Author Topic: Stuck in Safe Mode  (Read 23221 times)

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
Stuck in Safe Mode
« on: October 07, 2015, 10:03:19 pm »
I downloaded the latest version of this program to run on my other PC.  It said that for best results run in 'safe mode'.  I tried reopening the program to continue but everything continues to be in 'Safe mode'. 

I have restarted the PC a couple of time since but its always in safe mode.  Is there a fix for this or do I try & see if I have a system restore available?

Thanks in advance
Thanks in advance

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck in Safe Mode
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 12:07:50 am »
While you haven't said which version of Windows you are using, go Start - type msconfig and press enter.

Under the Boot tab uncheck the box for Safe Boot - Apply - OK and reboot.

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 06:33:23 pm »
The machine has Windows 8.  I was able to get to msconfig by using the Windows buttons plus the arrow keys but because the Keyboard & Mouse were wireless it appears that they don't load  with Windows so I wasn't able to tab over the the correct tab.  I tried another keyboard & was able to reboot out of save mode but am not getting but a black screen.
Thanks in advance

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 09:30:30 pm »
Hi, did you try this? In safe mode, go to
Control Panel > Administrative Tools  > System Configuration.  Boot
tab, uncheck "Safe boot".
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 09:50:40 pm »
I sure did.
Thanks in advance

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 09:56:16 pm »
Hi, If you have done all the things, then try this, if you have window cd

1. Get your hands on a Windows 8 install CD

2. Boot from the CD and choose recovery options

3. Choose 'advanced'

4. Choose 'enter command prompt'

5. Enter 'cd c:\windows\system32' to go to the system32 folder on your system

6. Enter 'bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot'

7. Reboot and you should be out of safe mode for all purpose.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 09:58:10 pm by jraju »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 12:14:49 am »
The program simply calls the bcdedit command to tell the windows boot manager to enable safeboot. Other than that the program has nothing to do with safe mode. Once in safe mode and you start the Windows repair back up it will then run the command to have bcdedit remove the safe boot option. Which is

bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot

It is also the same thing that msconfig does and why you can do it from there was well.

You said you where able to get out of safe mode, how did you do that? Where you also able to run all the repairs in safe mode?

Shane

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 12:28:13 am »
I got out of 'safe mode' by using a different keyboard & mouse which allowed me to get to tab & untick safe mode.  I then told the machine to restart.  After the machine restarts what happens next is that I see the 4 blue Windows icon, then the screen goes black & remains stuck there.
Thanks in advance

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 01:02:13 am »
That sounds like a driver problem with the video, you also had driver problems in safe mode with the mouse and key board.

Did you ever run the repairs in safe mode though?

Shane

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 07:35:51 pm »
I was going to run your program & if I recall correctly I ran a pre scan first before I noticed that the suggestion was for best results run in safe mode. 

I rebooted in safe mode but my wireless keyboard & mouse would not work & I suspect that Windows hadn't reached a stage where the it would. 

I plugged in a different keyboard & Mouse & with this I was able to reach the tab to untick the safe mode option for when I rebooted.
Thanks in advance

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 01:09:18 am »
Can you boot up into Safe Mode with Networking then go to your computer support site and download the chipset drivers if any and then the graphics drivers.

There's always the possibility that your graphics card has gone down but your USB ports should work in Safe Mode.

The South Bridge aspect of the chipset/video drivers looks after the USB ports but as your graphics aren't working in normal mode either, then the two could be tied together.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 01:01:08 pm »
Ah so you got stuck in safe mode because you never opened Windows repair in safe mode so Windows repair could not check if Windows was In safe mode and remove safe boot from the bcdedit.
Julian

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 05:02:43 pm »
Pressing the reset button on case & holding down F8 doesn't help either.
Thanks in advance

Offline RaveRocks

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 06:53:51 pm »
Thank you for the 'killsafemode' command line instructions.

During my 'The Truth About Vista' month, I've filled a notebook of scribbling oldschool handwritten clues, commands, registry locations, log names, good web sites, bad web sites, etc. and I've learned more than my semi-retired brain wanted to let into long term memory.  It seems that writing something down on paper, especially if you're stressed or on edge, helps the brain analyze the data and store more of it in long term memory.  Reading it from paper or screen gets it into short term memory, but writing it down sends the brain's storage system a ping that what's happening is possibly important.  Trouble is I have a pop & rock trivia memory bank that covers the late 50's to the late 80's because of my 8 years in radio and 8 years as a disco nightclub dj/entertainer, followed by a 20+ years of business app design and development at the time of Lotus 123, Clipper, FoxPro and Visual Foxpro, SQL, all that in my long term memory bank.  Plus all the mental baggage you pick up using operating systems, browsers, Chat apps.  I've often wondered how much storage space we have up there.  We must have a built in memory disposal system, but it's amazing how a little refresher reading will bring a whole bunch of forgotten knowledge to the foreground.

And I saw a FIRST for me yesterday.  After one reboot from safe mode (640x480), the screen returned to the normal settings (1650 x 1050) but with the safe-mode indicators at the top and bottom of the screen.  And in  that mode, I had full keyboard access.  I mention that because when in normal safe mode (640x480), the keyboard is non-responsive.  The Num-Lock, Caps-Lock, Scroll-Lock lights respond to the keyboard, but all character keys do not get sent to Windows.  And that means no password entries and you can't respond to 'Press Any Key' to continue.

(Yes I do ramble)
You'll find me on Twitter and You-Tube but never again on Facebook. My first computer was a $99 TI-994a. By the end of the first day, I was able to write and save the Oscar Myer Weiner song.  If only today's goals were so simple.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 07:04:41 pm »
Hi, Rave rocks.
                           Which command restored to you to normal?
                                       If that is given, then the other users would look in to .
                                             were your problems solved. if so, kindly , select modify in your opening thread and add "Solved"  to the left of the query. were the commands used in running the windows or from cd?.

Offline RaveRocks

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2015, 07:29:00 pm »
Hi, Rave rocks.
                           Which command restored to you to normal?
                                       If that is given, then the other users would look in to .
                                             were your problems solved. if so, kindly , select modify in your opening thread and add "Solved"  to the left of the query. were the commands used in running the windows or from cd?.

I used msconfig.exe; under the Boot tab, I removed the checkmark from 'Safe Boot' .  On the General Tab, I usually would choose 'Normal Setup' unless I'm in fix mode.
You'll find me on Twitter and You-Tube but never again on Facebook. My first computer was a $99 TI-994a. By the end of the first day, I was able to write and save the Oscar Myer Weiner song.  If only today's goals were so simple.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 07:31:24 pm »
Hi, What about the problem. Is it solved?  to your satisfaction.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2015, 02:34:57 am »
IN a upcoming update to my Windows repair tool I am moving a lot of the text in the main window of the program to a help file because of how cluttered I think it is.

Since it will have a help file this also means I can finally add a lot more things to it for the users who need it.

one of the things that I need to add is how to get out safe mode. But that isnt the correct term.

What is happening for some people is on Windows 8 and 10, they are using their online accounts, no big deal. but for some reason MS has safe mode set to use a different password their then online one, and a lot of users cant remember what that password was.

Safe mode is part of Windows and my program calls the bcdedit command to have the bott manager set to always boot into safe mode. Well if the user cant login the program is unable to run the command to turn that off and now they are stuck.

So If anyone wants to help me write a guide of ways to have the boot manger remove the safe boot options outside of windows would be very helpful.

I asked one user to do the boot options and choose command prompt, but it also wanted a password before it would show the cmd.exe window where they could run the command. So it either has to be run in the startup repair section where it normally has a cmd.exe option or Windows PE needs to be downloaded and ran from a USB.

If anyone has any info on this or wants to help let me know. I dont know why MS would do that with safe mode and the online accounts, but so be it, now I need to find a way to undo the boot edit without being able to get into windows and in a way a normal user can do it if they follow instructions. So msconfig isnt going to help on this one, but the msconfig will be one of the other guides in the help file to undo the safe mode option, that and simply opening my program as well :-)

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2015, 03:34:45 am »
Perhaps a query to MS to see if they can provide an update so that a password isn't required for Safe Mode ?

Win 7 seems to manage okay without one.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2015, 03:35:58 am »
Its the users who setup a pin to login instead of a password. Safe mode wants the password not the pin and the users cant remember it.

Seems like a rather be design flaw to have a user using a pin only for a long period and then when going to safe mode they cant use the pin.

Shane

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2015, 08:45:14 am »
just a suggestion, did they try 360?

it been doing well lately...

In safe mode, did they uninstall the video drivers and reboot, that worked a few times for me.

and Shane, did you grab a copy of that program I referred to your mailbox?
It helps restore the BCDEDIT to boot windows, maybe you cab know how it works to add to your program?

regards

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2015, 10:07:34 am »
Its the users who setup a pin to login instead of a password. Safe mode wants the password not the pin and the users cant remember it.

Seems like a rather be design flaw to have a user using a pin only for a long period and then when going to safe mode they cant use the pin.

Shane

During my short incursion into Win 10, when I created a MS account to activate Cortana, it gave me a numeric password to log in with from the start - hope I get a new one if I ever go back into it as I'd have to dig through a lot of paper work to find it  :omg:

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2015, 08:16:50 pm »
Hi, Shane
                   Please see this link and the first post by remov2
                              He says that there is a hidden start menu  in safe mode boot to get to the desktop, thro which, you could access the run command and then msconfig to uncheck the safe mode. On rebooting , you get normal mode. would this solve the stuck in safe mode?
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4677/t/19486529
                          as i do not have windows 8, I could not try this
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 08:18:51 pm by jraju »

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2015, 12:17:21 pm »
IN a upcoming update to my Windows repair tool I am moving a lot of the text in the main window of the program to a help file because of how cluttered I think it is.

Since it will have a help file this also means I can finally add a lot more things to it for the users who need it.

one of the things that I need to add is how to get out safe mode. But that isnt the correct term.

What is happening for some people is on Windows 8 and 10, they are using their online accounts, no big deal. but for some reason MS has safe mode set to use a different password their then online one, and a lot of users cant remember what that password was.

Safe mode is part of Windows and my program calls the bcdedit command to have the bott manager set to always boot into safe mode. Well if the user cant login the program is unable to run the command to turn that off and now they are stuck.

So If anyone wants to help me write a guide of ways to have the boot manger remove the safe boot options outside of windows would be very helpful.

I asked one user to do the boot options and choose command prompt, but it also wanted a password before it would show the cmd.exe window where they could run the command. So it either has to be run in the startup repair section where it normally has a cmd.exe option or Windows PE needs to be downloaded and ran from a USB.

If anyone has any info on this or wants to help let me know. I dont know why MS would do that with safe mode and the online accounts, but so be it, now I need to find a way to undo the boot edit without being able to get into windows and in a way a normal user can do it if they follow instructions. So msconfig isnt going to help on this one, but the msconfig will be one of the other guides in the help file to undo the safe mode option, that and simply opening my program as well :-)

Shane
hmmm so with bcdedit command to start before user logs on, you will have to start it as a service.

Here is the startup sequence of the major registry keys, starting immediately after bootmgr has been read and ending with the program shortcut entries in the two Startup folders.

1. HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute. This can include instructions to schedule the running of chkdsk but not user programs.

2. Services start next, followed by the RunServicesOnce and RunServices registry keys (if present)

3. User then logs on to the system

4. HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\UserInit. This points to the program C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe and the entry ends with a comma. Other programs can be started from this key by appending them and separating them with a comma.

5. HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell. This should contain just one entry, explorer.exe.

6. Program entries in these 2 registry keys for ALL USERS start next:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and \RunOnce

7. Program entries in these 2 registry keys for CURRENT USER start next:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and \RunOnce

8. Programs in the Startup Folders of All Users and Current User are started last of all.

Important programs like antivirus and firewall start early in the sequence as Services. The icons that appear in the Notification Area (bottom right of the screen) are just their user interfaces, i.e. options and preferences.

The additional location for 32-bit software in a 64-bit computer is HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node and HKCU.
Julian

Offline marco_2

• View Profile
    • stream
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2015, 05:13:55 pm »
Control Panel > Administrative Tools  > System Configuration.  Boot
tab, uncheck "Safe boot"

hop this help