Author Topic: Disc repair and check disc both hang up before they are finished  (Read 14878 times)

Offline W827haneghan

• View Profile
Disc repair and check disc both hang up before they are finished
« on: September 09, 2015, 06:07:01 pm »
Vista service pack 2
  Today when I ran your program checkn disc froze about two thirds of the way through the check emty clusters . I let it run for several hours and it was stil on the same cluster . It was turned off and started a second time and the same thing happened at the same spot on the disc .
  Windows repair froze on section three - Reset Service Permissions -  of the repairs . I tried this again and got the same results . It would rum for a couple minuted and the stop on repair servise permisssions . This time I had it quit working on section 4 . It finished the rest of the repairs in a few minutes .What suggestions do you have about fixing this ? There are several other problems wit my laptop that I will start another post on .
I notice the log folder has the wrong times on the logs .
Thank you for your help
I tried to send the logs files but the attach wouldn't work .

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Re: Disc repair and check disc both hang up before they are finished
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 03:33:22 am »
Hi, hanegan

what is meant by these words in your post
                    "I tried to send the logs files but the attach wouldn't work" .
                             You could send the log files easily by  browsing and selecting the file. If the log file is too large, then you could edit the log file and copy the required logs for Shane to analyse.
                                           Did you try the latest version available?
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline W827haneghan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 02:36:01 pm »
Toshibe satellite L355 vista sp2
  I mean Windows will not let me add any attachments to my Yahoo mail . Also I can not upload pictures to Friendlife or Facebook . I ran Ccleaner last night to do a secure wipe (overwrite 35 times) of the emty space on my hard drive . Ater that Check Disc and Tweakings Windows Repair worked fine but there are still a lot of problems on my pc .
I have files turning to shortcuts to the file . When I click on the shortcut I get a message that I don't have permission to access this program . If I right click and click explore the original folder will open . If I close it the original folderand its contents are gone . I have been making a new folder and while the original foder is open I copy and paste the contents to the new folder .Then I close the original file and it is gone . Windows Explorer can not find it . I then go back and use AVG file shredder on the shortcut That took over the original file .Then I rename the new folder after the old one . I have had to do this with my pistures folder this morning .
I started having a lot of problems with my pc after a folder (C:\$RECYCLE.BIN;) just suddenly appeared an my C drive a while back I don't have permission to do anything with this folder .The original C:\Recycle Bin is gone and now a hidden file named C:\RECYCLE BIN has replaced it .I have had show hidden file and folders checked since june 2009 when this was new .

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 10:05:33 pm »
Hi, I think you are infested with new folder virus or recyclebin virus.
                            You could simply use adware cleaner to clean the virus. It will scan and pop up awaiting you to delete the items on different tabs in the opening screen after scanning.
                                 Just select the suspicious, and it will clean. I will not recommend ccleaner, as it sometimes aggressively deleting the files, causing unwanted cleaning.
                                          The symptom of shortcut, newfolder  etc, definitely a virus problem. First get rid of those and then try other things.

Offline W827haneghan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 02:23:33 pm »
Toshiba Sattelite L355 vista sp 2
I know I have a virus but microsoft forum told me there is nothing wrong with my computer . A while back I had a file suddenly appear on my C drive - C:\$RECYCLE.BIN; - Microsoft forums told me this is a normal windows folder . If so why did it suddenly appear after six years of use on this pc . This folder along with all the folders that turned into shortcuts have EVERYONE in control .When I go to the security tab in the properties window and try to remove EVERYONE I get a popup saying I don't have permission to make these changes . It also says EVERYONE is inheriting permissions from its parent . The first time I run across EVERYONE in cotrol of a folder and tried to change it I got a message from windows help satind that in earlier versions of windows if you deleted everyone then no one could access the folder but that has been corrected in newer versions of windows . I don't know if this is connected to the other problems but I get a lot of webpages that quit responding . Sometimes there is a pop up saying that a long running script causing the problem . After I run Tweakings windows repair For a while I can delete EVERYONE from the folders permission list . After a while I can no longer make these changes and the ones I had changed are back to EVERYONE controlling the folder . spyhunter4 and AVG both did remote control scans of my pc and could not find anything . I was using AVAST Free antivirus and am now running AVG Free and neither of Them has found anything I uninstalled spyhunter4 and bought Malwarebytes Antimalware and it hasn't found anything either . I am seriously thinking of tossing the hard drive and installing a new one . I ran Ccleaner free space wipe and that seemed to help some . After that Check Disc worked alright And on Tweakings Windows Repair repair section it was able to run till it finished without any problems .I still can't send attachments or pictures or anything to anyone either by email or uploading to a website .

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 04:13:32 am »
Hi, Did you use adw cleaner, a reputed free ware.
                             From the goings, i suspect your computer is infested with recycle virus, which will recreate the folders and make all the folders as short cut. But , the adw cleaner or junkware removal tool by thisusu.org in his site, would do well to remove. The virus is not attacking your pc, buy annoying with popups and its evil design of recreation.
                                        I would recommend that you do the scan with these in safe mode. AS for av programs, some programs delete some virus, which others would not. Why cannot you trust mse tool, which is updated each day.
                                                 Tossing away hardware is serious, for that you could destroy the hdd totally.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 08:57:03 pm »
When chkdsk fails or gets hung up it is almost always because of bad sectors on the drive.

First thing to do would be to backup your data to another drive as soon as you can.

Shane

Offline W827haneghan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 02:30:43 pm »
After I did a secure wipe ( 35 time write over ) of the free space wiyh Ccleaner Check Disc works fine . There are still two of tweaking.Coms programs that do not work . Registry Compressor shuts down and the computer restarts as soon as I click on the compress button . Windows repair took over four hours to finish today the repair windows section of Windows repair got stuck on resetting permissions for several hours the first tome I used it but the wipe With Ccleaner helped that also . I am having problems now with the curser jumping aroun while I am typing . Also sometimes when I am typing gibberish shows up on the screen . The letters will be all scrambled up .
 I got rid of AVG free antivirus and now have a 30 daytrial of Zone Alarm Extreme Security . I am now using Malwarebytes and ZoneAlarm as my only security programs . If the ZoneAlarm works out I will probably buy it . I still have a paid version of Spthunter 4 But I uninstalled that .

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 10:57:48 pm »
Have you done a memory test yet as well? Also when you did the chkdsk scan again did you do the /r instead of the /f ? That /r will check for bad sectors (5 steps) while the /f (3 steps) will only check the current data.

Shane

Offline W827haneghan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 03:03:32 pm »
Windows Vista 32 bit in 6 year old Toshiba Satellite intel 585

I did the chackdisc r . I went ahead and bought ZoneAlarm Extreme Security and Malwarebytes Premium and those are the two security programs that I am running now . I have been having other problems too . I tried to install Eraser and windows said that it could not install the program correctly because dll files are missing . then I got another windows message saying that .net needs to be reinstalled . I still have those 12 updates that I have been trying to insall for two weels now . 11 of them are for .net and the other one is for IE9 . I get error code 643 .When I looked this up it said to reinstall .net framework .
   Also when I uninstalled AVG Free it left over two hundred files and folders that did not uninstall . I have tried to delete them but windows says that as administrator I don't have permission to do this . There is a user called EVERYONE that is inheriting permissions for them and has complete control over them . Avast Free also left a lot of stuff behind when I uninstalled it . Ccleaner has not touched any of this stuff .
Does anyone have any idea what I need to do ?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 03:33:47 pm »
Remnants of AVG and Avast wouldn't normally cause any problems because neither have their own firewall, but use the relevant Uninstallers in this article for each, rebooting before doing the other. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/wiki/mse-protect_start/list-of-anti-malware-product-removal-tools/2bcb53f7-7ab4-4ef9-ab3a-6aebfa322f75

Make a note of the .NET Framework versions that are listed in Programs and Features and a Google for each download should get you the MS download site for each.

Start with the lowest version.

You may not have to uninstall each before downloading afresh, but it can help if you do and that will clear out any corruption.

If you still have problems with the .NET Framework updates after doing this, can you open a command prompt as an admin and perform a sfc /scannow.

If it reports that it is unable to repair some files, can you then enter -

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will put an icon onto your Desktop that will open the CBS Log in Notepad which you can then copy & paste into the reply box.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 03:56:06 pm by Boggin »

Offline W827haneghan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 06:49:23 pm »

I can not open the CBS file . I tried to drag and drop it here but when I do that my internet connection shuts down . I also tried to send tou the AVG files with about the same results . I was not able to copy and paste or drag and drop it either.
What now ?

Offline W827haneghan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 06:58:45 pm »
   the
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt
did not work either . I copied  and pasted it into the command prompt window and nothing happened .

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 07:11:45 pm »
You need to take the drive out and run a chkdsk /r on it from another system.

Also I dont know if you didnt answer or perhaps I missed it with how tired I am lol But have you done a memory test on the system yet?

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 07:14:13 pm »
Hi, Hanegan,
                      No need to worry. Just open your note pad by run it as admin. Then browse to the directory where the cbs. log is shown. It will open. Find the problematic missing or corrupted files . Just do not post all the logs . Try to look for yourself what are the corrupted or missing files and then copy the same from the same version computers.

Offline W827haneghan

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 08:52:10 pm »
There are a lot of folders and files that as admistrator i do not have am denies access to.The cbs log is one of the files that the computer says I am denied permission to open them .

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2015, 02:20:31 am »
You always get Access Denied on the CBS Log.

I don't know why that command didn't work but another workaround is to right click on the CBS log and Send it to Documents where it will open in whatever program you assign to it but I have that set to Notepad.

When you view it like that, it has all of the rest of the bumf in it whereas when you use that command, it just shows what it has and hasn't been able to repair.

Have you done the memory test as Shane has asked ?

Offline W827haneghan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2015, 07:14:24 pm »
I understand that you need time away from this for your family on the weekends . I do not mind if it takes a couple of days to get an answer .Thank you for the help you have provided and for the answers to my future questions .

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you the AVG removal tool got rid of all 236 AVG files and folders that were left on my pc . I used another tool fix dot net and it left a cbs file that I can open . What am I looking for in this data. Also I still can't install the .net updates from microsoft . There are emty folders in the .net folder . .net framework is not listed in the programs and features section of the control panel . There is no uninstall for the .net framework . I fuond a page at mirosoft forums that han all the downloads for .net from the beginning . Do you think it would be alright to delete the C:\programs\,net folder and down load the whole thing fron the beginning ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2015, 10:46:21 pm »
Hi, Before Shane takes the thread,
                          Yes. You could as well copy the cbs.log to another folder and open it thro notebook. It is a text file. You cannot access the cbs.log at its location.
                               I told you to open the notepad as admin and open it there itself. Did you try. You have to execute the
in the command prompt to only get the problematic entries from the log. It will list what you miss in Windows integrity files needed for system to run. If you just open the log, it will have more entries of the log of sfc and will not pinpoint the errors.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2015, 12:21:26 am »
I would just go ahead with the .NET installs without deleting anything and then see if they update.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2015, 01:34:31 pm »
What did you do first - the chkdsk /r or the sfc /scannow and what did the chkdsk /r report ?

What exactly failed when you tried that command to put the CBS log icon onto the Desktop ?

You could still post the full CBS log that you have access to, it's just that in full, it isn't so easy to read.

Offline W827haneghan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2015, 02:09:36 pm »
There are a large number of files that I do not have access to because a user called-EVERYONE  - has inherited permissons to them . This user just suddenly appeared one day and he is slowly taking over my pc .

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2015, 03:18:48 pm »
A lot of files have EVERYONE listed with full permissions as normal.

Do you have a specific file that didn't originally have EVERYONE listed in its users but does now.

If you think your machine is infected then I would advise you to register and open a thread in the Security Arena of http://www.sysnative.com/forums/ where experts will check out your system.

There are good antimalware scanners such as the free version of MBAM and a scan by ESET Online Free Scanner, but those Sysnative guys will have tools that look deep into your system and when they say it is clean - then it will be clean.

You may have to install .NET for some of them to work though.

However, if you can post the chkdsk and CBS logs, they will assist either Shane or Julian when they return on Monday.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2015, 10:22:20 pm »
Sorry for taking so long to post back. But I am only one person and I was on a 3 week programming session working days in a row. Thank goodness I am finished with that!

So how are things going so far?

Shane