Author Topic: (Solved) win seven ulti hangs at shutdown for the past few days . fix wanted  (Read 13826 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi,
                Now the pc would not shut. I have to power off focibly. While shutting down, it is swirling round, and stops at the middle , just hanging. waiting for minutes to resume shutting down, fails.
please give a solution. Hotfix from microsoft does not solve the problem
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 09:07:25 am by jraju »
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Does it do the same in a clean boot as it may be one of the Startup items or non-MS services not shutting down properly.

What USB devices do you have connected ?

You can turn off Selective Suspend for those by right clicking on them in Device Manager, select Properties and under the Power Management tab, uncheck the box to Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

Can you give us a link to the MS Fixit you tried ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, I am having the nano usb adapter for wireless plugged. I made to speak to me , by enabling verbosestatus in registry. It is when it is closing services, it is hanging. But i made it connect manually, so that if i check in adapter settings, it does not show. But being a usb, do you think that it may be the cause.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
If it has only started hanging since you fitted the adapter, then yes, it would be prime suspect for me.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
I tried sfc scannow and it shows no vilation and nil error/
i tried chkdsk /r/f and it hangs at finishing the scan and while showing "Please wait while computer reboots", i have to forcibly close to get   the message, that the volume is clean message which should be a automatic process.
                          should i remove the usb adaptor. Or disable the connection at every shuttting. I do not think that this may be the prime reason. How to workaround like this.
It just stops before closing... clues

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
You haven't said if this only started to occur after installing the adapter.

Why do you need it to speak to you - that's a new one on me :)

Try disabling that to see if the shutdown is more smooth.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, i found that it is the problematic. It is shown as usual pendrive and i could disable . But my question is , should i have to disable each and every time the computer is shutdown.
                  When i disabled or eject, the computer closes properly. But why? while it could eject the pendrive ordinary, why could it not auto eject. is there a clue and fix.
                    What is microsoft miniport adapter virtual. It is a pseudo adapter virtual. Can i uninstall. Even when uninstalling and clicking scan for any hardware change, it comes back. Do you have any idea?
So, it is created when the usb is plugged? i do not know why it behaves like this?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
You only need the Miniport adapter if you are using a VPN.

To get rid of it as it can cause problems otherwise, open a cmd prompt as an admin and enter this cmd -

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=disallow

and to reinstate it, change the disallow to allow.

To disable Selective Suspend go into Device Manager - expand Network adapters - right click on the wireless adapter - select Properties then under the Power Management tab uncheck the box to Allow this computer to turn off the device to save power.

Also do the same for each USB Root Hub under Universal Serial Bus Controllers and then see if it makes any difference to the shutdown.

Have you disabled the verbosestatus to see if that also makes any difference ?

I'll be shooting off for a while as I need to run a couple of memory tests to see if they are contributing to a graphics BSOD I've been getting.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 03:03:18 am by Boggin »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, i contacted the dlink helpdeskman. he asked me to boot the computer along with plugged usb adapter and asked me to ammyy.com to download, so that he could access my browser. i did and after verifying the presence of wifi thro his usb, he said that he will shut down my computer. i readily agreed and the computer shutdown without any hanging. So, he asked me to look for some other causes for this behaviour.
           I have tried all the things, and found that this is the cause. when i not ejecting the usb adapter , it will not shutdown but hangs at shutting down process.
                as seeing of doctor cures the patient in a way, the computer probably would have shut down. i suppose, there is no logic.
                   I have seen a film, where an auto driver start efforts would be nullified by two persons , by forcing the auto not to start from the back of the auto, and when the autodriver comes to look for possible reason, the person who stopped the auto, would voluntarily come for help and in a new way would adjust the view mirror of the auto of the other auto and ask the driver to start. It would start. the logic is such that , the autodriver tries to do the same thing when another auto fails to start, would give him doses from the fellowmen.
                     Ok fun apart, what would be the other issues. I fixed this issue, but the vendor would not accept, as when he analyses the problem could not occur.pl

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
When you turned on Verbosestatus, does it give you shutting down messages ?

Have you considered returning the dongle to see if it can be exchanged for something else and did you uncheck those Power management boxes ?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 01:31:24 am by Boggin »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Re: win seven ulti hangs at shutdown for the past few days . fix wanted
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 06:05:43 am »
Hi, boggins the problem got resolved by doing sfc /scannow two times and chkdsk /f/r one time. I think power surge sudden closure would have made some corruption in the files system and made some correction.
                    now the problem solved and i do not think the cause is dlink usb, but some other services. Can i see the log for it in event viewer. Which log should i see to know, what caused the problem?
                         In the meanwhile, i contacted dlink support and he asked me to download ammyy.com a download to let him access my computer for a while. He asked me to browse network settings , and after seeing the usb adapter shown there, he asked my permission to shut down. i did. the computer obeyed and shut down cleanly without any problem. Probably the sfc and chkdsk would have solved the problem by then.  I did not stop verbose, as it gives a clue to what the window is doing. it shows menu wise action while shutting down. It stops at services, probably meaning that some services are waiting for something , but could not get that to close.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 08:26:32 am »
To read the chkdsk report, go into Event Viewer and when it has read the data, expand Windows Logs - click on the name Application/Action/Find and in the Find box type chkdsk or wininit and press enter.

Cancel the Find box and read the report in the scrollable window.

To read the CBS log, from an admin cmd prompt enter or copy & paste this cmd -

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will put an icon onto the desktop which when double clicked will open the CBS log into Notepad, reporting what it has found and repaired.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 08:58:23 am »
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.                         

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
  97280 file records processed.                                          File verification completed.
  100 large file records processed.                                      0 bad file records processed.                                        2 EA records processed.                                              44 reparse records processed.                                       CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
  124816 index entries processed.                                         Index verification completed.
  0 unindexed files scanned.                                           0 unindexed files recovered.                                       CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
  97280 file SDs/SIDs processed.                                         Cleaning up 465 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 465 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 465 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
  13769 data files processed.                                            CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
  35568008 USN bytes processed.                                             Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
  97264 files processed.                                                 File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
  44592390 free clusters processed.                                         Free space verification is complete.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

204696575 KB total disk space.
  26078392 KB in 78807 files.
     43812 KB in 13770 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
    204807 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
 178369564 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
  51174143 total allocation units on disk.
  44592391 allocation units available on disk
some index files have been corrected. would this fix the problem. how to identify.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 09:37:20 am »
If you ran a sfc /scannow twice before the chkdsk and the first one did the repairs required, then the chkdsk will have found nothing to repair and the CBS log which that cmd will pick up may also come up clean because of that.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 03:31:04 am »
Hi, Boggins. Understand that but will it not leave of logs which created the problem.
                I  went to event viewer and saw all the logs under chkdsk, and it has done some index correction on some items not easily  to be understood.
                  I also went to sevenforum, where there was a tutorial about looking in to shutdown event id, 6008 and how to see.
                   i went to event viewer and see the system log , and then select current log in the right pane and in the dialogbox , selected the user 32 and event id 1074. But all the logs contain no error message or any yellow exclamation in that .
                   where to see the logs of services? when i saw the services log it does not contain any error.
                      So i raised a query on the tutorial to Brink, the author of tutorial. But surfing the net, i came to understand, though you forcibly poweroff, it does register as a normal log. log expert could only tell that. i have seen all the logs

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2016, 04:45:14 am »
I suppose you could go back to the CBS logs, check the date and time stamps then delete back to the first one of those you ran.

That cmd I posted may then pick that one up for you.....

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 08:54:04 am »
The cbs.log folder is said to be empty. Sfc scan, gives message to the effect that it does not find any violation. Probably this is the reason for the folder to be empty.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2016, 08:58:51 am »
So is this fixed now or do you still get the shutdown hangs ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2016, 09:06:00 am »
hi, the problem was solved when i did the chkdsk and it corrected the index entries.
                  So, if your computer experiences abrupt shutdown due to power surge or unknown reason, then you have to use chkdsk /r/f and sfc /scannow to get rid of any jam in the closing down processes.
The log is found that some services, are delaying the shutdown process. But if you force down the power off switch, then it is recorded as some identification mark of the error, but without any error message description. i enclose the log  for other users to see

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I have Start and Shutdown warnings in my Event Viewer but neither specify the cause.