Main Forum > General Computer Support

[SOLVED]Vista Help Pls - Bad Install (and then some!)

<< < (3/5) > >>

RaveRocks:
What a day!  This is pure opera drama without the singing and orchestra.  Or maybe a Quentin Tarantino movie with an all cat, dog and monkey cast.  So last night about 3am, I discovered a complete install of Tweaking.com's Windows Repair tool AND IT WORKS.  It was in the C:\Temp directory . . . not where I'd expect to find it. It was there since September 15th, 2015.  I decided I was on the verge of needing toothpicks to keep my eyes open and left the repair attempts until after my daily three cups of coffee and breakfast (details on twitter, HA!).

Windows Vista is a cursed operating system and until mid-September, I had no clue as to why.  As soon as I can, I will abandon it for good.  Safe Mode, for example, does not include support for either a Serial Bus keyboard or a USB keyboard, so when I see the message "Press any key to continue" in a CMD window, I know I'm doomed.  I used the Administrator account for both of this afternoon's repair sessions, mostly because its account does not require a password at sign on.  After the repairs, when I log in to my normal passworded account, I am unable to use any of the Administrator tools, getting an error that 'The dependency service or group failed to start".  When I log in as Administrator, I can use the Admin tools.  Here is a list of errors (Administrative View) in order of their occurrence, after a cold (de-electrified) start and when logging in as Administrator.

-----------------------------------------------

The winlogon notification subscriber <Profiles> was unavailable to handle a critical notification event.

DCOM got error "1083" attempting to start the service ShellHWDetection with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{DD522ACC-F821-461A-A407-50B198B896DC}

The User Profile Service service failed to start due to the following error:
The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service.

The Application Information service depends on the User Profile Service service which failed to start because of the following error:
The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service.

The Application Information service depends on the User Profile Service service which failed to start because of the following error:

---------------------------------

And that pair of errors repeated a few more times.

When logging in as Larry, I get a whole different set of errors which I'll get to later if important. (The majority of the errors include the line: "The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service." )  Firefox history and the cookies are gone. (No problem because I exported them and hopefully I'll be able to import them when things settle down.)

I looked through the logs that the Windows Repair Tool produces and found 'several' Access Denied occurrences.  I'm attaching 2 Rar files containing the two sets of logs, one for each repair session.  I was hoping to include the Admin Event logs for both of the repair sessions and for log in attempts after the repairs, but Miss Vista is being quite the <you choose> and most uncooperative. I'm not going to attempt any manual changes to the registry and I'll wait until a further study of the situation before I change my user settings. 

I do have the registry backup produced in June of this year by JRT.EXE and if all else fails, I'll go that dangerous route because getting all those ntuser.dat files in the right place and turning off the right services to be able to HAVE file access, is not going to be a task for a tired ex-programmer ex-dj who wishes he hadn't given up on recreational drugs years ago.

Boggin:
I don't seem to have anything on this laptop to open those rar files, so can't view them.

Have you tried creating a new admin user account as profiles can become corrupt.

RaveRocks:
After this afternoon's fixes, I noticed that, when logged in as Larry (me), I have two Downloads folders, two Documents folders as well as two folders each labeled Desktop, Music, Videos, and Pictures.  In each case, one is empty and one contains my old stuff.  The current profile for me points at the empty folder created at 9pm, about 4 hours after my last fix, so this must have happened when either I logged in. or when I ran sfc /scannow.  I scanned through the registry looking at the services that continued to fail and the services that they depend on and came away with no good new clues.  I've created boot log and logged on a couple of time in 'debug' mode and look forward to seeing their contents, but I need sleep so it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

=====edit01=====

I just remembered what process I ran at 9pm-ish last night.  We can blame "Windows Easy Transfer" for creating the new folders and restoring my data into the wrong place.  I couldn't run the utility under my regular logon (dependency service wasn't available) so I let Windows make the move while logged in as Administrator.  Today's task would seem to be finding out why Windows services load under one User and not another. 

=====edit02=====

I think I found the problem.  I found a blank entry in the WinLogin\GPExtensions list that points to Administrative Templates.  AND that starts up Userenv.dll which I do believe is the source of all my issues.

The GUID for the blank entry is 35378EAC-683F-11D2-A89A-00C04FBBCFA2.

I'm hoping someone out there knows how to create a reg file for me that will update the values as they should be for that logon task in Windows Vista. 

I'm not sure how to pull a value out of an old registry backup from a few months ago or if it's even possible. 

At least I see a twinkle of light at the end of this dark tunnel.

Shane:
I am back from my 3 week programming insanity. I am now trying to catch up on all the threads since then and that is over 100+ threads for me to go threw. So i am scanning through them quickly.

In this case this is one long thread lol so I didnt read all of it. So how are things so far?

Shane

RaveRocks:

--- Quote from: Shane on October 08, 2015, 10:59:54 pm ---
In this case this is one long thread lol so I didnt read all of it. So how are things so far?

Shane

--- End quote ---

Sorry about the length of the thread.  But thank you for this web site and your utility.  In a sea of scams, it was a blessing to find you and your band of merry troops.  While your utility didn't fix my PC, it did provide me with a road map  and an opportunity to learn.  So as much as it's been [blank] frustrating most of the time, this project of resurrecting my PC brought me back into the 'headspace' of application design and coding which I was lucky enough to do for a living for 20 years.  The sooner I can get out of this 'headspace', the better.  :thinking:

The short version: After trying to install your utility and failing, I tried installing the stand-alone which failed with the 'Invalid Picture' error.  A week later, I came across the installation of your application in c:\temp and ran it, twice, as suggested.   During the early stages of the resurrection process, I've installed malwarebytes, hijackthis, and Process Explorer, all of which have pumped out helpful reports. 

PC HP Pavillion model m8000n  Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit SP2

There is a restore partition but the F11 Recover utility doesn't recognize it.  I have the factory System Recovery disks but they come up with a 1012 error.  An Enhanced Back Up and Recovery utility (SP39296) also doesn't recognize the restore partition and ends with another error that accuses me of interrupting the creation of the recovery partition.  A side trip on the recovery drive led me to a few dozen hidden cmd files that look like the backbone to the recovery process.  I have yet to go down that path, but I think it was a good discovery nevertheless.

Now the current state of my pc.  The error I see upon login is that a Windows Service (User Profile) failed to start.

The majority of errors are 1083.  Here's a list from the admin view of a recent reboot.

--------------------------------------

The winlogon notification subscriber <Profiles> was unavailable to handle a critical notification event.

DCOM got error "1083" attempting to start the service ShellHWDetection with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{DD522ACC-F821-461A-A407-50B198B896DC}

The Multimedia Class Scheduler service failed to start due to the following error:

The Windows Audio service depends on the Multimedia Class Scheduler service which failed to start because of the following error:

The Themes service failed to start due to the following error:

The System Event Notification Service service failed to start due to the following error:

The Extensible Authentication Protocol service failed to start due to the following error:

The WLAN AutoConfig service depends on the Extensible Authentication Protocol service which failed to start because of the following error:

The Microsoft iSCSI Initiator Service service failed to start due to the following error:

The Task Scheduler service failed to start due to the following error:

The Server service failed to start due to the following error:

The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error:

The Parallel port driver service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

The Application Experience service failed to start due to the following error:

A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the HP Support Solutions Framework Service service to connect.

The HP Support Solutions Framework Service service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

The IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules service failed to start due to the following error:

The LoadUserProfile call failed with the following error:
The RPC server is unavailable.

The Secondary Logon service failed to start due to the following error:

The Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service depends on the Shell Hardware Detection service which failed to start because of the following error:

The IP Helper service failed to start due to the following error:

The Windows Media Center Extender Service service failed to start due to the following error:

DCOM got error "1083" attempting to start the service BITS with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{4991D34B-80A1-4291-83B6-3328366B9097}

The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service failed to start due to the following error:

The Remote Access Connection Manager service failed to start due to the following error:

==note== the above error then repeats a few dozen times followed by

DCOM got error "1083" attempting to start the service BITS with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{4991D34B-80A1-4291-83B6-3328366B9097}

---------------------------------------------------

It's good to have you back and I'm sure hoping someone who lives in this world of Windows internals can help me make sense of this mucky mess.  It wouldn't be so bad if my audio was working.  Here's a sample of my work up on you-tube.  https://youtu.be/1yd4NQq2FXQ  Eurythmics - Love is a Stranger (not available in Germany).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version