Author Topic: (Solved)Nvidia device not compatible with windows 10  (Read 13682 times)

Offline Tacotardis42

• View Profile
(Solved)Nvidia device not compatible with windows 10
« on: March 17, 2016, 10:58:07 am »
Hello everyone! I was running the media creation tool to install windows 10, and it told me my graphics devixe was not compatible with windows 10. My device is Nvidia Geforce 7050, which is EOL, so it makes sense hat it wouldn't work right. Would installig windows 10 still work? I don't play any games on that computer anyway, so all I want for the graphics is that I can use the comouter normally. Is there any way I could do that without buying a new graphics card, or would the graphics not work correctly? Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 08:36:55 am by Tacotardis42 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Nvidia device not compatible with windows 10
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 11:23:49 am »
If Windows finds an incompatible device then the upgrade won't succeed, which is why it's giving that error message.

However, you could try installing this driver prior to upgrading although I don't know if it is backward compatible with your current Windows version.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/84889/en

If you need to roll the driver back and you had problems with it in your current version, then you would need to boot up into Safe Mode - but in any event before you change your current set up, create an external system image first.

Offline Tacotardis42

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 11:54:49 am »
So is the software the main problem? If so, I think I may be able to get it through the installation and update the driver from windows 10. But do you know if it is just the driver software, which is a relatively easy fix I've heard, or could it be the hardware? And I checked, and the graphics card meets the minimum requirements of directx 9 (it's 11) and WDDM 1.0 (it's that exactly). So it looks promising that it is only the software.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 12:58:10 pm by Tacotardis42 »

Offline Tacotardis42

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 01:00:55 pm »
Personally, I'd rather go through he installation and reapir the driver later if it's an option, than to try to install the driver for a different version of windows and hope for the best. Should I try to go through with the installation? It looks like it'd let me.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 03:26:24 pm »
If it allows the install, then try that route.

Offline Tacotardis42

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 03:29:49 pm »
Ok, I'll do that. What if it installs but is messed up graphically? What would be the best thing to do then?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 03:59:25 pm »
From a further dig around, you should be okay using the MCT to upgrade as this article explains.

http://ivanrf.com/en/nvidia-compatibility-issue-with-windows-10/

Offline Tacotardis42

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 04:04:10 pm »
Thanks! Finally I can escape my amazingly glitched windows 7 update. I have had so many problems with it, I decided that windows 10 might help. If not, at least I'll be familiar with windows 10. I'll post here again if I have difficulties reinstalling the driver, but I'll tentatively put this as solved.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: (Solved)Nvidia device not compatible with windows 10
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 04:22:31 pm »
Sometimes the upgrade can resolve problems in the prior, but also, those problems can be carried over - although Win 10 users don't seem to have update problems except when the updates are the cause of the problem.

Good Luck :)

Offline Tacotardis42

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 04:25:30 pm »
Thanks! And I just ran the setup (not done yet) and it never said anyhting about my nvidia even thouh it did before and I did the exact same thing 0_0 but it might have to do with me messing with the thing some. And is it alright if I go a bit OT and ask what OS you use as your main one?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 05:02:32 pm »
I use Win 7 x64 Home Premium but had a short foray into Win 10 but didn't like it - and even less later, when nothing came up in the Start menu so that I couldn't do anything.

At the time I wasn't aware AMD had a driver update for my HD6310 so the display was a little stretched so that I could just about click on the Aero button.

For me, there was nothing I could do better in Win 10 that I couldn't already do in Win 7 and easier.

Oh - and Cortana didn't recognise I was in the UK and using English (UK) language - so much for it knowing all :D

I had to create a MS account to find that out but after doing so, then had to log in to use the laptop which is something I wasn't happy with.

Offline Tacotardis42

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 05:11:21 pm »
Good to know! I use windows 7 home premium x64 on my main computer, and I mostly just want to experiment and get familiar with windows 10 on my secondary just because it looks interesting. And now there's an hour or more setback because windows 10 failed to install right where the first reboot should've been. Now I have to run windows repair and then redo the installation process, which for me is about an hour or two (to the point I got to anyway) all the while hoping win repair fixed the issue. And I have to be there when it reboots, or else it will automatically boot into my ubuntu partition. Fun fun fun

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 05:30:33 pm »
It may be baulking because of the Nvidia compatibility but you won't be the first to have Win 10 upgrade failures, even with a compatible machine.

Offline Tacotardis42

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 05:47:44 pm »
I don't think that's the reason because it didn't even complain (that time) and it probably would've stopped me sooner. I could be wrong of course though. The repairs are done now, and I'm running System File Checker (SFC) and checking my file system (Chkdsk) for good measure. Hopefully it will find and fix errors so I can blame the failed install on that :p

Offline Tacotardis42

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2016, 08:10:28 pm »
This install failed again, but this time it actaully seemed to work, but after reboot it said "It failed but we didn't break anything badly!" and it's because of driver problems. go figure. Next step is to remove non present drivers and other stuff. Hopefully it will work this time....

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 03:05:51 am »
I'm removing the (Solved) from your thread title as you are still having problems which may or not be related to the Nvidia.

Offline Tacotardis42

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2016, 08:36:27 am »
Thank you, but the installation worked! Removing the non present drivers helped! Also I dual boot wih xubuntu and I heard to install windows 10 you have to boot up differently hen usual. So everything worked! I'm using basic windows display driver nowm but that's fixed easily enough. And I see what you mean about windows 10, but it has some useful features (a windows update that isn't broken) and the DISM command, both of which look promising. Hopefully my problems with windows update are over! And the malicous software removal tool failed to install. Good enough to mark as solved though! Thanks for your help Boggin!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 08:51:06 am »
Glad that worked out for you - I wonder if that would also be a fix for others who have failed upgrade problems ?

Offline Tacotardis42

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 08:56:48 am »
Obviously I can't know for sure, but it sounds like a reasonable fix in general. I heard somewhere that th error was caused by too many drivers reaching an internal limit (I think :p) but also that a registry key caused issues, so for god measure I ran jetclean to weed out any possible registry entries that could cause problems. Also, I temporarily disabled my antivirus because I heard that helps too. If you see somebody else have a similar problem, feel free to tell them about some of these tricks, hopefully it will work for them too!.