Author Topic: Unable to exit from safe mode  (Read 6453 times)

Offline Manlio Laschena

• View Profile
Unable to exit from safe mode
« on: November 17, 2015, 10:04:50 am »
As I was not able to create a recovery point, on Windows 7 Pro 64 B, I tried to use Tweaking repair. After a full run of all applicable items I exit the program and re-boot.
From that moment on I was unable to boot in normal mode. Msconfig shows "normal" mode , but boot in safe mode. I did many attempts and tested several solutions, reading all the available docs on the Net, without any good result. Can some one give me an hint ?
Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to exit from safe mode
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 04:16:37 pm »
Try this - boot up into the Advanced Boot options - select Repair your Computer and navigate to the Recovery Environment.

Select Command Prompt and enter bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot

Follow that with exit to close the cmd window then click on Restart.

Offline Manlio Laschena

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 02:20:47 am »
Thanks a lot as I solved with your hint after a full day of useless trials.
Now I would like to understand more about the failure: i.e. why I was unable to return to normal boot by msconfig or other attempts. Does this mean that the BootMgr registry was firmly written with a safeboot lock ? If yes, would be necessary in the Tweaking application to provide a "return" instruction at the end of repairs (or I have not seen it ?).
My attempts to solve, prior of your determined suggestion, was stopped by a system error " cannot determine file system of drive ..", while a chkdsk resulted in no error and NTFS system. Also this was a mistery for me !
Again thanks for your suggestion that shows your knowledge of the matter.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 05:58:31 am »
The program is supposed to execute that command.

I'll bring this to Shane's attention as it has occurred in an earlier version of the program.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 06:09:21 am by Boggin »

Offline Mental

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 09:32:13 am »
Thanks - this works with Windows 10 (and probably 8) as well. You need to press Shift as you click Shutdown in order to access the Advanced menu.

Whatever happened to Windows 9 ???

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 03:13:05 pm »
I've been in touch with Shane and he believes the cause was because of recent updates which were designed to fix log in problems, but he'll dig deeper into that when he gets the chance, as he's up to his armpits at the moment in building computers that customers of his computer business have ordered.

Everyone thought that the new version would be called Win 9 - perhaps that was Win 8.1 :lol - but there was speculation that MS were going to call it something completely different from Windows # but guess they couldn't decide what :)