Author Topic: Windows 10 inaccessible boot device error on startup  (Read 9009 times)

Offline Tacotardis42

• View Profile
Windows 10 inaccessible boot device error on startup
« on: April 01, 2016, 01:07:50 pm »
Hello! First thing to saym it's my fault and most likely not the fault of a virus. I honestly don't know what I did, but my windows 10 boots up to BSOD error Inaccessible boot device, and nothing I've tried has helped. I dual-boot with linux, but it broke later, so that is doubtfully the cause. I can boot up linux and cd/dvds normally, it's just windows. Using the windows built in recovery options using the win 10 recovery cd, I used to be able to boot into windows using system restore, but I would have to it every time (to be clear, it didn't always do that, and as soon as it did I tried to fix it), but windows of course decided to delete all my restore points, ans startup repair was unable to fix it, and I can't get into the advanced boot options menu (i.e safe mode plus oher stuff), even using cmd prompt to enable it. Chkdsk and SFC don't work, and Dism didn't work properly even when I could boot up usig system restore, and I haven't made backups since I only recently installed windows 10. The reset windows option fails at about 30% and "updating" using the installation media disk reqires me to boot into windows. The only time I managed to access the advanced boot menu, safe mode crashed as well. As far as I can tell, my only option left is to completely reinstall windows 10 from scratch, which is inconvenient as I do not have many personal files, and no irreplaceable one I can't move, but is still a last resort. Is there anything I can do to fix it, aside from complete data-destroying reinstall? Sorry if this is a tall order, but I tried essentially everything I could think of, and I'm understanbly a bit annoyed. Thanks in advance!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 inaccessible boot device error on startup
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 01:20:13 pm »
Are all non-essential items unplugged from the machine ?

As you seem to have tried everything, I think you will have to revert to your previous OS - please tell me you created a system image before upgrading...

Offline Tacotardis42

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 01:28:11 pm »
I only have a dvd in here at ths moment, and even without one it fails. I'll be honest, I didn't BUT I do not have any essential files and even if after everything I do I'm stuck without Windows, I have linux to use, which in my opinion is better anyway. Just slightly more boring without all the problems to fix XD And I believe I could reset to factory default, but obviously that's only in extreme cases. I don't mind too much if I have to reinstall 10, it's just a bit of a hassle. Besides, windows 7 updates for me were way too much of aproblem on this machine.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 01:53:38 pm »
I think as long as Win 7 has SP1 you should be able to do a clean install of Win 10 without bothering with the other 200+ Win 7 updates.

Offline Tacotardis42

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 02:14:34 pm »
I can do a reinstall directly from the dvd, supposedly at least. That would be preferable, so I'll try that first. Maybe try a last ditch effort, if I can think of one.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 02:30:23 pm »
Good Luck :)

Offline Tacotardis42

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 03:23:07 pm »
Thanks! I have all the luck in the world with computers, don't I? :p Oh and just to let you know, windows 10 installed fine, and it gave me the slightly buggy windows 10 basic video driver since my graphics card doesn't have any drivers for windows 10, but 3dpchip (not the best driver updater, I know) suggested I go with the Vista/7/8 version, and after making sure I made a restore point, it actaully worked! A bit OT but I thought I may as well mention it. And I'm going to run DISM commands now, because who knows? Maybe it will work!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 03:36:59 pm »
So are you still getting the error after the reinstall that you need to run the Dism cmds ?

Offline Tacotardis42

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 03:47:15 pm »
No, I'm trying to avoid reinstall, so this is my last ditch effort. But since trying to get DISM to work for a offline windows image (I barely even know what that is) I'm going to have to renstall now. Just need to check it for any important files via my ubuntu installation. For safety, I think I'll just copy and paste all the info to it to make sure I get everything :p DEFINENTLY making a system image after the install, I ain't going through this again.

Offline Tacotardis42

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 04:05:35 pm »
And of course my linux broke too? My computer is annoying the crap out of me right now, since linux and windows broke independently. I don't even know why it did that, since my last fairly recent smart scan said everyhing was ok and I had no reallocated sectors or anything. I'll keep you posted, but I think the soonest I can do anything important is tomorrow. Thanks for your help so far!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 02:52:56 am »
In your Reply #6 I was under the impression you had already reinstalled Win 10 ?

I think you should start with a clean slate by reinstalling Win 7 then see if chkdsk and sfc /scannow work and then go from there.