Author Topic: Tweaking Registry Backup crashing  (Read 12072 times)

Offline rpaz

• View Profile
Tweaking Registry Backup crashing
« on: March 07, 2016, 02:18:11 am »
Hi,

I have a difficult case to track...

Running Tweaking Registry Backup v3.3.1 Portable on Windows Server 2003 R2 from a task scheduler that calls a batch script with the /SILENT switch the program crashes. The task is set to run with the Administrator credentials.

On the event viewer there is this:
Faulting application TweakingRegistryBackup.exe, version 3.3.0.1, faulting module msvbvm60.dll, version 6.0.97.82, fault address 0x000c9ac6.

Despite the error the backup of the registry is done successfully. Another thing if I run the batch manually it doesn't crash.

It seems the problem could be related with the active session or graphic mode! because if I start the batch and immediately close the RDP connection leaving the batch running then Tweaking Registry Backup will crash exactly like when the batch run unattended from the Task Scheduler.

What can I do to provide more information about this crash and help fixing this?

TIA

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Tweaking Registry Backup crashing
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 06:51:03 pm »
msvbvm60.dll is the runtime file for VB6. I also just updated Registry backup to v3.4.0 and di away with a lot of my custom controls. Let me know if the new version does any better :-)

Shane

Offline rpaz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 01:54:58 am »
Hi Shane,

Thank you for your interest.

I already tested the new version and unfortunately the situation didn't change with the new version!

Not sure if this helps the backup is done using VSS and in the end the value returned by TweakingRegistryBackup.exe is -1073741819

On this new version the program I see a new minor glitch, when the program starts the window looks like this:

the normal window isn't hidden only after minimize then restore I see the proper window.

One question would be possible to make the /SILENT parameter *real* silent i.e without any minimized button on the task bar? Maybe this could solve the crash.

Thanks for your help.

Regards.

___
Rui

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 01:17:17 am »
on 3/29/16 Shane released a new version have you tried that one yet?

http://www.tweaking.com/news/index.html

let me know how it goes I believe he fixed that issue in the new version.
Julian

Offline rpaz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 02:44:54 am »
Hi Julian,

Both issues continue in v3.4.1

Offline pol098

• View Profile
Re: Tweaking Registry Backup crashing, MSVBVM60.DLL faults
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 06:49:43 am »
I've been having a problem that others have reported (search for MSVBVM60) with Registry Backup. I had been using ERUNT, successfully, under Win 7, but it didn't behave well under Win 10 so I installed RB. Win 10/64, up-to-date as of now, RB 3.4.0.1. As it wasn't working I changed the VSS executable from automatic to vss_7_8_2008_2012_64.exe, same behaviour.
Another relevant post: http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php?topic=4033.0

I have set up RB to run as System on login of any user, saving to a non-standard location and not more than once per day. The VSS service was initially set to run manually, but I changed it to automatic. RB runs fine manually, but does not back up automatically. I looked at the event log and found Error, event ID 1000, details:

Faulting application name: TweakingRegistryBackup.exe, version: 3.4.0.1, time stamp: 0x56f4a2b2
Faulting module name: MSVBVM60.DLL, version: 6.0.98.15, time stamp: 0x49b01fc3
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000c9ba6
Faulting process id: 0x2040
Faulting application start time: 0x01d19a3622cb4882
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Registry Backup\TweakingRegistryBackup.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSVBVM60.DLL
Report Id: 6b50db5c-33de-48da-9eb6-f3e412c3c5d8
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

MSVBVM60.DLL is a Visual Basic Virtual Machine. On running manually a shadow copy is created, with a progress indicator; the automatic invocation doesn't seem to have created a shadow copy. The only guess I can make is a timing issue, the VSS service not being ready at login time (as RB works when invoked manually after login), but it's only a guess. I don't know if Microsoft provide debugging maps and so on to pin down the MSVBVM60.DLL error.

I can't comment on the program; if it ultimately works as well as ERUNT did under Win7 I'll be happy. The only suggestion I'd make is an option to use "20160419" (or 160419) in file/directory names instead of "19Apr16", as this form sorts alphanumerically in chronological order.

Best wishes, pol098

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 10:09:44 am »
- One thing regarding ERUNT. Windows 7 and newer have a registry hive called "Components". ERUNT doesn't backup that hive whereas Registry Backup does backup that hive.

Offline pol098

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 12:57:40 pm »
"... Windows 7 and newer have a registry hive called "Components" ..." Thanks, I hadn't realised; fortunately I never had any trouble.

By the way, following up to my posting of earlier today, Task Scheduler was set up to delay 5' after login, so the problem doesn't seem to be due to trying to back up before the system was ready.

Best wishes

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 03:54:10 pm »
- I know the 5 minute delay was added to Task Scheduler to avoid overburdening the system upon start up. Windows needs to do A LOT OF things upons start up. You Always can change that, of course.
- The crashing occurs because RB is designed to be as fast as possible. That trick works when one has a (very) fast graphics card. But the average user doesn't have such a fast graphics CPU. And then RB wants to move on before the graphics card has finished. Hence the crash.
- Perhaps Windows Vista has such a hive as well but I don't know. Never used Vista.
- The development of ERUNT was stopped before Windows 7 came to market. (As far as I know).
- The vast majority of users don't know of the existence of "Components".

Offline pol098

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 08:04:21 am »
The crashing occurs because RB is designed to be as fast as possible. That trick works when one has a (very) fast graphics card. But the average user doesn't have such a fast graphics CPU. And then RB wants to move on before the graphics card has finished. Hence the crash.
Thanks for that. I'm using a recent laptop machine (Clevo) with an Intel i7 CPU, using built-in rather than add-on graphics. I would describe this as a fast machine for anything except extreme game-playing. I would expect (and do find!) that most programs would run well on it. And why does RB run fine in manual mode, but not automatically 5' after boot? This may well be a program problem that needs addressing; I'm not the only one to report this issue (link in a previous post of mine). Does RB make any calls to the Visual Basic Virtual Machine DLL MSVBVM60.DLL in automatic mode that it doesn't make in manual mode? The Event Viewer error message gives a specific exception 0xc0000005 - an access violation - in that module, at 0x000c9ba6. Best wishes, pol098

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 11:49:26 am »
Perhaps Shane knows what's going on there.