Author Topic: Taking the plunge into windows 10....  (Read 7322 times)

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Taking the plunge into windows 10....
« on: May 19, 2016, 04:10:56 pm »
(Gulp) im doing a clean install with windows 10 im going to see how it feels to use this os. Wish me luck !  :tongue:
Julian

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Taking the plunge into windows 10....
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 04:32:44 pm »
Do you have the GWX icon so that you can use it to check your machine's compatibility and have you created an external system image first as a fall back.

One thing to do first if you haven't already done it is to set the computer so that it will check the DVD and USB drives first before the HDD, as F2 and F12 no longer work in Win 10 - probably because of the speed it boots up, although you can get it to do that from within Win 10 - but that won't help if you can't get in.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 05:57:04 pm »
I set it all up its running with the uefi boot on an ssd. all my programs and everything are stored on another hdd. I did a clean install not upgrade. runs fairly smooth in my honest opinion. 
Julian

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 12:28:57 am »
I bought a Win 10 Bible but when starting to read it, it really needs to be read when you have Win 10 to correlate what it is showing you - hopefully it will still be current if and when I buy a Win 10 machine in 2020 :)

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 02:42:49 pm »
So first thing I did was read this amazing post by parkd. http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,3596.0.html then I did all those steps and before I rebooted I reconfigured my uefi bios for uefi on boot for USB and sata controllers etc. Then followed the rest of the guide. For the install and activation and man no hic ups . only hic up I had was windows update failing to install the most recent driver for my graphics card it only allowed the one from windows 10 launch but that was easy going to nvidia for the driver. Some issues with getting out of sleep mode. Mainly login sceen has lag time appears frozen but it is not. Over all happy with windows 10. Will post more as I beat it to the ground stressing the registry and corrupting files causing problems to see real time fixing with out re installation Haha.
Julian