Author Topic: Can't Restore Previous Registry from Backup -- WinXP Pro  (Read 5183 times)

Offline Andy

• View Profile
Can't Restore Previous Registry from Backup -- WinXP Pro
« on: October 18, 2015, 08:44:09 pm »
Using Tweaking.com Windows Repair v3.6.1. 

Have been trying for two hours .

The Windows Repair did not work for me.  It kept disabling "Sounds and Audio Devices".  Chkdsk /f would solve it for one boot.  Upon each successive reboot, I would have to run Chkdsk /f to regain simple volume and mixing controls.  I got tired of that pretty quickly.  It also did not help me with my Netflix computer-freezing problem (which is why I ran the program in the first place) either.

I backed up the registry using v.3.6.1 before I installed the initial 'Windows Repair'.  That backup is still listed in v3.6.1.  Unfortunately, I did not do the same with my System Restore being that I figured "Tw Windows Repair" would take care of it, as it claimed.

I selected my restoration point from the toggle bar under the "Restore Register" tab, made sure the fixed items were checked, and clicked 'Restore Now' at the bottom of the screen.  I did it from Normal Desktop mode, I did it from Safe Mode (with Networking).  No Restoration of the previous Registry occurred.  I've repeated the procedure six times.

Please help me to get my pre-v.3.6.1 Registry back, somebody!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Can't Restore Previous Registry from Backup -- WinXP Pro
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 03:01:21 am »
I have never had a problem with the registry backup program restoring the registry. What does the restore log show when you do it?

It is possible that the problem isnt in the registry, if you had to run chkdsk to fix it then that means it is a hard drive problem, you most likely have bad sectors and is why things are not working right.

have you done a bad sector check on the drive yet? Also, before you do anything else, back up your data as soon as possible just in case.

Shane