Author Topic: Tweaking.com  (Read 6710 times)

Offline waynerr

• View Profile
Tweaking.com
« on: May 17, 2016, 11:43:56 am »
Hello,

I am running Tweaking.com repair tool in the background, in my task bar. It has been running for some 24 hours. It is stuck on the first of 43 tasks. The CPU is somewhat active. It starts to be active, maybe. .5% to 1%. every five to ten seconds. I am afraid to stop the program for causing more problems.

I apologize for the lack of clarity and information. Please ask any questions I will answer them the best I can.

Thank you so much, I am getting nervous,

I apologize. I am running Bought and paid for Windows 8.1, upgraded to Win 10 by Microsoft.

started having trouble my system takes 30-45 min. to reboot. I ended up trying to refresh with my Windows 8.1 dick It claimed it could not do that because my C:\ disk is locked. Segate says my disk will not lock its self.

I do not know how I found your program and it sounds like it will do what I need. I hope you can help ?  Everything I have tried seems to cause things to get worse

I will answer your questions Please &Thank you for your support.

Wayne
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 03:49:27 pm by waynerr, Reason: More info and screenshot »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tweaking.com
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 10:10:17 am »
It shouldn't have been running that long on the first repair.

Stop it then use the Registry back up option to restore - if a date isn't in the box to select then use the dropdown.

Normally the program can hang when there is problems with the HDD - did you perform a chkdsk /f prior to running the repairs and note if any KBs in bad sectors were reported ?

BTW - There's new version of WR released - v3.9.0 which you may want to upgrade to.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 10:34:26 am by Boggin »

Offline waynerr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 09:37:34 pm »
Hi Shane,

I Thought dialing back on the register like this. All the recent Registers are non-existent, except the ones backed with your program. I had gotten to the point where my system would not even boot into safe mode.

I was stuck except I have a mirror image back up I made when I started having trouble. It works except the problem still exists. I can do most any thing I want except it takes 30-45 min every time I need to shut down, or restart.

I took a screen-shot of everything I could,, maybe you can see something. I saw in the logs there are problems.

I cannot think of anything else to try ???  Could you look and s :thinking if you can see anything ???

Thanks,

Wayne   :confused:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 01:47:01 am »
Are you using Norton for your AV program as that can create that user account you see in the Reparse Points.

I do and also have that user account on one of my Win 7 laptops.

I've contacted Symantec and they didn't have an answer in how to delete it - and I've tried without success when using the hidden admin account - I don't think it causes any adverse effects, so you can ignore it.

The ati Environment Variable - I assume you are using AMD graphics ?

Downloading your video drivers may resolve that.

Is this what you mean when you say your machine is locked - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/lock-unlock-pc

I'm not really sure if this will help - http://windowsreport.com/drive-windows-installed-locked/ but did this problem start after any of the Win 10 updates ?

You may have to unlock it before you can install the graphics drivers.

If you can get past those, see how your machine performs then, but Event Viewer may give some clue as to the delay in Startup and Shutdown.

You haven't said if you get the same problem in a clean boot.

In msconfig under the Startup tab click Disable all - Apply - OK then reboot.

If this improves the start up then you can add back programs until you get the slow start, but you don't really need any items in the Startup menu except your AV if it's under the Startup items - my Norton Security is listed under the Services tab.

Any programs you need will start when you double click on their icons - they don't need to be running in the background.

The only one I have is for my printer as I find it works better that way.

If still no improvement then you will need to click on the Services tab - check the box to Hide all Microsoft services (and this is a must) then click on Disable all - Apply - OK and restart.

If that causes an improvement then add back a few services at a time until the slow reoccurs.

Drivers can also be a problem with start up so ensure all of your drivers are up to date.

BTW - Shane is tied up with a move so it may be a while before he can get back to the forum.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 01:54:28 am by Boggin »

Offline waynerr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 02:35:35 am »
Hello,

I have not tried your suggestions yet. This is to tell you I believe the Lock up occurred because I DID go into msconfig services and by mistake disabled the services, including the MS services. I can understand how it would lock up. I just did not know how to recover from that.

I will now go to and try you suggestions. Thank you for your kind help.

You all are champs

Wayne

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 02:43:16 am »
In msconfig have you tried checking the Normal Startup button to see if that will reinstate them ?

If you can open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter rstrui.exe that may give you some restore points to revert with, but unless System Protection is enabled in Win 10 - which it isn't by default, then you won't have any.