Author Topic: tweak in Windows AIO Repair causes high pitched sound on device  (Read 12308 times)

Offline whiggs

• View Profile
So I am trying to think of the best way to describe the sound.  I am 95% sure that the sound is being produced by the hard drive for multiple reasons: 1) the sound kind of sounds like a very low volume "nail scraping across chalkboard" sound and 2) do to the way in which hard drives work (spindle moving along magnetized plate from which the spindle reads data).  I can completely imagine that this is the cause, and I am thinking that it is probably caused by (most likely) the tweak "Memory Tweaks - Cuts Down How Often Windows Accesses The Hard Drive" or (least likely) "Disable MFT Fragmentation".  The sound occurs about every 5-10 seconds, and persists for about 5 seconds before going away, and it does this until I restored the registry back to the backup I took just before I applied the tweaks.  One more key factor that should be considered here that will probably provide the "oh that's the problem right there."  My device doesn't use a standard hard drive, but a hybrid SSHD, basically "incorporate a significant amount of NAND flash memory into a hard disk drive (HDD), resulting in a single, integrated device." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_drive#Dual-drive_hybrid_systems).  Just wanted to make you aware of this issue, because the sound, as you can imagine, doesn't sound like its benefiting the hardware at all.  Quite the opposite.  Let me know what you think.  Also, since I do use a SSHD drive, I am constantly asking myself "should it be treated as a regular HD or an SSD?"  For example, defragmentation is needed and recommended for regular HDs, but is unnecessary and can damage SSDs.  How should I look at my drive in terms of its maintenance and upkeep?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: tweak in Windows AIO Repair causes high pitched sound on device
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 10:26:18 am »
The general advice is that you don't defrag hybrid HDs, but contact the SSHD's vendor for specific advice on yours

It's possible that WR is using parts of the disk that aren't normally accessed which could account for the scraping sound.

I don't know if a chkdsk /f would show up any defects but the trial version of HDSentinel could.

Hit the green button in http://www.hdsentinel.com/ then uninstall it when done to stop the clock on the 30 days trial period.

You can then reinstall its Application from your downloads folder as and when.

Is the HD still under warranty ?

Offline whiggs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 06:31:24 am »
The general advice is that you don't defrag hybrid HDs, but contact the SSHD's vendor for specific advice on yours

It's possible that WR is using parts of the disk that aren't normally accessed which could account for the scraping sound.

I don't know if a chkdsk /f would show up any defects but the trial version of HDSentinel could.

Hit the green button in http://www.hdsentinel.com/ then uninstall it when done to stop the clock on the 30 days trial period.

You can then reinstall its Application from your downloads folder as and when.

Is the HD still under warranty ?

Thank you for your reply and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  A lot going on right now.  Any way, the whole device in question is still under warranty, but I am not concerned with its performance.  As I stated in my original post, the issue quickly stopped occurring when I restored the registry to the snapshot I took just prior to applying the tweaks, which is why I was 100% positive that one of them had caused the issue.  Everything works fine now: no noise, performing as usual, and no errors or issues since.  This post was just a friendly heads up to developer/others in the same boat.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 08:29:48 am »
Okay, but I'd still see what HDSentinel has to report.

Could the scraping noise have come from the fan ?

Offline whiggs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 12:53:45 pm »
Okay, but I'd still see what HDSentinel has to report.

Could the scraping noise have come from the fan ?

Ok.  Turns out there might be a cause for concern.  Attached are snapshots of the short test, since long test is only in registered version.  Let me know what you think

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 04:13:15 pm »
HDSentinel reports 199 bad transfers on my older laptop but the HDD is fine according to a chkdsk /f - I won't run a chkdsk /r as data can be lost if it finds bad sectors, but you could see what a chkdsk /f reports for you.

While I don't know why it gives those yellow Power alerts, I have similar.

You could contact the vendor to see if it warrants a warranty return because of those bad transfers - I wouldn't expect to see them on a machine still under warranty.

Offline whiggs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 05:09:42 pm »
HDSentinel reports 199 bad transfers on my older laptop but the HDD is fine according to a chkdsk /f - I won't run a chkdsk /r as data can be lost if it finds bad sectors, but you could see what a chkdsk /f reports for you.

While I don't know why it gives those yellow Power alerts, I have similar.

You could contact the vendor to see if it warrants a warranty return because of those bad transfers - I wouldn't expect to see them on a machine still under warranty.

Agreed, and here is the strange part: I guess each "HD diagnostic" tool has its own way of measuring the device health, as I have tried HD scan, crystaldiskinfo, HGST drive fitness test, etc, and they all report my drives at different levels of health.  I have a 2 TB drive in my server which I thought was failing due to crystal disk info's flagging of the unreadable sector and current pending sector values which are non-0, but disk sentinel has it at the same level of health as this drive.  In all honesty, I don't know which product offers the most accurate results.  I don't trust any of them at this point.

Offline whiggs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 06:58:08 pm »
Hey.  I wanted to give you an update.  So I downloaded the seatools utility (considering my drive is Seagate), and ran the long test, low and behold: failure.  Needs to be sent in for service.  Thanks for the advice

Offline whiggs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 09:09:10 pm »
For those in the market for a new computer, do NOT go with an HP product,  Anyone who is posting on these forums I assume has a basic understanding of troubleshooting, which is more that can be said for hp help desk support.  Not only do they love wasting your time having you repeat steps you have already done just to fuck with you, they wanted to make me sit through another extended, 4 + hour long boot time hard drive diagnostic scan with the HP tool, when I had just gotten through performing a 6 hour scan using a tool developed by the actual manufacturer of the faulty device, which in my opinion, trumps whatever hp's shitty little tool says (which of coarse found nothing).  In order to get my device serviced like it needed to be, I actually had to re-create the issue that began this post and add that to the mix before they would finally accept my demand that they follow through with their warranty.  Word to the wise: HP is not the way to go unless you enjoy time wasted and being treated like an idiot or talking to idiots.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 12:42:10 am »
You aren't the first to complain about HP's after sales services and this has being going on for a while.

HP also went through a phase which hopefully they addressed, where their laptops suffered from premature motherboard failure - usually just outside of the warranty period.

What I will say in favour of HP though is that when I've been Googling for a repair to a particular problem, HP seem to have a pretty comprehensive online guide for most things with the steps clearly explained.

I bought both my Win 7 Toshiba laptops at PC World in the UK and took out a 5 year extended guarantee on each which over the 5 years have more or less paid for themselves - perhaps not a very good advert for Toshiba laptops that I've had to take both of them in over time for repairs, but I think I've ended up into pocket with perhaps what I would have paid for those individual repairs.

Extended Warranty if the shop offers it is something I think should be considered.

makinero

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 09:01:00 am »
54oC

Reduce the temperature of the disk (better cooling - fan or heat sink)

---------------------------------
RAW Error Rate
damaged, defective or incorrectly connected SATA cable
Change the cable to SATA 3 clip/clamp

Multiple threads may cause a "squeak coil"
Not necessarily in the disk but in the power supply, eg. Due to the variation of load power disk and power supply.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 09:04:06 am by makinero »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 09:23:44 am »
Opening up a computer other than to increase the RAM could void the warranty.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 11:27:09 pm »
Agreed with what boggin said dont open up the computer to service yourself. if you have a warranty the best option is to let that manufacturer service it.  And usually anything but pretty much upgrading the ram voids warranty.
Julian

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 11:27:56 pm »
Edit :When you open it up that it.
Julian

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 10:34:51 am »
For those in the market for a new computer, do NOT go with an HP product,  Anyone who is posting on these forums I assume has a basic understanding of troubleshooting, which is more that can be said for hp help desk support.  Not only do they love wasting your time having you repeat steps you have already done just to fuck with you, they wanted to make me sit through another extended, 4 + hour long boot time hard drive diagnostic scan with the HP tool, when I had just gotten through performing a 6 hour scan using a tool developed by the actual manufacturer of the faulty device, which in my opinion, trumps whatever hp's shitty little tool says (which of coarse found nothing).  In order to get my device serviced like it needed to be, I actually had to re-create the issue that began this post and add that to the mix before they would finally accept my demand that they follow through with their warranty.  Word to the wise: HP is not the way to go unless you enjoy time wasted and being treated like an idiot or talking to idiots.

Any update on this and did you get another HP or your money back ?