Author Topic: Computer is so messed up!  (Read 6930 times)

Offline badhairdaylady

• View Profile
Computer is so messed up!
« on: February 20, 2016, 08:12:40 pm »
After using your software, my computer is basically unusable!  Nothing loads, everything is so slow I can't even get a browser page up!  I don't know what to do!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Computer is so messed up!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 02:41:42 am »
Go back into the program and use the registry restore option.

I don't know why it should have screwed your system, but what problems were you having before hand that you decided you needed to run it ?

You haven't said which version of Windows you are using but from a command prompt run as an administrator, enter chkdsk /f

You will be prompted to type and enter y for it to run on the next restart - then type and enter shutdown /r /t 00 and wait for it to do its thing.

You can watch the repairs/checks taking place, but look to see if it reports any KBs in bad sectors in the short time it remains on the screen.

To read its report at your leisure, go into Event Viewer and when it has read the data, expand Windows Logs - click on the name Application - Action - Find then type chkdsk or wininit into the Find box and press enter.

Cancel the Find box and read the report in the scrollable window.

Offline badhairdaylady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 06:01:49 am »
The thing that led me to your site, was the inability to update windows.  I had tried everything.  Any scans I attempted I did in safe mode and came up with nothing.  There was nothing anywhere that would let me update Windows.  I tried every suggested to fix or tweak, or reinstall this, or that, nothing worked.  It wasn't that I would get an error, it would just not load and would eventually timeout.  So I decided to try your site. 

I'm running Win 7 Premium.  I followed everything to the letter!  Did the chkdsk /f on restart and it came up with nothing and I did sit and watch, and there were no bad sectors.  When my computer kind of crapped out (very slow, could barely load a web page and very delayed response when I clicked on anything, like task manager, control panel etc.   I ran some more scans in safe mode with other tweaking programs.  I did finally manage to get better speed and response.  I tried again to update windows..nothing, nada, it would not update and felt very much like that's it, computer is done.  I use this desktop for work, I work from home.  Then I did something I'd been avoiding...

I went to Win 10 Update and damnit I did not want it.  I have it on my laptop and hate it.  Anyway, it took the update immediately! I feel like I am being forced to upgrade!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 06:33:40 am »
Is your desktop machine an OEM build with a Recovery partition that you could factory reset from ?

Offline badhairdaylady

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 07:22:54 am »
Yes I think so! 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 07:31:45 am »
That may be the best option after backing up your personal stuff and making a note of any product keys for paid for programs.

The time consuming bit is reinstalling any 3rd party programs etc. and Windows Updates, but it should resolve your problems.

However, I think you will have to use the Roll Back option to go back to Win 7 so that you can get into the Recovery Environment to access the factory reset option.

Offline badhairdaylady

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 08:04:15 am »
Reverting back to Windows 7 still wouldn't resolve my original issue of not being able to update it.  I realize that other OSs won't be supported forever.  The Windows 10 suggestion to upgrade is all over the place, telling you constantly to upgrade.  The inability to upgrade my Win 7 even though there was really no reason why I couldn't suggests to me that maybe Microsoft is forcing us to upgrade by systematically stopping updates prematurely before the end of the OS lifespan to force our hands.

I've read so many articles and forums with people having the same issue with no solutions.  Could Microsoft do that?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 08:11:39 am »
I'm running Win 7 x64 Home Premium on two Toshiba laptops and will be doing so until 2020.

MS wants everyone on Win 10 and they have become very aggressive in trying to achieve that with what I call sneaky updates that have allowed Win 10 to auto install on the unsuspecting.

Whatever is causing your problems with Windows Updates isn't down to MS but something with your computer and many have had to revert to a repair install, reinstall or factory reset when nothing else has resolved.