Author Topic: "Read Only"  (Read 9721 times)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
"Read Only"
« on: May 16, 2016, 11:44:17 am »
- I tried to modify the file called "file_list.txt" (with the MD4 hashes) but to no avail. (I want to change the startup states of a number of Services.) Everytime I try to edit/load that file I get a message the that file is "Read Only" and that I should close the program that is using that file. Yet, the main Windows Repair (WR) program and the system tray icon are not running/active. And the attribute "Read Only" for the file is also not active/turned on.

- Did the installation program of WR v3.90 not properly handle all those files ? Forgot to somehow properly end the installation procedure ?
- Or is the text editor to blame ?

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: "Read Only"
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 11:32:02 pm »
Huh let me test that .
Julian

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 05:19:36 am »
- Permission problem ? Does Windows Repair change the permissions to such a state that causes that "Read only" problem ?
- Would it matter under which account (e.g. Administrator) I am accessing those "read only" files ?

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 11:19:27 am »
What text editor are you using?
Julian

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 02:52:39 pm »
- Editpad Lite. Excellent editor for plain texts.
- The problem is that up tp now I never had any "read only" problems with that text editor before.

https://www.editpadlite.com/
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 02:54:10 pm by Willy2 »

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 12:13:32 pm »
You have no arguments on the icon like this?
editpadlite.exe /readonly
Julian

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 12:16:05 pm »
https://www.editpadpro.com/manual.html#readonly check out this link see if that helps.
Julian

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 09:17:11 am »
- It was a "Permission" problem. Previously when Windows Repair was run I was able to make changes in the %programfiles%   & %programfiles(x84)%  folders under the "User" account. But now it seems WR is setting the proper permissions for those 2 folders. Thanks to the new ManageACL program. I had to activate the "Administrator" account and then making changes was a piece of cake. Then EditpadLite didn't complain anymore.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 09:22:44 am »
Yeah manage ACL is awesome has most of the same commands as setacl lol. Used it to remove dead sids on my hdd took like a min im like woot!
Julian

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 03:52:12 pm »
- I need to provide more info. After a fresh re-install of Win 7 all files in %programfiles% (both 32 bit & 64 bit) were "read only". But after running Windows Repair those files weren't "read only" anymore. But starting in one of the last versions of WR the "read only attributes" of those folders weren't changed anymore for the "User" account. I don't know if that is the way it's supposed to be.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Re: "Read Only" + Animated GIFs
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 07:21:27 pm »
- More "read only" problems. In the default Win 7 image viewer animated *.gif files loose their animation. In the past I used the XP version of that viewer (=shimgvw.dll) and that brought that animation back to life. But now I am not able to replace the Win 7 version with the XP version. When I look at the permissions of that file then only "Trusted Installer" has "write" permissions for that file and it seems for all system files in the "C:\windows\system32" folder.

Is this normal that for these system files "Trusted Installer" is the only one that has "write" permissions ? Is this the way it's supposed to be ? is it Windows Repair that also limits those permissions for those "system32" files ?

- Does anyone know a program that allows me to view the animation in those animated *.gif files ? I tried Irfanview but sometimes the animation goes (way) too fast. Is there a better program around ?