Author Topic: [SOLVED] ipconfig /flushdns issue  (Read 12763 times)

makinero

[SOLVED] ipconfig /flushdns issue
« on: May 25, 2016, 01:20:07 pm »
Sometimes I have problems downloading very slow downloads...
It helps:
Code: [Select]
ipconfig / flushdns
How to always set the automatic tasked ?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 02:28:15 am by makinero »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: ipconfig /flushdns issue
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 03:38:01 pm »
That doesn't sound like a DNS issue.

As it only happens sometimes, it could be because of busy servers at the website you are downloading from.

It could also be related to the time of day during peak periods when your SNRM could drop which will reduce your bandwidth.

Have you tried doing a speed test when this occurs or logging into your router to see what the SNRM is showing as ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 10:36:48 pm »
If you want that task repeatedly done, just save a bat file and add in the task scheduler. It should work. Preferably, the bat file may be stored in c: drive , to avoid permission issue. The method is create a task, taskname, trigger to your bat file with full path and arguments give the full path to the folder, just click advanced properties and choose repeat the task every minutes and close. I think it may work, instead of you go to command prompt to emply dns.
 I checked this command of yours and it worked . I just repeat in 5 minutes and checked and i could see a command prompt auto executing the task. You could also stop the task from running for some hours. I would prefer one hour to repeat considering your net activity.
                  N B: Just open the notepad as admin to avoid permission issue in saving the bat file
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 10:49:32 pm by jraju »
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 12:31:23 am »
Hi,
               Hope that the above solved your issue.
              Menu wise, start , all programs , accessories , system tools, task scheduler. and double click and select create task instead of create basic task. In the trigger tab, you click new and it will give the regular and advanced options. In the advanced option, you get repeat the task menu.
                 yesterday , i tried and it works for me , and i keep it one hour interval and maximum time to 8hrs.

makinero

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 09:24:40 am »
Batch script. . .

:loop
ipconfig /flushdns
sleep 60
goto loop

Offline TairikuOkami

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 11:01:19 am »
You could simply disable DNS Cache and then you would not even need to flush it.
Do not forget to setup DNS servers though, otherwise you will not connect at all.

To disable run CMD as admin and enter: sc config Dnscache start= disabled

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/tweaking_com_change_dns_servers.html

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 11:36:20 am »
Or....as a halfway house solution either use Tweaking.com simple system tweaker under "General tweaks", "Keep positive entries in DNS cache for 4 hours instead of 24 hours"  :wink: Or edit the registry as below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters

"MaxCache Ttl" 14400 (Decimal)

makinero

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 09:09:12 am »
You could simply disable DNS Cache and then you would not even need to flush it.
Do not forget to setup DNS servers though, otherwise you will not connect at all.

To disable run CMD as admin and enter: sc config Dnscache start= disabled

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/tweaking_com_change_dns_servers.html

OR

Or....as a halfway house solution either use Tweaking.com simple system tweaker under "General tweaks", "Keep positive entries in DNS cache for 4 hours instead of 24 hours"  :wink: Or edit the registry as below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters

"MaxCache Ttl" 14400 (Decimal)

Unfortunately, very bad solution, cause big problems with downloading files.

HTTP Error 416 Requested Range Not Satisfiable

I was looking for the cause of problems with downloading files, and also with resuming downloaded files, which also corrupt ext.part

I remembered that edited the settings in the system registry and typed the command to turn off DNS Cashe.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 09:14:48 am by makinero »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 10:57:08 am »
I have had "Keep positive entries in DNS cache for 4 hours instead of 24 hours"  set for many years and never had that error message, something else on your system maybe causing it, given all the other problems that you appear to encounter. The price you pay for being a "Power User" I guess  :rolleyes:

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 08:17:20 pm »
Hi, mak..
              By the subject type of your thread, i think it is time for you to repair the windows. I do not say , reinstalling , but repairing windows.
                  I have tried your suggestion of ipconfig/flsuhdns. I set it in my pc using task scheduler. I could just see it is working nicely.
                  Your task schedule is having bug, which cannot be corrected in any other manner than repair windows.
                       I have tried so much methods on corrupted task scheduler and none worked. I adopted new install. If the task schedule is at fault, then the system has strange entries in your registry.
                        There are programs in microsoft that repair registry, but i doubt, they do not move any injurious entries in the registry , leaving the problem not solved. but if you repair, those entries are killed and your computer is clean. Chkdsk sfc would not do much in such circumstances, as far as i know.

makinero

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 01:26:07 am »
Fortunately, I use a variety of tools to quickly repair the system without reinstallation.  :tongue:

So with debuglog, you can view and see what changes were made and try to fix it yourself

Hard Reset Browser(Restores all default settings) - solved the problem.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 02:30:14 am by makinero »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 07:03:34 am »
Please add solved to the subject to know that your problem solved by modifying the first post of yours. You only could do that. Users who has problem of this kind would see

makinero

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 07:17:09 am »
jraju - No.
The problem has not yet been fully resolved.
I sent Logs for developers..
I am waiting for an answer developer.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 01:44:48 am »
Your post related to ipconfig/flushdns automated task, it seems. It is also known from the above posts, that your problem has been solved by your own bat file, which you included. If a subject matter is resolved, it may be closed and other subjects may be raised as a separate post.