Author Topic: update history gone on Windows 10  (Read 28802 times)

Offline hdrabkin

• View Profile
update history gone on Windows 10
« on: June 13, 2016, 07:27:47 pm »
After using Tweak.com on my Windows 10pro  desktop,  which restored Edge and a few windows 10 apps that had stopped working, I am still not able to open the Windows 10 store or some other apps that came with WIndows 10 (not all, just some).
However, during the tweak, my windows update history is now empty, and I fear the windows update may now  not be working at all, as I did not get notified for a June update that installed on my windows 10 laptop.
Should that have happened (the clearing of the update history)?

hjd

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: update history gone on Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 12:17:17 am »
Yes - the SoftwareDistribution folder is emptied as part of the update fix which removes the update history.

This is standard as part of a fix to resolve update problems.

Is the June update you haven't received, a normal update or part of the Insider Fast Ring ?

Did you run the Option 2 Pre-Scan to see if it found any problems with the Package, Reparse Points or Environment Variables ?

Can you open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter these commands -

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

This one can appear to hang at 20% but will complete.

Follow that with a sfc /scannow to see if any corruption remains.

Offline hdrabkin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 04:38:45 am »
Ok, good to know that the empty update history is to be expected.
I haven't had an update problem before using tweak, but was using to fix any permission problems which were blocking Edge (which was working fine a few weeks ago and then just suddenly stopped. When I lost Edge I lost the windows store app, along with several others. Tweak got back Edge and the apps that aren't part of Windows 10 (like my FB app). In addition it fixed a problem that came with Windows 10 upgrading from Windows 7, in which it suddenly made my Office 2016 programs require administrative privileges. MS support fiddled around with my computer (which is how I think a lot of permissions got changed), and just ended up checking "run as administrator" in the advanced section of properties/security for each. However, after Tweak this is no longer needed
Weather and News and Flipboard all work, and about three other games. But the calculator app, store, Cortana, and solitare still do not.
Did run Option 2 pre-scan and it reported it had fixed whatever it found.
I will run the suggested commands and report back later tonight. Thank you.

I did run all steps in order.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 08:51:34 am »
When it first happened pre-MS tech fiddling, it's unfortunate you first didn't try your restore points - if you had any and then you could have run Windows Repair for the other problems if the restore points resolved Edge.

Offline hdrabkin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 08:10:17 pm »
The EDGE problem occurs some time after the ms-tech was fiddling around to solve why Office 2016 needed run-as-administrator. The EDGE problem suddenly developed and while googling, I came across that EDGE problems may be caused by permission problems, and that Tweak could fix permissions problems. The fact that Tweak also fixed the run-as-administrator problem with Office 2016 was a bonus.
Anyways, here is what happened after running your suggested commands:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]
(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.10586.0

Image Version: 10.0.10586.0

[===========                20.0%                          ]
The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.10586.0

Image Version: 10.0.10586.0

[==========================100.0%==========================]

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.

I am attaching the two log files if they will help

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Offline hdrabkin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 08:42:12 pm »
Here is a follow-up: I was just notified that an update has been scheduled and will install on next reboot (Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3163018)), so the reason for the original post is now moot (assuming the update installs ok and doesn't break anything else

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 01:27:28 am »
After the update, run another sfc /scannow to see if it still reports problems.

DISM and CBS logs can be quite large and make difficult reading at the best of times.

To read a cut down version of the CBS log where it just shows what has and hasn't been repaired, enter this elevated cmd -

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will put an icon onto the desktop which when double clicked will open the CBS log in Notepad.

To get an even more concise report, run SFCFix.exe which can in some cases repair what a sfc /scannow can't.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sfcfix.html

This can only be run after a sfc /scannow as it needs something to work on.

Offline hdrabkin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 06:15:39 am »
Sorry it's taken a while to get back to  you. Had to focus last week on work related issues.
So, interesting
Ran the scannow as suggested. There were some different issues that were not there before the most recent window update
Specifically, in the CBS log of 6/17, I see lines that say:
Error - Overlap: Duplicate ownership for directory [l:23]"\??\C:\WINDOWS\bcastdvr" in component Microsoft-Media-Capture-Internal-BroadcastDVR, version 10.0.10586.420, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}
or
2016-06-17 21:17:17, Info                  CSI    00001326 [DIRSD OWNER WARNING] Directory [l:38 ml:39]"\??\C:\WINDOWS\System32\IME\shared\res" is not owned but specifies SDDL in component Microsoft-Windows-Desktop_Technologies-Text_Input_Services-IME-EAShared-IMEPad, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}
or
2016-06-17 21:17:18, Info                  CSI    0000134e [DIRSD OWNER WARNING] Directory [l:36 ml:37]"\??\C:\WINDOWS\System32\WDI\LogFiles" is not owned but specifies SDDL in component Microsoft-Windows-DiagnosticInfrastructure-Server, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}

2016-06-17 21:17:18, Info                  CSI    0000134f [DIRSD OWNER WARNING] Directory [l:27 ml:28]"\??\C:\WINDOWS\System32\WDI" is not owned but specifies SDDL in component Microsoft-Windows-DiagnosticInfrastructure-Server, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}

These types of errors were not in the 6/15 CBS.log created prior to the update!

Many like this. Interestingly, these are filtered out in sfcdetails.txt after running the command you suggested.

All of these "Duplicate ownership for directory" lines after the window update give me the feeling that an update was what started this whole mess  (the need to use Tweak to fix permissions,  etc.

When I ran the  SFCFix.exe , it give a log file of short length
AutoAnalysis::
SUMMARY: No corruptions were detected.
AutoAnalysis:: directive completed successfully.
Successfully processed all directives.
SFCFix version 3.0.0.0 by niemiro has completed.
Currently storing 0 datablocks.
Finish time: 2016-06-17 21:54:57.924

BUT while watching the screen in the background, I saw a typical DISM run that indicated that it could not find the files needed. These issues were not written to SFCFIX.text

I cannot use the command to give a filtered DISM; just gives an empty dismdetails.txt

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 09:13:24 am »
Willy2 posted about the opencl.dll error back in March and then it was down to the November Update - http://news.softpedia.com/news/microsoft-acknowledges-system-file-checker-issue-in-windows-10-version-1511-502258.shtml

I don't know if it is related to the dual ownership though.

I'll see if I can get Shane (very busy) or Julian to have a look at it for you.

If you decide to run the Permissions reset in WR, ensure you manually create a registry backup in the program before proceeding, as it hasn't been auto creating one like it's supposed to.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 04:02:33 pm »
MS has brought out this fix which may sort your problems - http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsofts_start_menu_troubleshooter.html

Offline hdrabkin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 06:09:43 pm »
Not sure what you mean by permissions reset in WR.
I was almost thinking of running Tweak again from the beginning since I saw that it fixed various permissions (which maybe the windows update changed again).
I will try the start menu fix and see if that helps.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 12:36:05 am »
It's difficult to know just what these updates are intended to do given MS's apparent underhandedness with Win 10 and if they require ownership of these files for their own purposes.

I think having seen how MS have forced Win 10 onto machines that their owners didn't want or the machines weren't up to it has led me to be quite cynical about MS.

Offline hdrabkin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 05:33:46 am »
Start menu fix found nothing wrong.
Anyway, sorry for previous too-little-caffine reply. I keep calling the program "Tweak" but of course it's WIndows Repair.  Just downloaded the WR update, and will re-run when I have a chunk of time later tonight. Before I did that, however, I noticed that WR has gone missing from my list in the system tray. *I* didn't remove it!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 09:57:07 am »
It's a pity that fix didn't work out - the extra bits it did seemed to fit your problem.

I think we all know what you mean by Tweak :)

Before running the repairs, ensure you manually create a registry back up should it not auto do so.

I haven't gotten around to reinstalling it on this machine yet following a factory reset, so don't know if 3.9.3 auto creates one now.

My system tray icon occasionally goes missing but returns and stays after opening the program but not necessarily running it.

Offline hdrabkin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 02:27:17 pm »
So I ran wr twice in a row. Outcome:
issues with WMP no longer playing video files (but could play music), which started after the Microsoft windows update of June:
Fixed

Weather app broken: fixed.
News app semi-broken (would load certain modules like local news and videos, but not current new): worse; now app just loads a screen with news icon; the live tile still works
Calendar app: now broken
Store, photos, groove, still broken.
Calculator (broken after windows update); still broken.
Xbox solitare: still broken

I could see the background terminal window while WR ran still having issues with store (couldn't restore files ; files not found, etc.).

At least all non-windows related things (like my MS office 2016), non-ms programs (Corel photopaint shop, quickent, etc,) all still work.
SO I guess I wait for the "anniversary update" and see what happens.
Makes me want to take out my windows 7 install disc and reformat my drive back to windows 7

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 04:21:27 pm »
Hopefully that will sort things out, but subsequent Win 10 updates seem to have the knack of causing problems for some.

Given what you have done and if the anniversary one doesn't do it, you may have to reset but this would entail you having to reinstall every thing of your own since the upgrade.

Offline hdrabkin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 04:28:56 pm »
I was tempted to do that for some time, but not sure if it would remove all of my installed programs (ie, not associated with the OS upgrade) , or just the installed windows apps.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2016, 12:45:14 am »
Well this is how to Refresh but also gives you the option to go back to an earlier build (Option 2) which may suit your needs better. - http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4090-refresh-windows-10-a.html

However, as the next build is already there, that may auto install and you'll be back where you started, if I understand that correctly.

From what I understand, while a Refresh keeping your settings etc. apparently puts your apps into a desktop folder to retrieve, it also creates a Windows.old folder where you can copy a lot back, so that could be a win win solution but create a system image first as a fall back.

http://www.howtogeek.com/130558/how-to-restore-your-files-from-the-windows.old-folder-after-upgrading/

The articles are there for you to read but my Win 10 help is reliant on what I can read, rather than from personal experience as not using it.

Offline hdrabkin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 07:35:05 pm »
Another note: tonight, the news app has suddenly started working. I was greeted with an option from MSN news to select my interests. I immediately proceeded to the general news, which now works. Access to the other parts of the app are now ok.
I did nothing different. Store, Cortana, etc. still no go
I give up!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 12:06:26 am »
I'll ask Julian to have a look at this for you.

He's stuck Win 10 on a machine to see what's going on with it - I'm hoping I can get a spare Win 7 laptop repaired to stick it on for myself.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 11:30:04 am »
Hmm have you tried a restore on apps. Via windows recover in the settings app? Or is that not an option? The reason why I ask is because im not sure which version of window 10 you are using because there is an app command but Shane has it disabled on versions before the 318 if you can open up windows repair and it should show your version of windows 10 let me know.
Julian

Offline hdrabkin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2016, 05:31:11 pm »
I see that I have had a MS Silverlight (KB3162593 update installed on 6/25/2016. Hmm, shouldn't that have showed up in the action center notices?

I should also say that the sudden proper working of the News App seems to have had a cost: cannot open search. Related? Who knows.
I have been removing some programs that I no longer need (NOT apps; real desktop programs), but I would not think these would have any effect (programs such as Photomzer PRO, etc.).

According to "About" in settings/system, this is
WIndows 10 PRO, Version 1511, Built 10586.420

I am putting off trying to do a reset until I see what the anniversary update does for me. I am just amazed that these things seem to change at will (if the Silverlight update on 6/25 had anything to do with news app coming back, it waiting 4 days to do so.
FWIW, I do shut down the machine each day before leaving the house, so this gets rebooted once a day.

Offline hdrabkin

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2016, 10:32:07 am »
New: Start menu response slow since Silverlight update. Found article on changing delay in registry. Changed from 400 to 200. restart.
Start menu fast AND windows search tool now works. Connection between start menu response and search box? ????

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2016, 11:58:27 am »
Did that registry change have anything to do with Indexing options ?

To speed up the search, in Indexing options click on Advanced - Rebuild - OK - but this can take some time.

Offline hdrabkin

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2016, 07:38:26 am »
No, it was for adjusting the time that it takes the start menu to actually open after clicking on it. Was set to 400, I changed it to 200.
The problem with the search is that it would not open. If you clicked the icon, nothing happened. If you changed it to a text box, you could not type anything in; was greyed out. IT was like this after several reboots.
However, after  the reboot after changing the start menu delay, search was back to normal.
This all reminds me of a program that I use at work; java based. During it's development, the programmer would fix one item and the fix would break something that you would not have thought had anything to do with what he had fixed.