Author Topic: Bug in Windows AIO repair 3.6.5 (Solved)  (Read 7426 times)

Offline whiggs

• View Profile
Bug in Windows AIO repair 3.6.5 (Solved)
« on: November 25, 2015, 02:40:33 AM »
Hello.  I am having a difficult time reinstalling windows AIO repair.  The problem when I installed the most recent version downloaded from your site over the one on my computer without uninstalling, and I got the error "encountered sharing violation" included as attachment in message.  I then saw the Windows AIO Repair tray icon was still open.  "ok" I think, "Easy fix".  So I close the tray icon, and delete the program files folder, as the the program is no longer showing up in add or remove programs.  However, even if the folder is completely deleted, I still encounter the error message as if there is a process accessing the non-existing folder.  I have restarted my computer and repeated the process multiple times to see if that would resolve it, to no success.  Another interesting bug is that when I receive this error, the installation process freezes up and, while you can see the tile for the installation in the task bar, will not go away even after ending the process in task manager.  At this point I have to resort to a system restore.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 06:58:58 AM by whiggs »

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Bug in Windows AIO repair 3.6.5
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 02:45:14 AM »
hello first i wanted to ask you what antivirus are you using? because (sharing violation means the file is locked by the antivirus and this why you are getting the error, disable the AV and it will install fine)
let me know how it goes  :cheesy:
Julian

Offline whiggs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 01:59:12 PM »
Hello Julian.  So I was unable to mention this this morning due to the fact that I was in a rush to get out of town for holidays, but I actually google searched the issue and found a previous post detailing this exact situation.  http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php?topic=1754.0
I followed the instructions provided by shane, and, unlike the forum post, I was able to extract the portable edition in its entirety without incident, so it couldn't be the antivirus (Just so that you know, I use secureAplus antivirus, which I recommend to anybody).  The main reason I like my antivirus so much is that it can be used alongside an existing antivirus and, my favorite feature, it doesn't automatically block and quaranteen files it believes are malicious.  It temporarily blocks them, and then defers to the user what course of action to take.  Furthermore, I have been using this antivirus with Windows AIO repair successfully for just over half a year now.   Before doing anything else with portable Windows AIO repAIR, however, I launched Ultimate Virus Killer (a tool I have mentioned here before, aka UVK), and launched the "fix install problems" (description: This fix will grant access to the Windows installer database, and repair common issues related to the windows installer, and application data or temp directories.) and "run ms install/uninstall troubleshooter (description: This fix will download and run the Microsoft troubleshooter for program install/uninstall issues).  These did not resolve the issue either.  So I ran portable Windows AIO repair and boot the product into safe mode (which took longer than usual), and when I finally boot into safe mode, I opened portable windows AIO repair, and the comand console which usually launches when lauched for the first time when safe mode is booted using Windows AIO repair), did not provide the usual text, but instead provided an error message.  At this point, frustrated with what I thought would be an easy fix, I made a judgement call and used a macrium reflect image and restored my computer from an image.  Everything working now.  Sorry for wasteing your time.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 10:18:44 PM »
Hi, Glad that you could restore to normalcy using macrium refect.
                                        Would you kindly say how to use the free edition of this free program to restore the computer to original stage, in case of BSOD. Will it include the OS also, as it is needed for booting. Will it back up all the files including registry. If , whigg could give the idea it may help me as i am always on to something and i get no chance of restoring back using an image. Whigg please provide the exact program and exact link so that i could try , in case of any failure of system. Are you using free or paid version. Is the free version capable of restoring the image if one execute on a particular day without updating to present facilities
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 10:27:38 PM by jraju »
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline whiggs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 10:23:36 AM »
jraju,
Sure, I would be more than happy to provide you with the program I use.  I use Macrium reflect, the free version.  I consider this to be the best free backup/imaging software for multiple reasons all of which are pretty much explained on the free version download page: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
All you have to do is create a full system backup of your computer (note that you will need a removable disk or slave disk in order to create a full system backup, as Macrium automatically assumes that the drive and all partitions on the drive on which OS is installed is necessary for a system backup).  This might take a while, but you you will be able to perform the system backup while you are logged on.  Anyway, when you first access the program (after you have installed whatever updates it says you need), the program will ask if you want to create the rescue environment media.  You definitely want to do this, as this is what will allow to recover your system using the image that you will be saving.  Anyway, you will select which version of Window PE you want to use based on the OS you are using (program usually chooses correct version for you), the program will then automatically add all drivers that you computer currently uses that are compatible with Windows PE, and will ask to download Windows PE content from microsoft (select yes obviously), then let the program create the rescue media for you (I always save as an .iso, that way you can use cool feature explained next and you can use rufus to copy iso to bootable usb drive).  After you create the iso, a menu option will become available under "other tasks".  Select "add recovery boot menu option" to have the program automatically add the rescue media you created as a bootable option when OS boots.  When you select this option when booting computer, you will see a basic windows desktop/explorer layout with what looks to be macrium reflect running as a process.  From here, you can explore the disk in "windows explorer", open a command prompt to do just about anything a command prompt can do, and, of course, create os images and restore your computer with an existing image.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 11:15:54 AM »
+1 For Macrium Reflect, I've used it for a while now.

Easy to use (lots of helpful guides and tutorials available), reliable, well supported and free.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 10:41:17 PM »
Hi, Whiggs,
                             Do you mean External Hard disk to store the back up. Will it boot up as normal window starts and then displaying all as if it shows in explorer, folder wise.
                                     What is the size of external hard disk, should i have for a 150 gb storage hdd. there is free space available .
                                         If power is off, would it resume? What is the time that will take to finish the back up. Will it be a kind of iso.
                                            I am asking all this , as i want to test it, on my computer.
                                                     The technical details , phrase is somewhat little confusing in the article in the link, hence I ask

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 03:57:00 AM »
Hi, Samson,
                        Did you take up the computer image using that software. i have not heard what is slave disk, is that a second hard drive connection to the MOBO.
                                          I do not want to take the risk of that . Will the higher storage pen drive could be used as storage media. I want to try it because, i often try something and finding myself in troubles .If only i know this trick, it will be just booting from external hard disk or pendrive.
                                                                  If i take a back up on external hard disk, will it auto boot if failure occurs. Pl

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 04:09:12 AM »
Hi J,

In answer to your Qs....

Yup a slave HDD is just another HDD in the PC....Here is how I use Macrium Reflect (maybe a bit over the top, but can you have too many backups?)

I keep Disk images on an internal slave drive, also on an external USB HDD and on a 64GB flash drive (OS only). Using Macrium reflect you need to create a "rescue media"  (using Windows PE) in order to boot the PC, this can be CD/DVD or Flash drive ( which is faster).

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Creating+rescue+media

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 04:29:25 AM »
Hi, samson,
                      Thanks for the link. Pl explain the device driver part.  Is it the controller devices for your system, like when you normally install windows, it may prompt you error for missing drivers and not allowing you to go further from the install screen.
                               How to find those drivers and make ready for them when it asks? This is not easy as so much drivers not compatible to your system may be present but not the one you needed. I faced those problems.
                                i will go to intel site and download some and tried. These never worked. I will again try another set of drivers, which has to be copied to the pen drive to browse. I remember, about dozen trials and all of a sudden it found drivers for my system and allowed past the install screen.
                                         Are these drivers for allowing win installation is talked in the link ? Or it is some other thing?
                                              So, one must have a rescue disk and another for image? a bit confusing.
Will it not auto boot the image, when done?
                                                        I faced so much problems in finding the drivers . Is there any easy way of finding the device drivers automatically so that i could have it in a file whenever i need reinstall.
                                                        I mean the drivers that need to load the windows for my system. Intel supply so much drivers, and they stopped support to older systems . How to find the device drivers for loading windows for a particular computer? Samson, sorry for long ... question?

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 04:42:03 AM »
On the link I gave you expand the part in blue..."Example of adding a device driver." (At the end of part 3.)  Chances are that you won't need them for the rescue media anyway....."You do not need to install missing drivers for devices that you do not intend using from WinPE."  This will give you the information that you are after  :wink:

A Disk Image is not bootable, that is why you need to create the rescue media.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 04:47:01 AM »
Hi, Thanks again samson for prompt jet reply
                        One last question: will the software it self make the image along with rescue disk or should it be done separately. Since i read too much in an article, it is confusing, as they give all the details for all the persons including alerts on doing.
                                      So, if a place a pen drive and just do the instructions, i will get a pack, which include rescue disk as well as the all the files i copy at the time of taking the backup. Is it correct?

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 05:09:45 AM »
I should ammend what I said above  :shy:

You can create a rescue media USB flash drive and also store Disk images on it, I do this.

Creating the rescue disk is a separate process from creating the disk image, so no is the answer to your question.

Here is what I have done, it works for me  :wink:

1. Download and install Macrium Free to your PC.
2. Create a rescue USB flash drive. (This may require additional downloads...WAIK files, but you will be prompted along the way)
3. Create a Disk image from the program on your PC and save it to your Flash Drive or USB HDD

Always test your rescue media to ensure that you can boot your PC from it. And your Flash drive or USB HDD will need to be at least the size of the space used on your PCs HDD (Macrium does compress files a bit, but not that much)

I know it sounds complicated, but it does become second nature after awhile  :wink:

Take your time studying the guides and tutorials http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Macrium+Reflect+v6+User+Guide

I thought Windows 7 had its own disk imaging capability? I may be wrong, XP guy here  :wink:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 06:26:25 AM »
Win 7 does have its own "Create a system image" which I use to store the image onto an external HDD and you need to create a Repair disk to boot up with to recover from the image.

Using the Repair your computer from the Advanced Boot options, on the way to navigating to the Recovery Environment you are given the option to use one I made earlier or you can continue onto the RE and select that option, but plug the external HDD in first before hitting enter on that option to negate I can't find it bit.

For me, this is a lot more straight forward than going the Macrium route - but each to their own.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 08:41:02 AM »
Thanks for confirming that Boggin.

@J....What Boggin suggests would probably be the simplest solution for you, given that you have Win 7.

I use Macrium because the option does not exist in XP.

anything