Author Topic: Set Owner / Set Permissions Logs  (Read 8301 times)

Offline Mighty Joe

• View Profile
Set Owner / Set Permissions Logs
« on: January 10, 2016, 09:12:37 pm »
Hi,

I was wondering if you allow members to submit their Tweaking logs for analysis?  There are some "access denied" errors in my Set Owner and Set Permissions logs that I was hoping to run by someone to find out if they are the aftereffects of malware or just normal entries that are no cause for concern.  If not, maybe you can suggest the best reputable forum that reviews Tweaking logs.

Could someone let me know? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks! :smiley:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Set Owner / Set Permissions Logs
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 03:41:11 am »
This is the best forum to view your Tweaking logs and is usually requested to assist.

Offline Mighty Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 09:53:10 am »
Thanks for your quick reply, Boggin.  I took the liberty of pasting the four logs below.  If you prefer I attach them just let me know.  Please also let me know what "the data area passed to a system call is too small" means.

1.  HKU_Set_Permissions_Error_Log

ERROR: Getting Security Info from <USERS\S-1-5-19\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\Root\ProtectedRoots> failed with: Access is denied.
ERROR: Getting Security Info from <USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\Root\ProtectedRoots> failed with: Access is denied.
ERROR: Getting Security Info from <USERS\S-1-5-21-956595361-2088304539-1011358878-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\Root\ProtectedRoots> failed with: Access is denied.

2.  HKU_Set_Owner_Error_Log

ERROR: Getting Security Info from <USERS\S-1-5-19\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\Root\ProtectedRoots> failed with: Access is denied.
ERROR: Getting Security Info from <USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\Root\ProtectedRoots> failed with: Access is denied.
ERROR: Getting Security Info from <USERS\S-1-5-21-956595361-2088304539-1011358878-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\Root\ProtectedRoots> failed with: Access is denied.

3.  HKLM_Set_Permissions_Error_Log

ERROR: Getting Security Info from <MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib\009> failed with: The data area passed to a system call is too small.
ERROR: Getting Security Info from <MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib\CurrentLanguage> failed with: The data area passed to a system call is too small.

4.  HKLM_Set_Owner_Error_Log

ERROR: Getting Security Info from <MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib\009> failed with: The data area passed to a system call is too small.
ERROR: Getting Security Info from <MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib\CurrentLanguage> failed with: The data area passed to a system call is too small.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 10:01:16 pm by Mighty Joe »

Offline Mighty Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 09:55:45 am »
Hi,

I hope you don't mind me following up.  Just a friendly nudge, hoping someone on Shawn's team can take a look at the above entries and let me know if the logs above are the after effects of malware or just benign.

Thanks again.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 06:06:52 pm »
Those errors are normal :-)

I keep forgetting to update the program to just remove those since those are normal to get, those registry keys are always locked by the system and thats why you get the error.

Shane

Offline Mighty Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 06:15:29 pm »
Hey Shane,

Definitely good to know those entries are benign. :smiley:

Thanks for your feedback and for all your hard work.  I've been using your programs for a while now find them super beneficial!

Joe