Author Topic: Repairing broken apps in Windows 10 Bug.  (Read 37531 times)

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Repairing broken apps in Windows 10 Bug.
« on: December 10, 2015, 06:22:56 pm »
EDIT: in windows 10 Version 10.0.10586.318 the Powershell command works!!! Finally Microsoft fixed it! So that means the next version of windows repair will have it back on  :cheesy:

Currently in Windows 10 (1511) 10.0.10586 Powershell is having issues with this command it is a bug that is affecting and deleting apps Shane already removed the command from running when it checks which version of windows you are running. This bug is only known to be on windows 10 with the newly released update.

Here is the command That is causing this issue please be weary when running this command I recommend not running this until there is a patch for it.
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}
I'll be updating this when I know for sure Microsoft notices that there is a bug in the "Get-appXPackge" and patches Window's 10 so that this issue no longer exist's
here are the snapshot's of what it looks like.
(side note this command is a built in command to Windows)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 10:37:24 pm by Julian »
Julian

Offline RobC

• View Profile
Re: Repairing broken apps in Windows 10 Bug.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 02:27:04 pm »
Even with a fix the broken apps will stay broken. What are the chances MS will fix it to recover the apps without requiring a clean install? Would a reset be the proper way to fix it and what is the best procedure to make it easy to restore settings and devices?

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 02:36:23 pm »
okay so if you do it individually each app it looks like it will work so far. here is a command to fix just the start menu if the start menu is not working on windows 10.
Code: [Select]
Get-appxpackage -all shellexperience -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)}
Julian

Offline clayto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 06:03:24 am »
I have been struggling with this issue for some time, most of my Microsoft apps have failed, plus some others. I have tried a variety of fixes, none of which have worked. I have been hoping Microsoft would soon issue a solution, I am very reluctant to attempt a refresh/reset/reinstall. So I am relieved to have found this forum and thread, as I feel if I keep returning here I will eventually see the answers I need.

Offline clayto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 08:00:16 am »
I came across this --- I cant remember where. Simple, but doesn't Refresh remove many of your programs / apps? I don't want to do that.

If someone has the same problem do the following:
 Open CMD as Admin
 Then Type in:"shutdown /r /o"
 Wait about 20sec
 It will now get you to the Advanced Recovery of Windows
 After That click on Troubleshooting and click on Refresh my PC.
 Wait for it to do its thing about 10min.
 And your apps should work now.

Offline jasi110

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 11:07:20 am »
Unfortunately, I ran the command that made all the apps not work anymore before I saw this posting.  I went to run the "all in One" repair tool to fix it and saw the message display in that window.

Is there any way to bring the apps back?  I tried taking the "Get-App" command for shellexperience and changing it for other apps and it did not work.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 09:48:00 pm »
Only way as of right now is to do a refresh in Windows. I am still really surprised that this bug is still there after all this time and there hasnt been a word from MS.

Shane

Offline clayto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 03:18:48 am »
I agree with you entirely, about the absence of any reaction from Microsoft to this issue since November. I have been hoping for a fix this month ie. January. There seems to be no sign of it, in fact I have discovered another problem which may be related, the freezing of the link to Windows Gadgets in the Control Panel and my inability to install new Gadgets.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 03:35:40 pm »
windows 10 version 1511 (10586.71) Still not fixed.....
Julian

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 02:22:11 am »
Hi, It seems that microsoft has the knack of making auto updates to upgrade all the system to windows 10, which has so much bugs, especially for older machines. As one says the window updates are still coming for windows 7. I think windows 7 for sometime is the best choice.
                           wherever i browse, the forums are full of questions on this OS, with no solutions given on most of the problem.
                            My question to Julian! Will the machines that do not have requirements also would be auto upgraded to windows 10 or that would not be alerted by its auto scan ability

The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Ejmeintjes

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 10:54:34 pm »
So since I upgraded from an i5 to an i7-3770K windows 10 start and apps worked on first clean install, they then broke and even on clean re-installs they don't work from the first boot to the desktop, and nothing I have tried makes ANY difference. I am convinced it is the processor as that is the only thing that changed. Please help...can a faulty processor cause this? Windows 7 works like a charm so don't see any issues with my proc.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 11:08:01 pm »
Hi, ejme,
                     please post a new thread the same thing.

Offline Ejmeintjes

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 04:27:59 am »
You mean a totally new post in the forum board? Ok will do...thought it was kinda related to this thread but no problem.

Offline jimmug

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 08:13:46 am »
Shane posted on Jan. 17 that the only way, at present, is to do a refresh in Windows 10 to recover the lost apps.  When I go to the advanced Recovery for Windows, it only has a reset option, with and without removing files and apps.  Is that the same as a refresh?

Offline kevinclarke

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 06:38:08 am »
Hi,

I have this very same problem on Windows 10 with latest build. Is is the recommended solution a system reset but save data or does creating a new windows profile help?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Regards
Kevin

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 11:44:24 am »
So far it still isnt fixed even at the end of Feb. Makes me wonder if MS knows about it or if they dont care or if it was on purpose.

I do know that the command only does it to certain apps, not all of them. So i am wondering if I could still use the command but have it skip the ones that it fails on. That would make it to where at least the apps that dont break could still be reinstalled and fixed.

Also the fact that it doesnt do it to some apps and only to certain ones makes me think it has something to do with the install file for them and perhaps a new command that was added or a command that powershell or the app installer is taking wrong.

Shane

Offline kevinclarke

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 12:24:32 pm »
Hi Shane,

Thanks for your reply. I seem to have gotten my start button back with the Apps listing more or less ok, although not all are back and in particular my App Store button is missing which means I can't re-add the missing apps. I guess this is all related to the same problem? You would think/hope MS are aware of these issues and have a fix planned in another build.

Regards
Kevin

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2016, 02:44:57 pm »
for start menu only this command should fix it
Code: [Select]
Get-appxpackage -all shellexperience -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)}
Julian

Offline kevinclarke

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 10:08:59 am »
Hi Julian,

Many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the command did not fix it. I've now had to do a refresh of the system, but use the save data option. This obviously removed all apps but kept my data intact. It solved the problem as the apps returned to normal.

I see their has just been a new update for W10. I assume MS did not add any fix for this issue in this update? I found it difficult to decide from their notes exactly what it does fix although it mentioned some app issues were resolved.

Many thanks to all for your help and comments

Regards
Kevin

Offline Kaycontinental

• View Profile
    • Learn English Now
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2016, 10:29:29 am »
I am sorry, I know I am in the wrong place, but I could not find where to start a new topic.
I am using Windows 10 and every time I get an update, it changes all my default apps (every few days).  I have done a back-up of them, but it doesn't help.

Also, I have a couple of folders which will not delete.
The first one, when I try to uninstall it from Programmes and Features it tells me that:
"A network resource is unavailable.  Click to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'SyncMS164.msi' in the box below.  C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{4F34863D-3EC2-4623-9D5F-545A81B25AF1}v4.0.6634.0\"

Then I get:  "C:\ProgramData\Package Cache cannot be found.  Verify that you have access etc."

The other is uninstalled but remains in ProgramData and when I right click to delete it, I get:
"C:\ ------- is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure that the device or drive is connected etc."

And then:  "You require permission from Administrators to make changes to this folder."

Please help, I am at my wits end.  I ran Windows 7 for years and never had a single problem !!!!   :cry:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 01:39:36 pm by Boggin »

Offline Kaycontinental

• View Profile
    • Learn English Now
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2016, 02:44:50 am »
Hi there Boggin.
Many thanks for the reply.  I had already uninstalled the programs (your second link was the most relevant) but they remained on my pc and wouldn't go away.  I had the same problem with an icon from Box Sync.  It was definitely a Win 10 problem.  I spent the whole of yesterday working on this, to no avail.

So, I eventually gave up and had to go for a complete re-set.  In the last 16 years that I have been working on my computer 6 to 8 hours a day for 6 days a week, I have never had a crash, nor had to rely on my back-up for anything -  but in the last 8 months with Windows 10 I have had to do 2 complete re-sets...  Can you believe this?

Thanks again for your help.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2016, 02:54:14 am »
Hi, Key why would not use revo uninstaller free and there is an option to fire it. I do not remember , but if you open that a fire ball would be there at the right top. Just drag those adamant files , whatever the permission level, and put those in the fire, revo will eat it and you do not have any problem with those programs. A lovely free program of uninstalling stubborn exes

Offline Kaycontinental

• View Profile
    • Learn English Now
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2016, 03:04:44 am »
Hey, thanks for the reply Jraju, but believe me, I tried all the options before posting on here. 
Tweaking.com was my last option (and I ran that several times). 
I have used Revo Uninstaller for years. I even downloaded a third party app called Unlocker - but that didn't work either.

My problem was that I had already uninstalled the programs, but the icons remained and when I tried to delete them, Windows told me that the programs were no longer on my computer. 
They weren't in Program Files, one was in ProgramData (but would not delete), the other wasn't - and I couldn't even find either of them in the Register...

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2016, 06:57:56 am »
As you've already done a reset then it's probably too late for this now, but I've found FeeFixer to be an invaluable program for removing otherwise unreachable remnants.

http://www.freefixer.com/

It may also find other items that you may consider removing, but if you are unsure then click on the More info link for details of what the file could be.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 07:04:45 am by Boggin »