Author Topic: windows update repair works only partially  (Read 32403 times)

Offline pratomorone

• View Profile
windows update repair works only partially
« on: April 19, 2016, 07:50:37 am »
First, I followed the instructions for pre-scans to the letter.  Nothing was found.

Then, I ran Windows Repair twice under safe mode with network enabled.  Obviously, it found some things and fixed them but I am still having problems with windows update.  The updates fail and are reset after the computer restart.  I then get into a complete loop with the system trying to reload them on each shut down.

I have read through half of Mr. Softy's website trying their suggestions but have no luck with their solutions.

I am at the point of refreshing the Windows 7 installation to see if that will help but I am afraid I will have to do a complete reload of the OS.

Any further assistance would be appreciated.  It is supposed to rain on Saturday so that might be the day I sit in front of the computer and do my reload.

Thanx!!  I think it is really a great program.  It just does not address a problem that I see many people having.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: windows update repair works only partially
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 09:31:10 am »
Not knowing just what you have tried, have you tried resetting the Windows Update Components, the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT) or a sfc /scannow from a command prompt run as an admin ?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/971058

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/what-is-the-system-update-readiness-tool

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-run-system-file-checker-analyze-its-logs-in-windows-7-vista

If your Win 7 install disk includes SP1 then you could perform a repair install, unless you can uninstall SP1 as the install disk has to match the current version.

This will negate the need to start from scratch.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

It's also advised to back up your drivers to something like an USB Flash drive.

There are usually three folders and they can be found at C:\Windows\System32 and then you can drag & drop them back in after the repair.

EDIT- Have you tried the updates with your anti virus program disabled ?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 09:44:46 am by Boggin »

Offline pratomorone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 09:47:57 am »
Thank you, Boggin!  I have been fighting this for so long, I forget what I have and have not run.  So, I will do what you suggest in the order you suggest when I leave work today and finish tomorrow (probably).

Thanx again, will report back as to the outcome!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 10:05:36 am »
SURT is a 500MB download and can take a while to download and run, but you can view its report via C:\Windows\Logs - I can't remember if it is in the open there or bundled in the CBS folder, but double click on the Checksur one and that will open in Notepad.

Before you get into the heavy stuff, see if they will install with your anti virus program disabled.

In Windows Update/View update history, look for any failed updates.

Right click on them then select View Details and that will give the error code for that particular fail.

Offline pratomorone

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 01:41:02 pm »
well, I am making progress (BTW, I am just a bit down the continent from you in Italy).  Anyway, I have an error that seems to be associated with .Net 3.5 which is not installed on the computer according to Revo Uninstaller.  The actual message is "Windows Update Error 0x800F081F" followed by the current date and the note "not resolved".  However, when I go into the details of the run (reference: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/971058), it says resolved.

Searching for a fix for this, I find nothing that is really relevant to the problem.  Any suggestions?  I will try to run a few updates tonight and hope when I turn the computer on tomorrow, it does not tell me that everything was cancelled.

Thanx!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 03:20:16 pm »
For that error, MS suggests running SURT and if that doesn't fix it, then you would need to do a repair install.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/windows-update-error-800f081f

I haven't come across anything that relates to .NET Framework v3.5 for this update error code.

Do you have an URL link where this error relates to v3.5 ?

You won't find that .NET version in Programs and Features as it is part of Windows.

You can find it via Programs and Features/Turn Windows features on or off.

That reset Fix it may very well have done what it is supposed to do but that didn't turn out to be the problem.

Run SURT and see what that has to report, but if it can't, then you are back to either a clean install or a repair install.

That article has refreshed my memory in that the Checksur log is bundled within the CBS folder.

Offline pratomorone

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 08:37:20 am »
hello...I will go ahead and download and run SURT.  I have run sfc /scannow in the past.

as to the .Net 3.5 reference, it turns out that it concerns win 8 not 7.  I just read the headline in the search.  http://www.askvg.com/fix-0x800f0906-and-0x800f081f-error-messages-while-installing-net-framework-3-5-in-windows-8/

thanx

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 10:10:24 am »
I wasn't aware 3.5 wasn't default installed in Win 8/8.1 as it appears to be in Win 7.

Thanks for the link - something else I've learned :)

Offline pratomorone

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 02:08:02 pm »
well, the checksur log had no errors.  I guess I am stuck doing the repair install.

any idea how long it might take?  any guess would help to me decide when to do it.

thanx, you really have been a great help.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 02:23:11 pm »
I'm not sure if it could take a couple of hours ?

Have you tried Windows Update since SURT even though it didn't find anything ?

Did you check the update history for any failed updates then right click on them to View Details to see if that gives a different error code ?

Event Viewer may also have something recorded, but to get a recent recorded error, check it after retrying the updates if they are still not installing.

Offline kk159

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 05:49:00 pm »
Aha,

I have been having very similar issues on April 19, 2016, my OS is win7 x64 sp1

First I found my win update took forever to find any updates(it failed), after I cleaned some win update backups files, I got into an infinite configure windows 35% loop at login.  Couldn't get into my system.
All system restore failed.  Had to use DoS to recover.
Then I used Tweaking.com's repair to fix win update, afterwards it could find updates.

However, after successfully installing 30+ updates, I'm stucked with 4 failed updates:
1. An IE 11 update, but I have already got latest version, that's why it failed to update with error 9C48.  From the log, I see "A newer version of Internet Explorer is already installed on the system".  SURT and Windows Repair could not fix this problem.  I guess the only solution is to reinstall IE 11.
2. KB2574819 successfully installed, but it reverts back after each restart...  I ran SURT, after 3 hours, this problem was fixed.
3. The Feb 2016 security updates KB3126593 and KB3126587 failed with error code 80070490: error not found.  SURT didn't fix this problem, nor did Windows Repair.
Microsoft Fix It never fixed any of the above issues...

Offline pratomorone

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 08:56:49 am »
I'm not sure if it could take a couple of hours ?

Have you tried Windows Update since SURT even though it didn't find anything ?

Did you check the update history for any failed updates then right click on them to View Details to see if that gives a different error code ?

Event Viewer may also have something recorded, but to get a recent recorded error, check it after retrying the updates if they are still not installing.

hi again...

I have not tried update since SURT.  Thought it might be useless so I will try again.

all the failed updates have the same error code 80070005.

so, Saturday, I will do some updates to see if they fail.  if they do, I will run the repair install and report back sometime next week as to what happened with that after trying updates after that install.

thanx!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 09:18:22 am »
That is an Access Denied error and is to do with Permissions.

Run the Windows Repair program once or twice again to see if that will resolve that - it looks like SURT must have shifted something.

This is the MS Fix so running WR may be easier - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/968003
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 09:20:18 am by Boggin »

Offline pratomorone

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 09:32:21 am »
actually, this problem has been going on for at least six months, long before I ran SURL.

I will try to load updates this evening before I run (if necessary) WR on Saturday and before I run the repair install (if necessary).

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 12:59:25 pm »
That wasn't the original update error code you said you were getting.

When did it change to the Access Denied one ?

Offline pratomorone

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 01:06:29 pm »
The access code I sent today was from the updates (right click) that did not go.  The other code was from one of the MS programs you suggested I run.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 01:34:35 pm »
The Access Denied is different to what the Fix it to reset update components reported - I take it that was where 0x800f081F came from ?

Offline pratomorone

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2016, 08:09:11 am »
Yes, the first code I sent was from FixIt.  Your suggestion as to what my actions and in what order should be to tried to alleviate the problem?

thanx!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2016, 08:19:31 am »
As the Access Denied error code is a Permissions issue, run Windows Repair a couple of times in Safe Mode and then retry the updates.

Going back to your original error code and MS's solution to be either to run SURT and in the event of that not being able to fix, then a repair install is the next which may be the quickest solution.

Offline pratomorone

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2016, 08:23:50 am »
Since there were no indications that SURT found anything, if there is no difference in the Windows Updates that I will run overnight, I will run WR again and then, if necessary, run the repair update.

Rain is still forecast for tomorrow, Saturday, so I will have plenty of time.

Thanx!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2016, 08:39:29 am »
Good luck.

Offline pratomorone

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2016, 08:51:21 am »
thanx again

Offline pratomorone

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2016, 07:16:05 am »
Regretfully, even the repair installed failed.  It ran for some time with the bar moving indicating a download in progress of updates needed for the repair.  Then, after a few hours, it just stopped and sat there for a few hours more.  When I tried to exit out of the screen (CTRL-ALT-DEL), it took me to the main screen where I saw that there was 17 updates to install.  I let it try to install but, of course, it failed and reinstalled the older ones when the computer was restarted.

I have gotten another update to install KB3145739.  That, according to Bleepingcomputer.com should have corrected the problem.  Not so.

Unless you have another idea, Boggin, I will plan on spending this weekend doing a clean install.

BTW, I ran a deep cleaning to ensure that there were no worms, bugs, viruses, etc. before running the repair.  Nothing was found.

Thanx!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2016, 09:49:16 am »
It's been found that just manually installing KB3145739 on its own isn't enough.

You also have to install KB3138612 at the same time.

See if uninstalling KB3145739 - install KB3138612 and then 5739 will produce any better results.

Offline pratomorone

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2016, 09:57:53 am »
thanx!  However, I installed 8612 back on the fifth of March.  I installed 5739 after waiting for many hours, in fact, about 0200 this morning.  Too many days between?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 10:00:29 am by pratomorone »