Author Topic: Repairing Pavilion dv6-1230us  (Read 18421 times)

Offline BumFuzzled

• View Profile
Repairing Pavilion dv6-1230us
« on: May 14, 2016, 03:21:37 pm »
  Kudos to you Shane for putting  your family first!  Business helps the family but the family needs the business too.

Your website was recommended to me thru somebody (a volunteer in the forum) on HP ... I questioned my 'helper' regarding which download to use, after he recommended the portable version.  He has not responded so I went with the Portable / Direct Download, no idea why ~ I know just enough about computers to get me into trouble ;)   Anyway, what I really want to know is, if I have done everything else right, which I doubt, how do I know this download is running / working? I have had no indicators at all on the screen; should there be ?  This volunteer on the HP site warned me that this repair might take  hours, but that's all he said.  I'm okay with that, I just want a clock of some sort or something to tell me where progress is.

PS ... I am running this repair on Windows Vista 64-something.  ...sorry.

Thanks in advance for your help.  Hope you and your family have a great weekend together    :smiley:
If you don't know, ASK!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Repairing Pavilion dv6-1230us
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 01:37:49 am »
I've never tried the portable version but have downloaded/installed on my two laptops and when you run it you will know it's running as you will be presented with its UI to work your way through the Options.

I have the Pro version on my other laptop (which is currently in for repair), but this is the free version I have on my secondary machine -

Offline BumFuzzled

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 01:49:43 pm »
Thanks for the input Boggin ... I did the suggested power down stuff, safe mode and ran the repair twice ... to no avail.  Still have the same problem.   Don't know what else to do.
If you don't know, ASK!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 05:19:10 am »
What is the problem that you have ?

Offline BumFuzzled

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 08:07:49 am »
Seems like something is wrong with the Administrator Settings ... we can log onto the computer just fine - type in the password and the screen is ok, all icons come up the right size and there appears to be no problem with the computer.  When we doubleclick the icon for Google Chrome, we get the Permission Box.  Click OK there, and the screen blinks out then comes back in what I have been calling Safe Mode, that just what it looks like to me.  Everything is supersized, icons and the Google image on the background.  I contacted MS about this and they gave what they thought was a fix; they told us when we get to this point to go the bottom left and click on the padlock; that then brings up our original screen for us to retype our password.  We do that and the screen resets - the screen we left just a second ago returns and is normal sized, icons and all.  It will stay this way until we exit the Chrome screen or sometimes it will spazz out on it's own.

I keep mentioning Google Chrome but I really don't think it has anything to do with Chrome.  I can manage just a few things on the computer and evidently this is NOT one of them.  I am afraid I have changed something and I have no idea where or what.  I have been in touch with HP and MS and nobody has been able to help.  I even tried Norton and they wouldn't touch it.  We just can't afford a new computer and there has GOT to be a simple fix for this!  If somebody could just SEE the screen, I know it could be fixed.

Thanks for asking.
If you don't know, ASK!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 09:53:04 am »
Do you have Chrome pinned to the taskbar ?

If you have then that only needs a single click to open it.

When you have Chrome open as it's supposed to be, right click on the icon in the taskbar then click on Pin this program to the taskbar.

See if you still get the same problem when just using the taskbar icon.

Offline BumFuzzled

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 12:29:06 pm »
ARRGGH -- no matter where I click, it all acts the same way.  I always get that same 'permission box' ~ am I even calling that the right thing ? Do you know what I'm referring to there ? 

I had a brain-storm and right clicked on the super-sized background and then clicked on INSPECT ... familiar with that ?  I am not.  It looks like there could be an answer in all this computer - lingo ... ??  I have lots of RED WRITING THAT SAYS FAILED TO LOAD RESOURCE : NET : : ERR_FAILED
SW registered

... I have what appears to be a description of my screen size ( in red ) padding top: 115px  .... img [Attributes Style] height: 92px;  width: 272px.

Like I said, this is all Greek to me.  It looks useful -- could it be ?  Please say yes !! 
If you don't know, ASK!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 03:16:34 pm »
Sorry - that doesn't look familiar at all to me.

What version of Windows are you using and have you tried creating a new admin account without a password to see if it's a Profile issue ?

Where are you getting these red lettered warnings ?

If they are on the screen, can you take a screen shot - paste that into Paint then attach that to your reply.

You can attach it by scrolling to below the reply box, click on Browse -  select your Pictures folder and click on the pic then on Open.

It will then appear at the bottom of your reply after you Post the message.

I've asked Julian to have a look at this for you.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 05:27:00 pm »
Forgot that you can use Problem Steps Recorder to show us what's going on.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/problem-steps-recorder.htm

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 10:44:20 pm »
hmmm chrome is asking for an escalation of privileges when you click on the icon?

try right clicking and opening the properties of the program and click on the compatibility tab and see if "run as administrator" is checked. If so the uncheck it and this should resolve the admin box for chrome.

next is check for malicious programs

https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

open this up and download it. this should help see if you have an infection on your computer or a rouge browser for that matter.

Julian

Offline BumFuzzled

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 03:38:55 pm »
In response, Boggin ... " What version of Windows are you using and have you tried creating a new admin account without a password to see if it's a Profile issue ? "... There is Windows Vista on this old machine ~ please don't run!

And your question about creating a new Admin account sounds like what I thought might be the issue ~ I think I might have tinkered in that area and somehow messed something up - but I can't find it now and I am afraid to change anything if I do find it  :rolleyes: 

The red text errors / not really warnings are when you right click on the google background and select the last item, INSPECT.  That brings up a whole mess of stuff I can't begin to decipher!  I am guessing it's all computer talk for the google screen set up ?   There is a section at the bottom for FAILED TO LOAD info - turns out it's webpages that didn't open up correctly.  I can see this better on my desktop screen - similar error messages - apparently no big deal.

Anyway. I will go now and try to understand what it is Julian suggests.

Thank you SO VERY much for your help! 
If you don't know, ASK!

Offline BumFuzzled

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 05:00:25 pm »
Julian ... YIKES !!  Unclicking the box for Chrome / Properties / Compatibilities didn't work ... that gave me a box that said 'GC is unresponsive. Relaunch now?'  Yes or No ... Yes makes the screen go black and come back supersized again ... no option takes google away and resets screen back to normal size.

I mentioned earlier that I keep referring to GC, but it's not just GC ... it's any icon on the screen that leads to www.?  ... whatever.  Anything other than a document.. you understand.  But I do believe it is an Administrator issue.  I know I changed something somewhere, I just don't remember where :(

I will go run the link you gave me now ...  Thanks in advance for your time and efforts.  Like I told 'boggin', if someone could SEE this supersized screen, I believe it would be instantly understood and fixable.  I don't know anyone around here to show it to.  And I can't get a screenshot of it ...
If you don't know, ASK!

Offline BumFuzzled

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 05:11:08 pm »
Okay, so I ran the AdwCleaner and I'm left with a bunch of stuff I don't know what to do with ... "uncheck what you want to keep" ???   I have no idea! :cry:  ... sorry to be so difficult.

If you don't know, ASK!

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 07:44:25 pm »
take a snap shot hit the windows key and pause break button then open paint and hit ctrl and V that should paste the screen shot save it then upload it to the forums via the attach: and hit post and I should be able to see what it says.
Julian

Offline BumFuzzled

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 08:19:38 pm »
 :shy:  i can't seem to make that work, julian.  it's late now - 1130 ... i'll give it a go tomorrow.  ~ stephanie
If you don't know, ASK!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2016, 01:59:40 am »
Have you tried using the PSR as I've previously suggested and upload the txt file as an attachment ?

If you can't get it to upload as a txt file then right click on the file - hover on Send to then select Compressed (zipped) folder which I've found easier to upload as an attachment.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/problem-steps-recorder.htm

Offline BumFuzzled

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2016, 07:27:24 am »
I can't do Anything with this AdwCleaner information ... I cannot copy/paste (into anything - notepad, paint, word), I can't do the windows button/pause-break, if I even understand you correctly (I am used to my desktop machine, this is my husband's laptop ... all these buttons are foreign to me) ... 

There is information on tabs -- SERVICES, FOLDERS, FILES, REGISTRY and CHROME

Don't know why this stuff happens to me -- I hit the average sized pothole and get stuck in it.

If you don't know, ASK!

Offline BumFuzzled

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2016, 08:03:50 am »
Boggin -- I can't use the PSR on the laptop -- it's running VISTA :(

What would be your opinion on upgrading this machine to Windows 10?  I asked this question to someone on the HP forum and he said it would be strongly recommended NOT to do.  I got the sense he was trying to say it would bog the machine down - I didn't expect to jump directly from Vista to Windows 10 -- I have sense enough to know it would be a better idea to go from Vista to Windows 7 to Windows 10, and let the system upgrade each step - even if it is a lengthy process.  This machine is like granny's car ~~ it's only used for church on Sunday's and even then it's only driven downhill, both ways !!  :cheesy:  Hardly any of the memory has been used, so there is plenty of space for upgrading.  Just a thought ..........................

If you don't know, ASK!

Offline BumFuzzled

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2016, 08:14:04 am »
Julian, something changed / worked .... when I click on the GC icon, the screen still goes dark, but now for only a second - when it comes back up, the google background is supersized - it will then blink and come back NORMAL !!  I don't have to go to the padlock and go thru the password routine now.  YAY!

I still have open the screen with all the AdwCleaner info that I am afraid to close or uncheck ... but otherwise that seems to have done some good  :)

Now, what do I do with that info ?
If you don't know, ASK!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 09:58:09 am »
AdwCleaner won't have deleted anything yet.

is it the Vista laptop we are trying to fix or the Desktop.

On my Toshiba Win 7 laptop I have to press FN+ALT+PRTSC together and sometimes a couple of times then go to Paint to see if the Paste button is active.

I'll then click on Paste - straighten the frame up and go File/SaveAS to save it with a name.

You can then use the Attachments as I've previously described to post the pic.

The programs that appear in the lower pane are programs that AdwCleaner considers to be adware, but can be legitimate programs that have been installed - does your husband recognise any of them ?

Just uncheck the boxes for any you want to keep, otherwise they will be included in the delete list when you click on Cleaning, but prior to doing that, click on the Report button to see what else it has found and when you close that to return to the UI - you would then click on Cleaning.

Post a screen shot of what else it finds as well and wait before hitting the Cleaning button, but anything it lists in the report, you can trust the program with to delete.

Some have gone straight from Vista to Win 10 without any problems - however, you would still need to run a compatibility test first should there be anything that is no longer supported for Win 10 - such as graphics drivers being the main thing.

While there isn't a free upgrade route from Vista to Win 10, MS reckon that if your machine can run Win 8.1 then it can run Win 10.

As you can't get the free upgrade then you won't be able to use its inbuilt compatibility check.

However, MS reckon that if your machine can run Win 8.1 then it can run Win 10, but another snag - the Win 8.1 Upgrade Assistant doesn't support Vista or XP so you have to use the checker for Win 8 in this article -

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/upgrade-assistant-download-online-faq

If you have any doubt as to whether your laptop will run Win 10 then I would contact HP support.

Offline BumFuzzled

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2016, 07:09:45 am »
can you use a notepad file ? it came up out of nowhere, just popped up on the (laptop) screen with all of the information in one box.

this laptop computer is completely whacky now.  while trying to click on this file, the screen kept blacking out and resizing - every time i moved the mouse the screen would change.  i finally got quicker than the screen and clicked on the file and then 'open' and managed to complete the task.  the screen has never acted that badly before.
If you don't know, ASK!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2016, 08:23:41 am »
That is AdwCleaner's Report - can you let me know what is in the lower pane after the Scan has completed ?

You can safely click on Cleaning for what it lists in its report, but it will also delete what was listed in the lower pane and take out programs you may want to keep.

It will list another report after Cleaning and the restart to show what it has deleted.

EDIT - You may have to reinstall Slimware's driver updater program, but that may have been responsible for some of those other items except Conduit which is a PuP and should be got rid of.

I used to have that driver updater program and SuperAntiSpyware used to snag adware that came with it, but that wasn't the reason I uninstalled driver updater.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 08:34:06 am by Boggin »

Offline BumFuzzled

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2016, 08:34:27 am »
Boggin,

No I cannot see the bottom left of the pane for some reason ... even on the other tabs, there is information off the screen I cannot get to.  Even double clicking the top bar does not resize the screen and there is nothing at the top besides the red X to close the window.

If you don't know, ASK!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2016, 08:53:34 am »
Okay then - close the report then click on Cleaning to see if improves matters.

Offline BumFuzzled

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2016, 09:15:01 am »
You know, mr boggin ;)  ... you may as well being speaking Greek to me with stuff like this ...

..." EDIT - You may have to reinstall Slimware's driver updater program, but that may have been responsible for some of those other items except Conduit which is a PuP and should be got rid of.

I used to have that driver updater program and SuperAntiSpyware used to snag adware that came with it, but that wasn't the reason I uninstalled driver updater.
[/quote]   " 

I am way out of my league on this website, and I know that.  You have been unbelievably kind and patient with me.  I surely appreciate it and hope you will stick with me to the end   :shy:

............. here goes.
If you don't know, ASK!