Author Topic: Programs Crashing  (Read 7790 times)

Offline Dusty Van

• View Profile
Programs Crashing
« on: November 13, 2015, 11:50:42 am »
Over the last week or so I've noticed IE11 crashing more and more. I've used Tweaking's All-in-One many times over the last several years always with great results. So today I turned to Tweaking.com again. Figured I've been a leach long enough so I purchased the pro version. I got the license key in the mail. Now when I go to apply the license the program crashes. The crash dialog appears and I have to "Close Program". I ran a full scan with Malearebytes and I'm getting ready to scan with Bitdefender. So far with no results. I tried safe mode but with the same results. I've run out of ideas. Any suggestions or comments? It seems like this crashing issue is growing exponentially. As always. comments or flames welcome.
Tbx,
Dusty

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit W/ 8 Gb RAM

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Programs Crashing
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 01:35:55 pm »
Do you have KB3097877 installed ?

That has been reported as causing problems with a few programs.

While I suffered some general freezing after the updates which I associated with Norton 360, didn't consider WUs but the machine is okay now even before I uninstalled the KB.

It was supposed to be reissued but I haven't seen a replacement since I hid the original.

Offline Tim_Tweaking

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 01:47:29 pm »
I will send this in to Shaen to see if he has any ideas. Might be a bug fix for next release. Hang in there and thanks for your support.
Tweaking.Com Support and Moderator

Offline Dusty Van

• View Profile
Re: Programs Crashing:Interesting
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 02:20:08 pm »
Been playing with this thing a bit. When I run All-in-one from the start menu or the desktop icon the program starts and immediately hangs. But if I use the notification tray icon to open it runs until I go to the registration screen then it hangs. Interesting. Ok, I'll leave it alone now till I hear from ya. <grin>. You know me, can't keep my fingers out of things.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 03:10:12 pm »
Looks like this problem has already been posted about http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,3877.0.html

Offline Dusty Van

• View Profile
Re: Programs Crashing <solved>
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 04:08:48 pm »
Thanks Folks,
Shoulda looked deeper. Uninstalled KB3097877 and all-in-one is acting fine. I was able to register and run without issue. I read somewhere that MS issued a KB update correcting the issues with KB3097877. Obviously not quite correct. That's what you get for trusting "trusted sources". Thanks to all who responded. Sorry for wasting your time. <sheepish grin>
Dusty

Offline Dougcuk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 06:52:33 pm »
I posted the warning about KB3097877 as I encountered problems with Registry Backup
I suspected that whatever code libraries Shane uses were probably common to many of his creations
- and so other applications could also be affected

While Registry Backup appears fine with the re-issued KB installed
- it is possible it doesn't fix all the problems for other Tweaking.com applications

It can be difficult to tell whether you have the new version of KB3097877
One way is to open Windows Update and select "View update history"
KB3097877 should appear twice the second one being dated 12-Nov-2015 or later

or you can try doing a search in the Windows folder for KB3097877*.cab

On my system I find two files both named:  windows6.1-kb3097877-x64-express.cab
- the file name will vary depending on whether you have 32/64 bit version of Windows
- but you should see two different "Date Modified" dates
The first shows Modified date         21-Oct-2015  - original release
The second shows Modified date   12-Nov-2015  - re-issued release
Doug Collins - Computer Support Engineer - London UK

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 12:49:14 am »
Awesome find actually. I have been slammed with computer repair customers over the last week and I still have a ton more this week.

On one of the computers I opened my windows repair and it frooze every time as soon as it got to the main window. What was really odd is if task manager was open at the same time it would freeze as well. But I could still use other things including the start menu fine.

So the onlyway I could kill my program was to open a cmd.exe window and type in

taskkill /IM repair_windows.exe /F

Soon as my program closed task manager started responding again and was fine. First time I ever seen that and wasnt happy about it because I didnt change anything in my program so why on earth was it happening?

Do you have any idea how much wasted time and research you all saved me from on trying to find something wrong in my program that wasnt there? lol

Now, once i get home from my jobs tomorrow I will need to go do some reason on KB3097877 :wink:

Shane

Offline Dougcuk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 03:31:20 am »
Unfortunately Microsoft (as far as I can find) have not released any technical details on their analysis of the problem or what they did to fix it. But at least for Registry Backup the re-issued KB has fixed the problem.

The crashes with Outlook related to displaying complex emails containing specific HTML and image data - and the other main problem was the blocking of Windows login for those connected to domain networks.

KB3097877 was intended to patch flaws that allow attacks to be remotely executed on code by exploiting the way Windows handles display fonts. The KB appears to have updated two main files Win32k.sys and Gdiplus.dll
Doug Collins - Computer Support Engineer - London UK