Author Topic: Re:hey all(need help)  (Read 10356 times)

Offline softwareguy

• View Profile
Re:hey all(need help)
« on: December 11, 2011, 02:19:25 am »
I realize I am new here, but I have a bit of a problem;While booting up my desktop earlier tonight, windows wanted to do a disk check;, which is fine;the thing is, it would not complete due to an error, now did not say which kind. The pc proceeded to boot into windows after wards, and tried to run some programs;Glary utilities, cc leaner, etc. some would run, some would not. Then I rebooted my pc, and I got a bsod. I did a google check on the code it presented me with, but could not find anything, I also did a virus scan, and came up clean. Any help? The thing is, when I ran c cleaner, At times I got a message saying a dll file was missing. Thanks again.

Offline friedmonky

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 08:12:22 am »
what version of windows are you running?  First thing I would do is boot to your windows disk and run a chkdsk /r.  If you are still having issues, the second thing I would do is run a diagnostic utility (preferably the one provided by the hard drive manufacturer) on your hard drive.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 12:58:18 pm »
I agree with friedmonky, it sounds like you have a bad sector on the hard drive.

When windows did a scan on the drive it did a normal scan. It found data on a bad sector but didn't or couldn't repair it. Doing a chkdsk /r will have windows scan for bad sectors, and if it find them it will move the data off of the bad sector.

No matter what it might be time for a new hard drive and get your data off of that drive asap just to be safe.

So check that you do have bad sectors, if you do try to find a good deal on a new hard drive. Hard drives have jumped 400% in cost, so it may not be very cheap like it use to be.

Shane

Offline softwareguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 03:30:59 pm »
Thanks for the quick response you two, and the suggestions. Before my first post here on the forums, I did the windows disk check, and a hard drive utility check also. I have a 500gb hitachi hard drive. Also running Windows XP Home edition. I haven't upgraded to Windows 7 as of yet, because Not too sure I can trust it, since 7 is just an upgrade from Vista, and Vista was terrible. Anyway, after all this, I just reinstalled the operating system(yep, I do back up everything).  Thanks again for the responses, and the help.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 03:33:29 pm »
Windows 7 with SP1 has earned my respect as a good replacement for XP.

7 is what vista should have been :wink:

Shane

Offline friedmonky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 03:56:46 pm »
Windows 7 w/SP1 is the best OS Microsoft has ever made.  I never thought I would say that after XP but it's true.  Vista is the absolute worst OS Microsoft ever made.

You say that you did a disk check but did you do it booting from your windows disk, and did you run a chkdsk /r?  Also, what hard drive diagnostic utility did you run?