Author Topic: (Solved)sudden display incorrect desktop  (Read 22019 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
(Solved)sudden display incorrect desktop
« on: July 08, 2016, 10:38:49 am »
Hi, My son was  using the computer , when suddenly desktop changes to a kind of big icons display and weird slope in windows explorer as well as browser. When i click any thing the close red x does not display at th top right, instead the browser display to 80 percent of screen leaving some gap in the top. Moreover the  tray icon bar has some what become bigger in size.
              what is the problem and give the cure immediately pl
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 07:39:55 pm by jraju »
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Re: sudden display incorrect desktop
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 11:03:14 am »
Check and adjust the screen resolution. Right click on the desktop, select "properties" then "settings" adjust the resolution then "apply" followed by "OK" (XP, but probably similar for Win 7  :wink:)

Here you go, for Win 7....http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/255-screen-resolution-display-settings.html
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 12:45:28 pm by Samson, Reason: Added W7 link »

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 12:26:15 pm »
If Samson's suggestion doesn't solve the problem, I'd use the most recent restore point to get back to a point when things were  working satisfactorily.
Iain

ThinkPad T450s W10 Pro x64
Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium
Macrium Reflect 7 Home, Tweaking WRAIO Pro

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 03:39:08 pm »
Have you checked to see what the message in Action Center says ?

I don't know if XP has Reliability history but Win 7 does and can be accessed by starting to type that at Start and press enter when View reliability history is highlighted.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 07:23:20 pm »
Hi, boggin
                      I have seen and clicked . There were some red spot. But that does not suggest anything connected with the monitor.
                      I learnt and did the reset try and degaussed the monitor. But the problem still persists. Everything colour and all are ok. But when i click the explorer or browser, it does not occupy the full space of monitor.
                       I also noticed that when Starting Windows screen is appearing, it appears to the right of the centre point of monitor , which is unusual. Is there a fix. how did it happen , i do not know.
                        Even after resetting the monitor, my monitor has a reset and if i select, it asks for ok or cancel and if i press the button ok, Done is the message i got. so, i had reset the monitor.
                           Degaussing is also shown as a option and if i select it and press the button, there was some distortion in the video and then it shows correctly. Probably the deguass is done correctly.
                            But still the problem persists. how to know it is hardware or software problem and how to fix it

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 12:50:07 am »
I don't think this is because of magnetic fields in the monitor but what is being output to it.

Are the icons that are displayed on the right of the screen what you would normally see on your desktop before opening Windows Explorer ?

I'm not sure if booting into Safe Mode, right clicking on the desktop and in XP, selecting Properties then Settings so that you could either reset the display or troubleshoot the monitor would resolve.

If the screen displays correctly in this mode then I would advise downloading graphics drivers.

I've only had laptops so no experience of monitor problems.

XP's equivalent of reliability history is Performance Monitor and may have recorded a change to your system and is accessed via Control Panel/Administration and looks like - http://ishamsaid.tumblr.com/post/49022996877/reliability-monitor-of-windows

While this is more for defaulting the magnification, does pressing CTRL+0 do anything ?

Just for interest, what was Action Center alerting you to ?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 01:12:24 am by Boggin »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 06:26:57 am »
Hi, Is it control zero or control O letter.
               I see the icons alright on both sides of desktop.
              But the screen appears to be stretched, as if some body pulls from both left and right.
               the default screen resolution is ok,
                 I have downloaded the latest graphics driver for my computer.
                  Any other clue, like, a hardware parts inside the monitor would have gone...and must be replaced.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 07:55:42 am »
It's CTRL+Zero

Another one to try but is probably too late now and that is CTRL+z

That is an undo command, but hitting them a few times may take it back far enough to produce some sort of change although having booted up into Safe Mode may have undone any sequence of events.

Does Performance Monitor record any changes to your system ?

How did it display in Safe Mode ?

I don't think it will be an infection but a scan in Safe Mode wouldn't hurt - it depends what your son was doing on the machine when this occurred.

This is your XP machine isn't it ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 10:52:55 pm »
It is win7 system that i have.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 01:23:06 am »
In that case, go Start - start to type reliability then press enter when View reliability history is highlighted and see if that has anything snagged.

You haven't said what it displays like in Safe Mode.

If it displays okay in that mode and an antimalware scan comes back clean, ask your son if he had downloaded anything and check msconfig's Startup items and non-MS services.

You may be able to see if anything new has been installed by checking Programs and Features.

Have you tried your restore points to before your son was using the computer - his being on it when this happened may just be coincidental, but ask if he had pressed any combination of keys when this occurred - sometimes you can lean on a group of keys or use the CTRL key instead of Shift.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 03:54:43 am »
Please see the two images.
                  One thing, when i adjusted the screen resolution to 124x768, the icons are set to left of the screen as in safe mode. That is the only improvement. But the screen appears to be stretched and a )    ( shape found in explorer in any browsing of explorer.Vertially, it shows as if there is a inner bend in the pictures shown. Moire settings V is 20 and H is 0, what i set . By default it is 0 and 0 when reset is done
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 03:56:18 am by jraju »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 05:49:05 am »
Yes, icons do display different in Safe Mode, but that would seem to be an improvement for normal mode as you have previously shown.

From your pic a bend isn't apparent so it is still difficult to envisage how it is displaying.

While this table is dated Feb. 2014, does the 1024x768 apply to the size of monitor you are using ?

http://www.rapidtables.com/web/dev/screen-resolution-statistics.htm

With external monitors, the cable can be suspect and perhaps disconnecting and reconnecting it may produce another change.

I don't know how much monitor cables cost and whether buying another would be a waste of money in this case.

Do you know anyone who you could borrow one from just for elimination purposes ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 02:03:02 am »
Hi, I think , the monitor is behaving differently now. It adjusted itself to 800x600 and i could view the tray icons all. But the browser is still giving problem. My usual screen resolution , i set is 1024X768 and even if i change the resolution, it stays at 800x600 but showing 1024x768 as if changed.
                     Occasionally, there is a kind of screen going out and along with the desktop, there are horizontal lines flickering sometimes and then adjust to display.
I think that some minor parts need replacement in monitor.
                         I have used it for more than 12 years without any problem. Once it was repaired and i do not have any problem so far.
                         Can i replace the monitor , like samsung led  to any size to use with my present computer.
                           I do not have any idea , how the connection is established in LED monitor. In crt, there is a different type of connection to the computer at the back. Is it the same or will it be provided with usb, and a power cable to connect the LED monitor.
                            i have replaced the old crt based Tv with samsung LED and it is weight less as compared to the previous model.
                              Will any size be bought as it is only a monitor, compatible with any hardware or OS. Please let me know.
           N:B:  i now find that when computer boots, it took auto graphic resolution of 800x600 and the letters are shown as big somewhat. Moreover, while booting , the Starting Windows, appears not at the centre of screeen but to the right of it.
What is this behaviour?. How it takes 800x600 while booting automatically. Is there any thing , that the computer changes itself the resolutions?
              I want your take on the LED, which is costing around 7000 Rupess in indian currency.
                CRT tv and computer monitor is emitting some rays always, it seems. But when there was no LED invention, this is widely used like older tv having hefty tv monitor.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 02:36:42 am »
800x600 is VGA resolution so not sure if the problem could be your GPU.

Does removing your GPU make any difference with the boot ?

You could try cleaning the pins on the GPU to see if that makes any difference.

Can't help you with the monitor choice, I would suggest you get advice from a computer shop on those.

What is Action Center alerting you to ?

« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 02:39:39 am by Boggin »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2016, 02:56:15 am »
Hi,
Does removing your GPU make any difference with the boot ?
How to test by removing GPU. You mean the connection of monitor at the computer back , with a different plug, having pinned surface and tightening screws.
                    I will check. Do you mean that it has to be disconnected and the monitor is power on? and check for the image.
                     Today, when i browse the net , i came to understand that there are different alignments when a computer boots, it auto adjust or changes the resolution according to internal data.
                      It is a new thing to me to know that computer monitor would auto changes the resolution. Do you know anything about it. I do not know what other adjustments have to be made to txh from e monitor settings if it autochanges the resolution (My computer now has 800x600 instead of 1024x768.
                   Should i change anything in BIos

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2016, 03:03:21 am »
What I meant was to switch the machine off then take out the graphics card then boot up but give the pins a clean while you have it out.

800x600 is the resolution you get when in Safe Mode when it uses the VGA instead of your GPU, which is why everything looks bigger.

Do you have any alerts next to the Display adapter in Device Manager - and you still haven't answered what Action Center is alerting you to.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 03:07:23 am »
Hi, Action centre is alerting about updates.
           It also says that solution to some of the unsolved problems. If i click that it takes preparing to load and then ......
                What is that to do with action centre? boggin? Is there any connection?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2016, 03:11:56 am »
Action Center alerts you to any problems on your machine, but it was strange that reliability history doesn't have anything snagged - does Event Viewer have anything recorded ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2016, 06:31:36 am »
Hi, I checked the bios, and in the primary video control, this is set to AGP and there is one more in the menu PCI. Should i change to PCI from AGP.
                  Moreover, when i tried to change the refresh rate , there were nothing to select . Instead , Use hardware default settings is the only available menu. Now the screen, becomes small and white horizontal lines are forming . I think i may be able to post this

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 06:34:27 am »
Hi, please see

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2016, 08:37:13 am »
It depends on whether you are using an AGP or a PCI slot.

These are some pics of the types you can get to determine what yours is plugged into.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=agp+or+pci&newwindow=1&biw=1366&bih=650&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiO-rrrnO7NAhWH7hoKHegRCL8QsAQIOA

The text in your pic looks to be about the correct size so I don't think it's the Zoom setting but in IE, click on Tools and check to see what Zoom is set to - it should be 100%.

In the dropdown does it give you anything else other than for Standard VGA Monitor ?

I'm really working blind when it comes to desktops and monitors having only laptops.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2016, 09:55:23 pm »
hi, boggins, i replaced the crt with led samsung monitor. After posting the reply, sudden heat smell from monitor and i shut down immediately. I did not risk any more . I just surfed thro and bought a led monitor by samsung model no s22f380hy, a night view mode monitor.
                           the resolution it support s 1920x1080p, but my system only shows maximum at 1284x1024p. What should i do? Moreover, in advance monitoring system, i do not have any hertz resolution. Instead use hardware default settings item. i remember that it was there some time back. how did it vanish i do not know.
                                How to workaround this. My monitor new is working, but as it is a 22 inch diagonal , the screen is big, but the fonts appears to be dim and dull . Why it is so?. The price is 7700 indian rupees

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2016, 10:35:47 pm »
Hi, fourm tweaking.com occupies full space of this monitor. But firefox's google search pages occupy only half of the screen. what is the reason and how to make it full screen. I am in full screen mode in firefox

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2016, 01:14:20 am »
The 1284x1024 may be the limitations of your card, but are there any more in depth settings like you get with most GPU cards ?

With AMD you can open the CCC.

I have AMD on this laptop, but it is pretty well pre-set although there are some settings I can fiddle with.

Found this article which may help or point you in the right direction - not sure about the dimness though.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1653204/1600x1200-max-resolution-1920x1080-monitor.html

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2016, 04:34:37 am »
Hi, I am not having AMD, but intel. mother board.
          In older days graphics card is integrated with mother board, i suppose,
Can i use the ccc link with my card and do the things. Moreover, when i visited amd site,There was no menu like that given in the 2nd post of your given link.
                 Whenever i tried a download link, it asks for1924x1080 mp4 format.
                 Boggin, one more question: there is no hertz mentioned in the advanced monitor menu, instead i am having use hardware default setting is the only option .I remember , i saw it , a week before in the same setting. what would have made this to vanish