Author Topic: Might you share you thoughts on repairing in normal mode as a last resort?  (Read 5696 times)

Offline bythehill

• View Profile
Hello,
firstly thanks for taking time out of your busy day to help out a person out of ideas on how to resolve this technical issue.

I haven't been able to boot into safe mood for about 5 weeks which has caused many issues that cannot be resolved until I can boot into it; for example, I haven't been able to install update KB3139940 since its release back on the 10th of March. When telling the computer to boot into safe mode, it ALWAYS stops at classpnp.sys and it stops thinking (the light stops flickering). I've tried sfc, chckdsk, manual windows update downloads and installations, windows restore, and even tried replacing classpnp.sys with my netbook's copy using Ubuntu.

So here I am grudgingly accepting that a fresh install of Windows 7 will have to be done unless someone on here says otherwise and thinks that maybe a repair in normal mode might help me finally boot into safe mood. Do you think that it is pointless or unadvisable even for my computer to try doing the repairs in normal mode?

I hope I've been clear and didn't ramble too much

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The only reason it's advised to run WR in Safe Mode is so that the antivirus program doesn't get in the way, so you could disable it and turn on Windows Firewall and do it in normal mode, but having Googled that classpnp.sys file - I don't think WR will be able to do anything with it.

There are a number links with what and what hasn't fixed it for some - one of them may do it for you, but you may be able to use msconfig under the Boot tab and check the Safe boot box to see if that will get you into Safe Mode.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=classpnp.sys