Author Topic: Error "Windows could not connect to the system to the System Event Notification"  (Read 38269 times)

Offline Phillip92

• View Profile
Well gentlemen after taking it apart cleaning it and double checking all connections it is now running faster. Still getting the same window error at startup and not quite as fast, a little lag. I feel kinda dumb feeling like I should have done that earlier but it seemed like a software error from the get go. I'm going to do all the window updates and go from there. Thank you both once again! I sure learned a lot but shit man my frusturation level was through the roof as I can fix others peoples computer but not my own :-/ I'll update on my status once I get up back up and running.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
so it ended up being a loose connection or dusty components eh? well that's a good start :D
Julian

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
As you are still getting the error message on start up after the clean out and reconnecting etc. - this is starting to look like a BIOS problem and either looking for a BIOS update or resetting the CMOS would be worth doing.

For info - this is the purpose of the BIOS http://smallbusiness.chron.com/purpose-bios-computer-69278.html

You'll probably need to Google for the Service manual for your machine/motherboard to reset the CMOS, as it isn't always a case of just removing the CMOS battery for a few mins - you normally have to swap a jumper to short the CMOS chip out.

The computer support site if OEM build will have any BIOS updates but if a custom built machine, then you will have to Google the motherboard number and it will probably be worth reinstalling the Chipset drivers after, followed by Video then Audio drivers.

Offline Phillip92

• View Profile
Sorry haven't responded but been busy. The error came up right after the clean up and reconnections but not anymore for a couple of days. It ran great for a couple days then started slowing up again :( if I power it off for a couple hours it boots up ok but starts again. Believe it might be the be a power supply problem or overheating. Running HWMonitor now to see what it shows. Not exActly sure what to look for on it though. Googling it now.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
I had this error show up on a few machine and some of them even fresh new installs that I was doing!

I noticed on the new installs it had happened after I installed the IDT audio driver. So I uninstalled the driver and rebooted and the error went away. Turns out it was causing a service to hang for a few before it would start and would cause the error at startup and would be fine after a min or so had pasted.

So as a test, try uninstalling your audio driver and software and see if that does the trick.

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I had this error show up on a few machine and some of them even fresh new installs that I was doing!

I noticed on the new installs it had happened after I installed the IDT audio driver. So I uninstalled the driver and rebooted and the error went away. Turns out it was causing a service to hang for a few before it would start and would cause the error at startup and would be fine after a min or so had pasted.

So as a test, try uninstalling your audio driver and software and see if that does the trick.

Shane

So was the error resolved by reinstalling the audio driver, or did it reappear ?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
I found a different IDT driver to use and the problem went away. Another time just reinstalling the same driver worked. So I am not sure exactly but I do know it was the audio driver holding up the services.

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Wonder if it's specific to IDT - mine use Realtek.

Offline Phillip92

• View Profile
Went ahead and tried that, so far so good. The error only comes up when it boots up after being very slow. After its been shut down for a few hours it boots up fine. Then after a while it just all the sudden slows down dramatically. If reboot after that the error comes up and takes 30 mins to boot and over 10+ hours for a program to run thatshould take 30-60 mins.

Been keeping HWMonitor open and my temps never exceed 70 even when running slow. Safe mode runs exactly the same. The only time it runs ok with no issues is a Live Tails Linux based bootable cd. I'm starting to think it may be the Power Supply. What's the best way to test that?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Is it possible for you to capture a snip of HWMonitor when it slows and the post it when things are back to normal.

If your HDD is up around the 70 mark then that is way too hot, but it's interesting that after it has been off for a few hours that it boots up okay - which could also point to memory.

http://www.buildcomputers.net/hdd-temperature.html

Audio and your GPU aren't in use in Safe Mode so it has to be a commonality to both those modes.

Next time it slows, shut it down and remove all sources of power and hold the power button in for ~30secs then see how it boots up.

After a few hours, the caps will also have drained as well as any cooling, so if it boots up okay after the cold boot then that would point to memory.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 01:49:01 pm by Boggin »

Offline Phillip92

• View Profile
It's currently powered off now. I'll boot it up in a couple hours, take a screen shot, use it til it slows and take another screen shot and post.

I'm assuming the power button routine you are referring to try is for a laptop, this is a desktop.

I've ran a few different memory diagnostics and they all came back ok but at this point it could be anything :(

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
No, you can do it with a Desktop as well and it is more applicable to a desktop because the capacitors take much longer to drain than they do in a laptop, so whatever is in memory will be retained for longer.

Offline Phillip92

• View Profile
A few minutes after startup.

Offline Phillip92

• View Profile
This is during the slow lock up. Sorry for the bad pic but couldn't send a screenshot while it was running slow.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Couldn't read that second one at all - but was there much difference in the voltage readings or the temps ?

Are you are able to use the Snipping Tool while it's slow to capture HWMonitor and then you can wait until it's working again to post.

Have you tried a cold boot after it slowed ?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 09:29:02 pm by Boggin »

Offline Phillip92

• View Profile
Here's 2 pics of the HWMonitor while slow. Doesn't look like much of a difference from the one running ok to me.

Hate to sound like a Newb but have a question about the cold boot. Unplug the power, hold power button down for 30 secs but then do I start it up right after or leave off for a few hours?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Holding the power button in for ~30secs drains the caps just as leaving it off for a few hours does, so you would start it straight up afterwards.

While your 3.3v rail looks a little low, the rest look okay, but there's quite a temp difference.

Offline Phillip92

• View Profile
Ok did the cool boot and started it up again. Still running slow like when I shut it down.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Then it isn't the memory.

That 68ÂșC on Core #0 looks a little high and Cores 0, 2 and 3 are running at 100% would suggest something is building up, but I'm not sure what.

Are all of your drivers up to date ?

Offline Phillip92

• View Profile
As far as I know. Installed a clean version of w7 and did over 200 updates. I can go and update drivers if you think some might be the cause.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
It is something to try as they can cause problems but as you also get this in Safe Mode, that would normally eliminate the video and audio drivers but you could download the chipset drivers if there are any and then the video and audio.

Offline Phillip92

• View Profile
What's the best way to do that? Device Manger and update drivers or uninstall and reboot??

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
For those type of drivers it's always best to go to the computer (OEM) support site or motherboard support site when the machine is a custom build.

Offline Phillip92

• View Profile
I went to the Gateway website and downloaded all the drivers. I unzipped them all and put them on a flash drive. I'll install them all one at a time. 

Unfortunately it's been slow all day. Left it off and unpowered all night. Booted up in about 15 mins and running slow. Powered it off and opened the case and cleaned it again. Left it off for a couple hours and still booting up slow :( afraid it's not going to run like it did anymore til I figure it out.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Can you go into Task Manager and under the Performance tab see what the CPU and Memory usage is.

If either are high then click on the Processes tab, double click on Memory in that column and that will sort the processes to the highest user first.