Author Topic: (solved) printer is shown as unknown device. or is it some other device?  (Read 22883 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Re: printer is shown as unknown device. or is it some other device?
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2016, 02:43:12 am »
Hi, The windows error message , that it is unknown device would prompt you for general fixes, without knowing that the device is at fault electronically, for eg, my printer memory contained in the board chip failed leading to this behaviour. It was explained to me by a tech guy.
                          So, either replacement of the boardchip with memory or replacement of printer is the only way out.
                          I opted for the second, as my printer is older and would no longer work that much efficiently.
                                  I want recommendation of inkjet printers having colour and black with refill possibilities. The tech guy also tried the same step.
                                  I even went one step further by going to event viewer , application and service logs, microsoft, windows, print services, and enabled the operational log. When i issue the command print, it just stores in spool as print job, nothing further .... Failure of hardware device part. This log creation is a new thing i tried. it gives you operational log for all the device and services in windows.
                                 You have to enable each or the logs for which you want , by going there and right clicking and select enable. These logs are disabled by default.
                                    Microsoft could not be showing hardware failure of internal failure , as devices are so much.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 02:45:27 am by jraju »
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
So have you just bought a new printer as the solution ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
I have asked for your recommendation of the inkjet and not thermal inkjet printer, where normal refill is possible, Pl see my earlier post , just before this post

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The only inkjet printer I have experience of is my All in One Epson Stylus SX425W which I bought in 2010 and is no longer on sale.

I think it was probably end of life when I bought it as during its install, it took you online for a patch to make it Win 7 compatible - but it is a good printer.

A Google for recommended inkjet printers will get you a number of links and then after reading their reviews, go to Amazon and look for the item(s) on there where you can read the Customers reviews.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=recommended+injet+printers

I use generic inks in my printer which I get from www.stinkyink.com but I think they only supply in the UK.

A Google from your locale for generic printer inks should produce a list of similar companies.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, Thanks.

Offline inletwolf

• View Profile
hello ther

i had the exact same problem, but with a dell computer wind 7 ult both 32b and 64 b. i went to the printers webpage and downloade the updated drivers, installed them and NO LUCK! so then i called the printer support, even tho my printer is 4-5 years old, support got right on the phone and enabled another port. took @ 5mins and all is well. it shows up on my network and prints from all laptops. but one precaution, if your printer is attached by usb cable to your master p/c, as is mine the p/c has to be turned on, not isgned onto just on. hope this helps..btw i have a canon mp990 xps printer, and i love it. i print alot of photos, as i am a photog wannabe
jean

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, Inlet, I have tried all the ports and the same error.
                 Do you mean , the find new hardware showing , existing port or other port? in the software section.
                     I do think that existing port is captured by the device, when it is plugged. Do you mean to change that port. Mine shows LPT1, in normal install wizard. Do you say that i have change this LPT 1 to another port in the drop down list.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I believe LPT are the default ports but the printer install wizard should designate what it would use, although trying each out won't hurt.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, Boggin, Lpt1, is meant for print ports. But how do we find  , which one is designed as printer port. There are 4 ports connected with computers and 4 others are included as separate. All ports are working. the port is the socket, where we connect the usb cable, is it correct.
                  How to know which is lpt1 port