changed with the task scheduler. It uses it like it always has :-)

Shane

Offline peterr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 03:19:55 pm »
Shane
In the last ver., you could click on create or edit schedule and the task scheduler did not appear. It was a box that was ez to work with. I only had to set the day etc
There were only  three tabs to work with not the task scheduler itself.
When I click create a task or edit one the task scheduer opens.
I tried all afternoon to learn how to set a schedule with the task scheduler but it would not work.
I swear, the ez 3 tab box no longer appears;it is the entire task scheduler. That is why I say, most people like me will be lost for a schedule. Only skilled users will be able to use that feature.
Why can't we use the previous version which was easy but did it all?
Peter

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 06:40:45 pm »
Just one extra step now.

When the task scheduler opens you just right click on the schedule for the reg repair and hit properties :-)

The old way wasnt the correct way for Windows 7, it was the old xp way. I had to get that fixed.

Shane

Offline peterr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 05:25:33 am »
Shane
I have clicked on everything in the task scheduler and none of us can see

"just right click on the schedule for the reg repair and hit properties :-)"

Where is that?   Also, can we perform a manual backup and restore or has that changed too?
I wonder if people with Win 7 who go to the program are going to know to go to the repair you are referring me to whcih i still cannot find.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 06:23:11 am by peterr »

Offline peterr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 07:20:16 am »
I kept working at the task scheduler and finally got it to run. It runs on the desktop but not the laptop.
I do not think average users will be so lucky so when you get the chance I woud like to know where the repair is you refer to.
Is there an easier way? than configuring the task scheduler which is hard unless you have been there before.
Peter
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 08:32:03 am by peterr »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 12:43:18 pm »

Offline peterr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 02:49:42 pm »
Shane
I thought you were making a registry backup and restore the average use could simply use as when you had the 3 tabs. Now it appears the program is for more advanced users.
Also I am reading threads where you need to do more work.
I am really disappointed as we have moved from the 4th grade to college overnight.
The task scheduler is not a feature average users can handle without error.
I saw where the program almost drained the battery and read about that in the Task Scheduler referral.

Is it easier to use the uninstaller for the program or Revo to uninstall this registry program?
I have a lot of apologies to make as I misled people.
I tried the lap with Revo and never saw as many different options and caveats trying to uninstall.
I may have to use Acronis.
Good luck

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 02:54:18 pm »
Just because my program uses the task scheduler you think it is for advanced users?

How do you think that? It has always used the task scheduler. before it was just the xp task scheduler interface instead of the Windows 7 one.

The program itself is still one click backup. And you can leave it to the default schedule as well.

My program isn't the task scheduler, that is a different program built into windows. Almost every backup program out there uses the task scheduler or has its own scheduler as well.

My program is still, open, click backup, done. Thats simple.

I have a lot of apologies to make as I misled people.

That upsets me. You misled no one. And because you don't know how to use something built into Windows you say my program is now for advanced users. That isnt fair.

Shane

Offline chris635

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 04:21:54 pm »
Hi Peterr

Shane is correct. The task scheduler is part of windows not his back up program. Task scheduler is used by many different programs including windows to support back ground operations. Task scheduler is a great program in windows that the user his/herself could also take advantage of. Shane has done this in order to run the back up program at a specific time for people who wish to do so (like me). If you don't wish to run it at a specific time then don't, just click back up now. If you do want to run it at a certain time then you need to learn how to use the task scheduler built by Microsoft. Take your time with it and try it. Once you learn it you will realize it's not that difficult. I am not an advanced user (Shane can vouch for that LOL!). I am certain once you learn the task scheduler, it will be piece of cake for ya. Try not to get too upset with it, it still is a very AVERAGE USER great piece of software. Shane does his best to try and keep it as stupid simple as he can (I certainly need it that way!). I know your frustrated, you just need to learn Microsoft's task scheduler. Google on how to use it or Shane and I or a whole bunch of people on this site would be glad to help you with it.

Chris
Physical Science Technician
Avid Motorcyclist

Have a nice day - Chris

Offline neroilo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 05:27:17 am »
Shane
I have clicked on everything in the task scheduler and none of us can see

"just right click on the schedule for the reg repair and hit properties :-)"

Where is that?

Is there an easier way? than configuring the task scheduler which is hard unless you have been there before.

This extra step doesn't make it only for advanced users, as you wrote before.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 07:22:17 am by neroilo »

Offline peterr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 06:00:08 am »
This began as a program like the one that had three tabs(turned out to be for xp) then progressed to the task scheduler.
The idea was to supplant ERUNT which was hard to use by average users. Most average users cannot use the TS.
I did learn the TS if you read my post to him as I set a schedule for the desktop, although could not for the laptop. Getting the scheduler involved results in 'just one more thing to fix'.
Typical of emails lacking inntonation etc this is out of proportion. I was going to write him with more smiley faces so it woud not cause hard feelings. I am not a rude or inconsiderate person but I have some people who are not happy and they blame me as I led them to this program.
All I am saying is that this was supposed to be easier than it turned out to be. I was reading another thread where there are still some issues to fix. I thought this was done in Beta and the release was
basically as planned.
I offer you, Shane and all who red this an olive branch.
Peter

Offline neroilo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 06:25:57 am »
All programs have always something to fix, even after beta releases. Most important thing in these cases is the support provided by the program's developer(s).
But yours is a different thing, because you're complaining about a Microsoft feature without to explain us what is the exact problem that you've received in your laptop.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 07:25:23 am by neroilo »

Offline peterr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 08:17:33 am »
I am trying to keep peace first of all.
The issue never was the TS.
I thought we would have a program that was like the xp one Shane created but needed to fix for Win 7 -that is when the TS came into the picture.

I did get the desktop to run using the TS but the laptop was being drained of power quickly, using a lot of resources ultimately, unlike the desktop, could not create a back up in  a dozen tries.
It reported stopped in the library.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 10:42:31 am »
I thought we would have a program that was like the xp one Shane created but needed to fix for Win 7 -that is when the TS came into the picture.

The program was making the old task scheduler in the XP interface only. I fixed it to when not on XP, it creates the correct one. Thats all the change there was to the schedule.

I did get the desktop to run using the TS but the laptop was being drained of power quickly, using a lot of resources ultimately, unlike the desktop, could not create a back up in  a dozen tries.

If the task scheduler is draining power then you might have a rule in there that is set to run often and bring the system out of standby to run. Otherwise the only way any program could make a system use more power is if it is using a lot of cpu, memory or video at the time since those need more power to run at full speed. :wink:

If the task scheduler wasn't running the backup and no backups where being made then sounds like something is wrong with the task scheduler.

Where you able to backup  on the laptop with the program manually? The new versions of the program are set to fall back to the API backup like erunt if the volume shadow copy service fails.

Shane

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 10:54:29 am »
If a program is easy, the settings are usually set in a specific manner, that you can not change if you want to, if you are lucky, you get  the way you want, if you are unlucky, you get in a way you don't want want it to be.

If you look at ERUNT, during installation you get this question: Setup can add a shortcut to your Start menu's Startup folder so That ERUNT creates a bacukup of your registry Each time Windows is started. Which means that  ERUNT adds all the backups to the folder "C:\Windows\ERUNT" And you can't change it to something else.
In "Tweaking.com - Registry Backup" you can change the backup location, but if you leave it as it is from start it will backup in "C:\RegBackup\". So ERUNT isn't easier in that respect.

So with autobackup in "ERUNT" the program ask when you install it: AutoBackup will always keep recent registry copies of 30 days. Create an ERUNT entry in the Startup folder?
I think it means that ERUNT create one copy per day and saves the copies for 30 days.
With "Tweaking.com - Registry Backup" you have to choose yourself if you want use the Schedule option, if you want, you have to click "Create Schedule" and "Tweaking.com - Registry Backup" makes a copy everytime a user logs in to windows and save it for 30 days or you can choose for yourself.
Erunt doesn't use Task Scheduler, but it's in similar way, with the difference to "Tweaking.com - Registry Backup" that you can not choose for yourself.
The advantage with "Tweaking.com - Registry Backup" is that you can choose many different settings and also that the "Tweaking.com - Registry Backup" takes advantages of Task Scheduler.

I have read that some people have problems with ERUNT'S autobackup in Windows 7: "Some have had problems with the autobackup feature in Windows 7. This feature makes a complete registry backup every day. For some this doesn't work, so you can accomplish this using the Task Scheduler instead."
http://www.sevenforums.com/software/110635-run-erunt-autobackup-task-windows-7-a.html

Tomas
Dell Laptop XPS L501X Intel i5-560M(2.66GHz), Win 7 Home Prem(SP1) 64 Bit, 4 GB RAM. Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256 GB.

Offline chris635

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 11:48:19 am »
Peter

I didn't take it as if you were trying to start trouble. I just wanted to see if there was anything I could do to help you. As far as I am concerned everything is fine  :cheesy: Sounds like your laptop isn't running right. I have vista and 1 gig of ram on my lap top with no problems. I wonder if you have some background process running that don't need to be.

Chris
Avid Motorcyclist

Have a nice day - Chris

Offline peterr

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 02:28:28 pm »
Both of my pcs run fine with printing, surfing, and all programs. I can do  what I want to. The only glitch was when I tried to set the schedule for tweaks program on the laptop. It indicated it would not stop running at one time then another time it said it stopped. The settings were indentical to the desktop which worked. There may have been a common sense setting that I changed I don't remember. I know I would have checked it not to keep running.
I have other programs set to run on schedules like av etc a with no trouble.
I think the program is good for many people but just not for me as there is a gap between what I thought it would be and what it is. I may change my mind later but I had an awful time removing it from the laptop -I saw new terms like abort etc. I like programs that provide a thorogh removal. -don't you?
I agree one can use the default schedule and can manually back up and restore.
I guess I am a bit worn down from all this techie stiuff I was trying to avoid. I realy do wish you all the best with your program and thank you for your past help.
If you suspect problems with my scheduler I am open to suggetions but I don't think it is faaulty.
I know you will eventually have a smooth runing program and I will tell people what is good about it not otherwise.
Peter

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 02:32:11 pm »
Wonder if the program was stuck? and so didnt close. You must not reboot the laptop much or it would have been killed at reboot.

Instead of having the schedule run under the system account have it run under the normal user instead. This way you will see the program, and if it is having trouble you will see it.

So reboot if you haven't done so in a while. (You should always reboot at least once a week if you currently don't. I shut down my pc every night at bed time. There is no benefit to leaving Windows running)

Once backup open the reg backup and have it delete the schedule.

Then have put it on run as current user and have it create the new schedule and then see how things go from there :wink:

Shane

Offline peterr

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 03:10:07 pm »
It did appear as if it was stuck. My machines are rebooted a couple of times a day.
I have all Tweak's information in  a folder.
Thank you for your help.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 03:11:52 pm »
Do the new schedule as the current user and lets see if we can find out why it is getting stuck :cheesy:

Shane

Offline chris635

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 05:50:38 pm »
Current user is what I have always run mine as. No problems on both desk top and lap top.

Chris
Avid Motorcyclist

Have a nice day - Chris

Offline peterr

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2012, 12:25:43 pm »
I presently do not have the reg back up in either pc after using Acronis so I can let some time go by and reval.
However, I just dropped another referral to Tweaking.com's  reg back up in a Windows 7 forum as I continue to do the same in other places.
Peter