Author Topic: Simple Performance Boost  (Read 19754 times)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Simple Performance Boost
« on: November 21, 2011, 12:24:08 am »
There're a number of options/tweaks (Visual Tweaks) in Simple Performance Boost (SPB) that only can be (un-) selected together because they share the same registry key. That's the subject of the suggestions/thoughts below.

-- They could be placed/grouped together and be given/share one option-box only as well. Move the entire group as a whole to e.g. the top of the tab. To make it clear they belong together.
-- You could reduce the amount of lines they occupy in the tab. Simply one box/option called e.g. ""Several visual tweaks that increase computer speed and are controlled by one reg value/key"" or something along those lines. Then you could move the extended explanation to the explanation pane in the bottom left hand corner.
-- SPB states that these tweaks either can be switched on together or switched off together only because they share the same reg keys. But Windows (XP) on my laptop clearly suggests that I can individually tweak/manipulate each option, each with a separate box (Start, Configuration, System, Advanced, (visual Settings)). :confused: See attachment (this is the dutch version of the menu that allows the user to set those visual options). Or has these options/boxes removed from Vista & Windows 7 ?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Performance Boost
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 12:27:38 pm »
-- SPB states that these tweaks either can be switched on together or switched off together only because they share the same reg keys. But Windows (XP) on my laptop clearly suggests that I can individually tweak/manipulate each option, each with a separate box (Start, Configuration, System, Advanced, (visual Settings)). :confused: See attachment (this is the dutch version of the menu that allows the user to set those visual options). Or has these options/boxes removed from Vista & Windows 7 ?

That is because the reg key used for those is a hex key. Change 1 part of the key and part of the hex is changed. I have the values for turning them all on or off. But I don't know how the values are suppose to be when they are mixed.

An example of what the reg key looks like:
[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-4162193956-2004064655-172555002-1000\Control Panel\Desktop]
"UserPreferencesMask"=hex:9E,3E,07,80,12,00,00,00

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 01:00:52 pm »
I could try to see what changes in the registry keys when I change the separate options :wink:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 01:09:23 pm »
Let me know what you find out.

I am still working hard on the new advanced system tweaker :-)

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 12:29:08 pm »
I thought I would crack this problem in 30 minutes or so but it's much more complicated and far from clearcut. And I ruined my original settings. Didn't save the original Windows-theme before I started tweaking/fiddling.

It seems the ever changing mask is used to determine which parts of Windows are to be loaded and run by Windows. This reminds me of what I saw on my old home computer when I went through the OS. (in assembler). Then every bit (in a byte) could have a separate meaning.

I simply won't give up right now but I fear this could be all in vain.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 01:10:31 pm »
I made those tweaks years ago and went through the same thing. Ended up just having them either on or off :wink:

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 06:36:01 am »
I give up. It's that preference mask that effectively blocks all my efforts of understanding what's going on. Sorry mate. I'll leave that box (""visual effects"") above the ""Apply Tweaks button"" unticked from now on and use the build in facility of Windows XP to change the visual effects.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 09:26:12 pm »
Thats what I did. But for me I have them all off anyways. You dont really notice when they are on and every bit adds up :-)

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 10:57:12 pm »
I have a laptop and then ticking some boxes improves the on screen readability. And the Cleartype app also is a big help.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 10:58:16 pm »
Odd I thought I had clear type enabled by default?

Shane

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 05:22:51 am »
I use ClearType and can confirm with the default settings on Simple Performance Boost, ie leaving smooth edges of screen fonts unchecked, that ClearType works fine,  :smiley: hope that helps?

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 09:40:24 am »
I need to elaborate. In fact there's no problem at all. In order to find out what changed in the registry with visual tweaks I switched off all options (i.e. chose ""best performance"") in Windows (XP). And by switching one separate option on at a time I tried to find out what changed in the registry when I changed one option. So, I ruined my original settings but the way Windows stores those settings is VERY complicated. Then I restored the original settings using XP and not SPB.
And ran the ClearType applet again. That's enabled/controlled by ""Smooth edges of screen fonts"" ??

I unticked the box ""Visual Tweaks"" (above ""Apply Tweaks"") because I didn't want to disable all visual tweaks that are controlled by that one registry key. But now after using my laptop for a while I think I'll go back to the ""best performance"" setting. And then I can tick those boxes with ticking only one box.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 10:19:19 am »
That's enabled/controlled by ""Smooth edges of screen fonts"" ??

In XP, right click on the Desktop>Properties>Appearance>Effects>Use the following method to smooth the edges of screen fonts>select ClearType is how I set it up, and to adjust ClearType I have the tuning option in control panel http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartypepowertoy.mspx. So, yes I think ClearType is enabled/ controlled by enabling "Smooth edges of screen fonts".

I suffer from a mild visual impairment, and have found that making the contrast darker within ClearType helps to overcome this. Thanks to my Optician for the tip on this one  :wink:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 10:44:36 am by Samson »

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 09:41:51 am »
In SPB there're 7 options that can't be (un-)selected individually because they share all the registry key. I found out what the individual values are. One has to go down to the bit level to see the changes. Looking at the HEX level doesn't make any sense. When all those 7 options in SPB are NOT ticked (all effects enabled) then the mask is 9E 3E 07 80 (Hex).

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1482476501-688789844-854245398-1003\Control Panel\Desktop]
"UserPreferencesMask"=hex:9E,3E,07,80

But in binary it looks like 1001 1110 0011 1110 0000 0111 1000 0000 (8 groups of each 4 bits). And 7 individual bits control each one visual effect.

This is the explanation: (x = doesn't matter/didn't change)

xxxx 123x xx4x 56xx xxxx x7xx xxxx xxxx

When one of these seven bits (numbered 1 - 7 in the line above) is reset (""0"") then one particular effect is DISABLED. See explanation below:

Bit number X (1-7, see above) controls:
1: ""Smooth scroll list boxes""
2: ""Slide open combo boxes""
3: ""Fade/Slide menu into view""
4: ""Show shadow under mouse pointer""
5: ""Fade/Slide tooltips into view""
6: ""Fade out menu after clicking""
7: ""Show shadow under menus""

Please check/test the function of bits #1 and #2. I hope I got it right. I am not sure I did. Keyword: Translation.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 01:52:32 pm »
Very nice!

I will look this over. If it is at binary level I should be able to update the program so it knows what to set everything :-)

Makes me wonder why on earth MS did it this way.

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 02:07:40 pm »
I think it a left over from a previous version of Windows (ME ?, 2000 ?, 98 ?, 95 ?, NT ?). It was compressed into this to save space. Now in XP and above these options seem to have each a separate registry entry.