Author Topic: Issues with CD-ROM drives.  (Read 11692 times)

Offline GraveDigger27

• View Profile
Issues with CD-ROM drives.
« on: October 16, 2015, 08:19:30 am »
I installed Tweaking.com Registry Repair 3.6.1 on a couple of my systems and discovered a major issue.  After I did a complete backup of both systems, I ran the utility following the steps outlined.  Both systems were running Windows 10 and were working fine prior to using the utility.  After running it on both systems, my desktop system (with 2 CD-ROM drives) and my laptop (with a single CD-ROM drive) no longer showed the drives as being installed.  I opened the Device Manager on both systems and found that the drivers were no longer active.  I attemped to update the driver, then uninstalled the device and restarted the system - still didn't work.

I ultimately restored the older backups which restored the drives and deleted Registry Repair from my system.  This would've been a major issue for a new user and I don't think it's ready for release until the problem is resolved.

Offline drivenpm2

• View Profile
Re: Issues with CD-ROM drives.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 06:52:23 am »
Hello,

I just want to use my computer.  I am not a programmer, coder, engineer or anything else - just an everyday +60 year old person who wanted to do a little house keeping on her computer

I ran Tweaking and my CDrom drive no longer works.  I went searching for the Restore folder to put things back to rights before Tweaking and after 4 attempts can not restore to ANY point.   Always g et error message that System Restore has quit working.  That there are files missing.  Retry using another restore point.

I am afraid to uninstall because in the 100's of folders may lie the answer to restoring my computer back to an acceptable and functional state.

I have attempted to attach the Log file  (can only post single items and not the log itself) that shows that more than 90 per cent of the attempted repairs failed, were denied access or just listed an error.

I think you released this TOOOOOOO SOOOOOOOON and have hurt a lot of people.

DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME OR DON'T SHARE

Offline GraveDigger27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 08:33:36 am »
I disagree that they rushed it out too soon, I've used the program in the past and had no issue with it.  However, the latest release (version 3.6.1) does appear to have a major problem with the way CD-ROM drives are handled.  This needs to be resolved soon.

As always I recommend that everyone do a FULL BACKUP of their system JUST IN CASE.  These tweaks are very powerful and to be honest, if you're not sure what they're doing you can really screw up your computers.  My desktop and laptop systems had a few issues and I hoped that running the program would resolve some of these, but it's NOT FOR EVERYONE. I was able to restore both systems to the way they were before I ran the utilities and all I lost was a little time (having a full backup of my existing systems on an external hard drive is irreplaceable...) but not everyone is prepared.

Hopefully you've been able to restore the system (try the registry restore feature and the backup features first...)  Otherwise I'm afraid that you might need to find someone who's familar with computers and is able to restore the system for you.  I'm a old-timer myself (60 plus years) but I've been using computers since the days of DOS (as well as Atari computers...)  Having a backup is a must or you're going to find yourself in a LOT of trouble.

Good luck.

Offline drivenpm2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 09:53:41 am »
I sincerely respect your right to disagree that the product was released too soon.

I maintain my right to feel that this version was rushed to market after reviewing the dates/updates of applications etc.  After reading through the forums, there were many issues from the beta and after.  It is my misfortune for having not read through the forums before installing and running; though the product was recommended form a trusted source.

I am deathly afraid to do a registry restore in as much as there were 15260k of errors for the HKLM_Permissions_Error_Log.txt_Notepad  alone - just a rough calculation- but if 1 error is 4k, then could 15260. be just under 4000 errors?

The HKU_Restore_Default_Permissions_Error_Log.txt_Notepad has well over 100 entries of SD errors.

I feel that at this point I should find a way to save those things that are precious to me and do a factory reset.

I am running Win7 Home Premium and followed all directions!!

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 08:15:42 pm »
Hello,

I just want to use my computer.  I am not a programmer, coder, engineer or anything else - just an everyday +60 year old person who wanted to do a little house keeping on her computer

I ran Tweaking and my CDrom drive no longer works.  I went searching for the Restore folder to put things back to rights before Tweaking and after 4 attempts can not restore to ANY point.   Always g et error message that System Restore has quit working.  That there are files missing.  Retry using another restore point.

I am afraid to uninstall because in the 100's of folders may lie the answer to restoring my computer back to an acceptable and functional state.

I have attempted to attach the Log file  (can only post single items and not the log itself) that shows that more than 90 per cent of the attempted repairs failed, were denied access or just listed an error.

I think you released this TOOOOOOO SOOOOOOOON and have hurt a lot of people.

DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME OR DON'T SHARE

Have you ran the repairs in safe mode? and also what exactly does not work with your cd-rom drive? and does anything work with it at all?  and with the restore option it looks like you used system restore to restore ill upload a picture on how to restore your registry settings with windows repair.
Julian

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 07:52:02 pm »
Julian,

Can this program be ran in its own DVD environment? searching windows installations?
And then to restore an older restore point?

regards

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 10:51:40 pm »
Julian,

Can this program be ran in its own DVD environment? searching windows installations?
And then to restore an older restore point?

regards
i dunno try it see if it does. ;)
Julian

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 09:17:14 am »
The program was not rushed, at all. It is just me and I normally do weekly updates where I add things throughout the week. Just because there was a problem for one user doesnt mean I rushed my work. It feels like an insult, especially with how hard I have been working. :wink:

The cd-rom repair hasnt changed at all. The problem is that it removes the upperfilters registry key for the cd-rom as MS says to do, this gets it working when a 3rd party program added a driver to there and is no longer on the system.

So the most I ever see is a program complaining about it, itunes is a good example.

In this case you say it is missing from the device manager and the drivers are missing. That one registry key is the only thing that is touched for the cd-rom and I have ran my program on over 150 computers since the last update and havent had a single problem with any of the cd rom drives.

So this means there is a unknown variable on your two systems, EVERY single version of the program is tested on every version of windows, freshly installed and all updates. No 3rd party programs installed though, no way to test for the untold millions of programs out there.

So I am curious if you have the same program installed on both machines that might be installing its own driver for the cd-rom, perhaps for burning and when the upperfilters key is removed then the problem happens. reinstalling said program would fix it or restoing the registry. but I would hate to have to restore the whole registry for that one key.

Simple skip the repair cd/dvd in the program for now and in a future update I will have it start saving the upperfilters registry key before it removes it, that way it is easy to put back if needed :-)

The registry key I am talking about is here
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929461

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Shane

Offline alsorensen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 10:57:51 am »
I just updated to Windows Repair V3.7.0 (Pro Version) and have noticed that after running Windows Repair, my CD-ROM and Blu-Ray drives do not show up in Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.  I had to use regedit to edit the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} key and delete Upper and lower filters (mine only had upper) and reboot. 

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 10:49:43 pm »
Was there anything in the value of the upperfilter key or was it blank?

Shane

Offline alsorensen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 06:10:50 am »
Shane,

Thank you for your quick reply.

The short answer is that the UpperFilters key was set to GEARAspiWDM.

I re-ran the     18 - Repair CD/DVD Missing/Not Working   section and it created the UpperFilters registry key again and populated it with the GEARAspiWDM value.  He is the log file text:

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair v3.7.0
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System Variables
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OS Architecture: 64-bit
OS Version: 6.1.7601
OS Service Pack: Service Pack 1
Computer Name: DOC
Windows Drive: C:\
Windows Path: C:\Windows
Program Files: C:\Program Files
Program Files (x86): C:\Program Files (x86)
Current Profile: C:\Users\Lyle
Current Profile SID: S-1-5-21-270339328-192809639-363896118-1000
Current Profile Classes: S-1-5-21-270339328-192809639-363896118-1000_Classes
Profiles Location: C:\Users
Profiles Location 2: C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles
Local Settings AppData: C:\Users\Lyle\AppData\Local

System Information
System Up Time: 0 Days 00:24:01

Process Count: 25
Commit Total: 1.79 GB
Commit Limit: 31.88 GB
Commit Peak: 2.57 GB
Handle Count: 6433
Kernel Total: 752.73 MB
Kernel Paged: 541.51 MB
Kernel Non Paged: 211.22 MB
System Cache: 6.37 GB
Thread Count: 307

Memory Before Cleaning with CleanMem
Memory Total: 15.94 GB
Memory Used: 1.84 GB(11.5416%)
Memory Avail.: 14.10 GB

Cleaning Memory Before Starting Repairs...

Memory After Cleaning with CleanMem
Memory Total: 15.94 GB
Memory Used: 1.56 GB(9.7566%)
Memory Avail.: 14.39 GB

Starting Repairs...
   Started at (11/27/2015 7:54:01 AM)

18 - Repair CD/DVD Missing/Not Working
   Start (11/27/2015 7:54:02 AM)
   iTunes was found, adding UpperFilters for iTunes Reg Key
   UpperFilters added?: True
   Done (11/27/2015 7:54:02 AM)

Cleaning up empty logs...

All Selected Repairs Done.
   Done at (11/27/2015 7:54:02 AM)
   Total Repair Time: 00:00:03

...YOU MUST RESTART YOUR SYSTEM...

After some searching on the web, I discovered that the drivers from gearsoftware.com had not been installed on my system.  (I did a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate in September 2015 and also installed the latest version of iTunes at the same time but the drivers were not on my system).

I downloaded the Driver Installer X86 X64.exe from http://gearsoftware.com/support/drivers.php and now Windows sees my CDROM drives and iTunes does as well.

Hope this helps,
Lyle

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 08:14:58 pm »
That does help a lot.

So it looks like if that is in there but the file isnt on the system it happens, and if it is removed and itunes is installed itunes will complain (Itunes uses it)

So here is a small bit of code from that repair

Reg.hkey = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Reg.KeyRoot = "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class"
    Reg.Subkey = "{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"
    Reg.DeleteValue "UpperFilters"
    Reg.DeleteValue "LowerFilters"
    DoEvents

If IsProcessRunning("ituneshelper.exe") = True Then
        bItunes = True
    End If

DoEvents
    bFileExists = FileExists(sWindowsDriveLetter & "\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe")

If bFileExists = True Then
        bItunes = True
    End If

DoEvents

If IsHost64Bit = 1 Then
        bFileExists = False
        bFileExists = FileExists(sWindowsDriveLetter & "\Program Files(x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe")

If bFileExists = True Then
            bItunes = True
        End If
    End If

DoEvents

If bItunes = True Then
        Call AddToLogs("   iTunes was found, adding UpperFilters for iTunes Reg Key", FrmRepairs.Text1)
        sTemp = "GEARAspiWDM" & Chr$(0) & Chr$(0)
        DoEvents
        bSuccess = Reg.SetRegistryValue("UpperFilters", sTemp, REG_MULTI_SZ)
        Call AddToLogs("   UpperFilters added?: " & bSuccess, FrmRepairs.Text1)
    Else
        Call AddToLogs("   iTunes not found, not applying UpperFilters iTunes Reg Key", FrmRepairs.Text1)
    End If

I dont mind showing this as it isnt anything big. The repair looks to see if itunes is running or if itunes is installed in the default folder path. If it is then it adds that to the upper filters.

Looks like you must of had some left over itunes files or another program running with the same name that it was looking for.

I am thinking the best thing to do is to redo the repair to where it checks to see if the driver file itself is installed on the system. I am just not sure the best way to do that yet. :wink:

Shane

Offline alsorensen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 06:47:12 am »
I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit in September (after a disastrous Windows 10 upgrade).  I wiped my hard drive and did a full install of Windows and I also installed iTunes 12.2.  I can only guess that iTunes did not install correctly because the drivers from Gear were not installed on my system. (I don't use iTunes to rip or burn CDs so I never noticed).

The only other thing I can suggest is to check to see if the GEARAspiWDM.sys file exists in the Windows\System32\drivers folder as well as check to see if iTunes is installed.

Lyle

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 01:54:45 am »
That might be the answer, look if itunes is installed AND that file is in the drivers folder, would e very easy to add to the repair, i think I will try and get it in tomorrows update :-)

Shane