Author Topic: FIX: 1083 Error  (Read 5551 times)

Offline RaveRocks

• View Profile
FIX: 1083 Error
« on: October 16, 2015, 07:02:10 PM »
Svchost is a multi-purpose tool that Windows uses to run services inside of an Explorer session. It accepts multiple command line switches that define the service's Network rights, among others.  Each service has it's own interior rules of what it expects from the session manager. At run time, when a service is first loaded, svchost validates the request by checking the received command line switch against a list of acceptable services.  If the service is not listed for that level of rights or is missing, a 1083 error is displayed in the Admin error logs.  Any service that depends on a (1083)'d service will register a 1068 error and in some cases a 1053 error.

--------------------------work-in-progress--------------------------------------------------
(note: The following information MAY have errors and/or omissions. I welcome other Vista Home Premium SP2 owners to compare notes and post their findings.)

Windows Vista stores the details of each service at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services

Many of the listed services are not loaded by svchost, but all services that are loaded by svchost can be found here with the imagepath field showing the command line switch that will be used whenever that service is called via svchost.

The following is a list of services as called by the specified command line in Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32bit.

svchost -k netsvcs AeLookupSvc AppInfo Bits Browser CertPropSvc EapHost hkmsvc IKEEXT iphlpsvc LanmanServer MMCSS MSISCSI ProfSvc RasAuto RasMan RemoteAccess Scheule ScPolicySVC Seclogon SENS SessionEnv SharedAccess ShellHWDetection Themes Wercplsupport winmgmt wuauserv

svchost -k LocalService Eventsystem fdPhost FDResPub LanmanWorkStation lltdsvc netprofm nsi QWAVE ScardSvr SLUINotify SSDEOSRV SstpSvc TBS THREADORDER upnphost W32Time wcncSvc Webclient WinHttpAutoProxySvc

svchost -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted Audiosrv Dhcp EMDMgmt Eventlog lmhosts p2pimsvc p2psvc PNRPAutoReg PNRPSvc WdiSystemHost WPCSvc WSCSvc

svchost -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted AudioEndpointBuilder dot3svc hidserv IPBusEnum Netman PcaSvc SysMain TabletInputService TrkWks UxSms Wlansvc WPDBusEnum wudfsvc

svchost -k LocalServiceNoNetwork BFE DPS ehstart MpsSvc pla

svchost -k NetworkService CryptSvc Dnscache KtmRm napagent NlaSvc TapiSrv TermService Wecsvc WinRm

svchost -k NetworkServiceNetworkRestricted PolicyAgent

svchost -k WerSvcGroup Wersvc

svchost -k DcomLaunch DcomLaunch PlugPlay

svchost -k GPSvcGroup gpsvc

svchost -k Regsvc RemoteRegistry

svchost -k rpcss RpcSs

svchost -k termsvcs TermService

svchost -k secsvcs WinDefend

svchost -k scssvc WcsPluginService

svchost -k LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation Fontcache

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Vista stores a Validation list in the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SvcHost  Here you'll find an entry for each possible command line switch and each entry contains a multi-string list of the valid services that will be permitted to use the security clearance automatically given to services run under that category.

Since this is the area of the registry that may be damaged most often by either programming mistakes or malicious intent, this is the registry point that MUST rubber-stamp the rules outlined in the System\CurrentControlSet\Services entries as listed above.  If wanting a total solution, each service must have a valid entry in both areas.  If a user mucks with a Service's network rights thus changing the standard and expected set of rules for that service, other errors will be sure to follow.  I haven't experimented to see if Windows would automatically place a validating entry in Svchost's list when you changed a service's rights. And now that I've got my machine working again, I don't want to experiment.

==== edit 01 ====

Moved EMDMgmt (Readyboost Service) from LocalSystemNetworkRestricted to LocalServiceNetworkRestricted
Removed RemoteRegistry from the LocalService category; RemoteRegistry already loaded with - regsvc command line switch.
Configured Threadorder to start as a LocalService (was configured as LocalSystem)

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:41:37 AM by Boggin »
You'll find me on Twitter and You-Tube but never again on Facebook. My first computer was a $99 TI-994a. By the end of the first day, I was able to write and save the Oscar Myer Weiner song.  If only today's goals were so simple.

Online Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: FIX: 1083 Error
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 10:44:06 AM »
I've changed your thread title as having [FIXED] at the end of it would suggest your problem was solved and may not receive the attention you want for it.

If you want to change the thread title yourself then just click on Modify in your opening post.

Offline RaveRocks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 02:13:33 PM »
Update:  YAY!  I've progressed in my computer life to Windows 10 on a new PC with more horsepower than I probably need.  Vista no longer will play a role in my life and the anger it brought me, is almost forgotten. 

As a side note, when I bought my new computer, I just happened to have the same salesman that sold the old Vista driven HP PC to the original owners.  They had spent almost $800 extra on memory, a different video card and power supply to try to fix the problems they were experiencing.  All, by the way, to no avail.  Vista and this particular HP Pavillion were, in hindsight, a total mismatch.  Nice to know, after two years of fighting with it.

I have to admit that the problems I experienced enticed me to learn more about the Windows operating system than I wanted to know.  Again, thank you to all the staff here for their kind attention and assistance.

You'll find me on Twitter and You-Tube but never again on Facebook. My first computer was a $99 TI-994a. By the end of the first day, I was able to write and save the Oscar Myer Weiner song.  If only today's goals were so simple.

Online Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 02:30:01 PM »
Perhaps you've swapped one troublesome OS for another :)

Offline RaveRocks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 11:36:04 PM »
Once I got all the proper drivers updated, W10 has been very stable.  It's running a couple of Vista era Video apps that were giving me great grief in Vista.  Knock on wood.

The new PC came with 8.1 installed, which I hated immediately.  The upgrade to 10 was a bit messy because the network drivers had to get updated manually halfway through the upgrade, as the ones Microsoft had available broke after their gInormous patch.

Online Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 12:26:46 AM »
Hope it continues to go smoothly for you.

One thing about Win 10 that you may not know is that System Protection is off by default, so no restore points are being created.

You can turn it on yourself, but I think it has been reported that it can be turned off again after a new update and there's one being trialled at the moment by the Fast Ring Insiders