Author Topic: [solved]Issue with Volume shadow service  (Read 7355 times)

Offline whiggs

• View Profile
[solved]Issue with Volume shadow service
« on: February 23, 2016, 03:00:30 pm »
Hello all,
I have a windows 2012 R2 server that I have configured, and I am running into a very time consuming and annoying issue whenever I try to create an image backup using windows server backup services or any other image backup software (tried macrium server, Imperium, etc.).  When the process gets to the part where it starts using the Volume Shadow service (for windows server backup services it says "creating volume shadow copy of the disks" ) and then hangs.  I access this server using RDP over my LAN, and the server will remain somewhat responsive (as long as nothing is clicked, like you can still see tooltips and the like), but after a long period of time, I completely lose connection to the server and cannot reconnect.  I then am left with no choice but to force power off the server, at which point it won't get past the "loading" pre-boot screen, and I am forced to reapply the image I have for it.  I have done all sorts of research, but most of what I have found is related to server 2003 and not applicable to my product.  I believe it has something to do with the way Volume shadow services is configured for my drives (it is not, "vssadmin" command displays no information for VSS), but I am unable to find a guide or tutorial on how to configure VSS FOR WINDOWS BACKUPS SPECIFICALLY.  This problem is driving me nuts and has consumed hours of time reinstalling server os.  Any help would be awesome.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 12:49:14 pm by whiggs »

Offline whiggs

• View Profile
Re: Issue with Volume shadow service
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 04:44:25 pm »
So an update.  I performed a backup again this morning and left it.  I just checked it again, and now windows server backup service screen is showing an error message "the creation of a shadow copy has timed out.  Please try again."

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 05:29:35 am »
Hi, whigg, try this fix
re register all the dlls
 I am enclosing a bat file. Just download and click it to run in Admin cmd. command prompt
It will fix most of the things.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline whiggs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 04:11:58 pm »
Hey.  Thanks for the effort, but I found that script as well and already tried it.  Sorry for not including it in the list of steps I already tried.  Testing out theory now: the server operating system that is having the issue is a custom "wim" that I captured to speed up deployment/have windows updates pre-installed.  The hard drive on which the custom wim is stored has, I just found out, been reporting several S.M.A.R.T. errors involving "uncorrectable sectors".  So the HD is toast, and it may have taken my custom image with it :teeth:.  I have installed the os from the original install disc and will update how that turns out

Offline whiggs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 04:22:03 pm »
Ok.  Just ran the windows server backup service again and still the same thing!!  On a os that was installed from the orginal media, so I guess it wasn't the install image.  Just to give you a better picture of what I am dealing with, here is the frozen screen.

Offline whiggs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 12:48:51 pm »
Figured it out.  Another "derp" moment on my part.  Since my server is a file server, needed to install the optional "file server shadow copy agent service" feature and it started working.