Author Topic: (Solved) why win xp could not decode to actual pw, when win seven does show  (Read 37322 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Re: why win xp could not decode to actual pw, when win seven does show
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2016, 10:01:27 pm »
Hi, Yes boggin.
                    how could one enable the wireless settings. Even , the menu is not shown in network and sharing centre. i got in in search and saw that the wireless is not currently enabled .
My combo modem , is having adsl and wireless. Wireless settings are there in laptop with hardware.
My computer is only having ethernet card , the specification, Realtek 8139/810x fast ethernet card NIC, i do not know, whether this card supports wireless also or i need to have a special card for this purpose.
                             why network settings are not shown in adapter page. only lan connection is shown there. pl let me know whether this support wireless settings access. the laptop gets internet signal with the modem wireless connections.
                                  Or i am wrong in assuming that it will show in pc also
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2016, 12:55:38 am »
A lot of older desktop PCs didn't have a wireless NIC fitted so had to rely on LAN which is what your Realtek Fast Ethernet card is - it doesn't have any wireless capabilities.

You can tell what your computer has with this cmd -

netsh interface ipv4 show interfaces

This is what my Win 7 laptop looks like and probably your laptop as well -

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>netsh interface ipv4 show interfaces

Idx     Met         MTU          State                Name
---  ----------  ----------  ------------  ---------------------------
  1          50  4294967295  connected     Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1
 19          25        1492  connected     Wireless Network Connection
 12           5        1492  disconnected  Local Area Connection

C:\Windows\system32>

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 01:00:26 am by Boggin »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2016, 05:46:29 am »
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\intel>netsh interface ipv4 show interfaces

Idx     Met         MTU          State                Name
---  ----------  ----------  ------------  ---------------------------
  1          50  4294967295  connected     Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1
 11          20        1500  connected     Local Area Connection
 16          50        1500  disconnected  Bluetooth Network Connection

C:\Users\intel>
this is the information i have on windows 7 desktop computer. So it means that i have to buy a pendrive compatible adopter for my router to get the details of wireless. I will send  what xp laptop reveals.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2016, 06:03:50 am »
 Hi, if i execute the same command in xp laptop, i get the error that following command was not found
could not one connect  the computer having wired ethernet with wireless without wireless adopter

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2016, 08:47:24 am »
It's possible there could be functionality differences when you use the netsh cmd in XP.

Try it again but leave the ipv4 out.

Entering netsh at the cmd prompt will give you the various syntax, but you may have to enter it as netsh /?

You can share the Internet connection you are getting by using the wireless on the XP machine, but it will only give you LAN on a computer that doesn't have a Wireless NIC, so you will need a wireless dongle for the Win 7 machine.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-share-your-laptops-internet-access-with-ano.html

Do you not have SP1 installed in your Win 7 ?

If you note my top line of the cmd prompt, it shows as Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

The 1 on the end of .760 denotes SP1 is installed whereas if it's just .7600 like yours then it isn't, but go Start - right click on Computer and select Properties then at the top of the page underneath the Windows version, it should say Service Pack 1 - if it doesn't, then you don't have it.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2016, 10:13:08 pm »
hi, you mean as pen drive. if that is so, should i disable the present ethernet adapter. will the dongle ,or adapter include the ethernet also.
                    I am asking as i do not know about that . Regarding update sp one,i had formatted it by a tech, who just installed the operating system and disabled the updates.
                     Yes, i updated, when i was having the previous hard drive. everything was lost from it, as hdd failrure total

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2016, 12:39:55 am »
The wireless dongle is purely for wireless and you don't need to do anything with the Ethernet card.

If you don't want to use Ethernet then don't Ethernet connect, but it will be there for whenever you do need it.

I would suggest you turn on Windows Updates as they include security patches to stop exploits.

As you don't seemed to have installed any, then you could be looking at about 1GB worth of which some will be for Win 10.

The actual Win 10 upgrade one is in excess of 2GB.

If you do go ahead with Windows Updates, change the setting to Check for but let me choose... and when they are presented, just download a few at a time after clicking on each and then on the More info link in the right pane.

Unchecking the top box will deselect them all so that you just need to check the boxes for those you want then do the same for the Optional ones.

If you don't want Win 10 then you can right click on them and select Hide for those you don't want to install.

SP1 takes about 30 mins on its own so the rest will take a fair while to download and install as well.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2016, 12:48:40 am »
Hi, Boggins, when i tried to convert my retrieved xp hex to a converter, it converts it to text, but that is in machine language even in windows 7. The resultant is not characters and alpha, i used as pw, but it is funny characters having ?inside a box, squares of different size etc.etc.
                             Am i missing something, to get the pw string from these hex decimals
                             Regarding updating i will try to follow your methods.
                                   Is there any manual way of connecting to the wireless with this ethernet adaptor.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2016, 01:20:09 am »
No, Ethernet adapters are for Ethernet and Wireless adapters are for Wireless.

The password should be on the router if it's an ISP supplied one, but will be exactly the same for your wireless connection on the laptop.

On that machine, open Network and Sharing Center then click on the Wireless connection then on Wireless Properties and under the Security tab you will see a number of dots which represent the password which can be unhidden - you don't need to go trying to decrypt anything.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2016, 01:25:22 am »
Hi, Boggins. i saw it. How could it be unhidden. Please. Ofcourse, the wireless network password was entered at the time of configuring. How to access. The confirm password is greyed and the password has dots numbering 8.
                    Please how to do.
Then what is the advantage of having the wireless dongle in windows 7. No use? or has use?
The wireless password is being asked for the first time you try the connection.Please say whether it is useful to have a wireless dongle of dlink, of which co router i possess . dlink 2730u router
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 01:30:26 am by jraju »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2016, 01:42:40 am »
You check the box to Show characters.

I don't have a D-Link router any more but if you log into it, somewhere in the wireless details it should also have it, but you may have to hunt around the sections.

If you want wireless capability in a machine that doesn't have a wireless NIC fitted then you have to find some other means of installing it and a dongle is the usual route.

This has been a workaround for those where their wireless NIC has failed, but until you do have some form of wireless adapter installed then that machine will never connect wirelessly.

Previously you asked if an Ethernet adapter could also provide wireless, so I had a Google and found http://www.staples.com/NETGEAR-Universal-N600-Dual-Band-WiFi-to-Ethernet-Adapter-WNCE3001/product_369203 although I'm not sure if from the product details it would do what you want.

For that, I would make a note of the product name and contact Netgear to see just what it can do but as you already have Ethernet capability, then this device would be unnecessary.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2016, 01:47:07 am »
Hi, This check box is not present in xp

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2016, 01:54:42 am »
Then you will need to look in the router - but where did you get the key originally from to connect your XP machine to your SSID ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2016, 02:01:49 am »
HI, i already told that it in my previous reply. from isp thro router pages.
                   Probably i could have selected not to propgate ssid, so there is no show characters box. But , in accessing for the first time when i try internet connection thro laptop, it asked and i provided and forgot . that is the problem.
                     Only option seems to be possible , is to reset and again reconfigure the modem.
                    Thank you for wireless dongle idea, where if i use in windows 7 would provide me show characters. So, if pw is lost, you could access in your computer at home.
 But i will try to buy a dlink dongle which would pick up dlink routers signal.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2016, 02:10:46 am »
You will may still need the password to connect your XP machine to the SSID even though the computer will pick up the SSID - it's been a long time since I've factory reset a router, so can't remember that bit, although as long as you haven't removed the SSID from manage network connections it should still auto connect.

Are you unable to find it in the router and is the password not somewhere on the router if ISP supplied ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2016, 02:33:14 am »
Hi, boggin , you are correct to the point. i forgot both admin pw as well as wifi. The internet connection is not problem in setting, as it is safely set in router page.To be more secured, i just thought i could change the pw. I remember that i noted that in my note. The note disappered . The system has bad hdd and i had to change the hdd, where i had stored the passwords. It has gone and i had to replace a new hdd.So there is problem, when i was getting no connection of internet in laptop. It will not allow me, saying acquiring password and get me error not connected. So, i do not know how to workaround this problem. Resetting is one way. i tried to avoid that, as it has to be reconfigured .
                               There is a utility from nirsoft, which i used to get the hex decimal . But it was not giving for the active connection. But it supplied previous pws used in the laptop for years.
                               Then i used another software, which captured the hex for active and i thought of decrypting that. xp could not. But it was said that it could be used to connect. I was in dilemma to use it or not as i do not know present password.
                                I tried all sorts of tricks to retrieve, by copying the hex to win 7 machine and tried to decode. But it gives machine language and not characters.
                                 But now i have an idea from you and samson, to try dongle. If that gives wireless signal, the pc usually picks bluetooth and so will get the wifi signals. if it could be done, it may be possible to reset the router and reconfigure it , by noting the pws in notebook, not in computer alone, and if i lost, i could check show character. Well , i will try to do that .
                                   the lesson learnt, that my adapter does not support, wireless , as otherwise, it would have shown wireless icon in tray. wireless not currently enabled is the message that it is not established. Howsoever you may try , you will not get the wifi signal unless your computer has wifi supported adapter. the clue is, wireless dongle you suggested.
                                   Slowly i am learning the process of how to use available hardwares hidden so far . Now i could immediately set wireless connection with wifi adapter, as i have tried already without connection being established. If the error message is different, tha your adapter does not support wifi, when i click manage wireless settings, would be more apt , with the instructions that wireless could be connected with supported adapters would be meaningful instructions from microsoft.
                                     The experts there think that error message is not that much important, and hence , choose general words, like not currently enabled.
                                        Thanks ,i wil try to buy a compatible usb dlink wireless adapter
update: i have got the wireless work with resorting to System restore. I asked ask leo also to which he suggested nirsoft tool. If suppose, my sr is not success, how could i access. that was the stage, when i raised this question in the topic. ask leo does not suggest any remedy for ramdom cut in internet access and alert of pw . That is still the area of interest.i will  post the suitable question at app. time

« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 02:37:46 am by jraju »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2016, 02:52:54 am »
Log into your router and the password should be somewhere in the wireless security section where you opt for the versions of WPA/WPA2 - PSK with either AES or TKIP.

Is this the program you used - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_key.html

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2016, 03:02:43 am »
Yes, but it did not capture the active one.
               but i forgot the name  of the other software. i will try to give it in next post.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2016, 03:26:23 am »
That program only seems to give the encryption of the WPA-PSK and not the actual password.

I'm not sure if copy & pasting that key into the Calculator to convert Hex to Decimal would give you what you want but I think the best option is still to look for it in your router.

I forgot that I'm using an ISP supplied D-Link 3780 but the UI is quite different to the older D-Link 2680 I once used and this may also differ from your router's UI, but it should be in a similar area that I've suggested.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2016, 03:36:21 am »
Hi, i will try to buy dlink dwa131 as recommended  by dlink support , usb adapter wifi . But if you supply the words in onward hex converter to tex, it gives meaningless machine language.I will try this usb and try the connection

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2016, 03:50:41 am »
You will still need the wireless password to connect to your SSID.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2016, 03:59:25 am »
Hi, thanks. i could retrieve the wifi password . But , it was not until i switch on WPS in the router.
Hi, i tried the exact password, but could not get connected with error in connection first. But there is an alert that if ssid is not broadcasted, i could connect to with wps switch . I did . it connected now. Then i went to the wireless properties,to know the password. Since, it is not broadcasted, i could not access that. But, a strange thing, Now my LAN connection takes the name of the wifi, ple see and give solution.
                      I bought the usb wifi adapter for Rs830 and i could retrieve the password .Only windows 7 provide character suppor. Please give me some clue boggins. Where is Shane, Now he is not around to supply some techniques
                            Now, you may see the 4 connections . But lan takes the wifi ssid name. What did happen to the network connection.
One more thing. that password contains 14 but the star only 8. There is more to it than meets the eye
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 04:05:36 am by jraju »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2016, 04:33:26 am »
Not sure why it would do that but I've never had to use a wireless dongle.

In Network and Sharing Center, when you click on the LAN does it give you the same UI as the wireless dongle does ?

As you can see with my built in adapters, the LAN is using Network -

« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 04:35:41 am by Boggin »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2016, 04:36:41 am »
Don't know what went wrong with the attachments but here is the one for my LAN.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2016, 03:58:24 am »
Hi, Boggins, i resolved the issue.
                        It does not delete the name it assigned to the device that has been accessed. I accessed the device thro wps switch on the router.
                          I just went to Network and sharing , and then just click wireless settings, and uncheck to auto connect the device . As normal, the wireless get priority over lan.
                          I unchecked this option, which i set when i could not see that it is connected. It could have connected but without knowing the password, it would not allow.
                            i just created a wireless with my new adapter and named it and in the wireless settings properties uncheck the automatic connection, the first item .
                            Once i set manual , then went to network settings and renamed the homeuser group icon as network from the wifi ssid,  and then renamed it as network. Now, the tray icon changed to show network , as usual. Thanks boggins, for your tips.
                             The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports " the task you try.