Author Topic: WR AIO 3.9.4 will not run in Safe Mode  (Read 7332 times)

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
WR AIO 3.9.4 will not run in Safe Mode
« on: July 12, 2016, 10:23:36 pm »
Went to help an (more) elderly friend yesterday who couldn't get her computer to fire up. Turned out to be a simple hardware fault which I fixed in a few minutes but I took the oppotunity to install the latest version of WR AIO and tried to run the basic prechecks fom Safe Mode but the program wouldn't run - Task Manager showed the .exe process running but no dusplay screen. So ran the program from normal bootup without problems and repaired some reparse points and ran chk dsk and subsequent repairs on reboot, also without difficulty.

The computer is a self build from an unknown source running Windows 7 32 bit. I didn't have time to investigate further but any idea why WR might fail to run in Safe Mode but runs perfectly well on normal boot?

Since discovering WR AIO, I tend to install it on the computers of my non techy friends and set up the Registry Backup component to perform regular backups so that I stand a good chance of being able to help them get going after a mishap - but tjis is the first time I've not been able to run the progrsm from Safe Mode.
Iain

ThinkPad T450s W10 Pro x64
Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium
Macrium Reflect 7 Home, Tweaking WRAIO Pro

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: WR AIO 3.9.4 will not run in Safe Mode
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 02:08:59 pm »
Did you use the program to select Safe Mode or boot up into Safe Mode first and can any other programs run in that mode ?

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 03:44:41 pm »
Yes, used the program to boot into Safe Mode - to be honest, I don't think I tried to run anything else in Safe Mode apart from Task Manager which was fine. I won't see that pc again for a few weeks unless I get another call for help but I'll run a few tests next time and see if I can give a better report on what will and will not run. Thanks for your interest, Boggin.
Iain

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 03:57:27 pm »
Being able to run programs in normal mode but not in Safe Mode is a bit arse about face as it's usually something on the computer that is isolated in Safe Mode that allows them to run in Safe Mode.

When you next get to it, try it again and if it still fails to run even after a reinstall or if other programs fail, see if Event Viewer has anything recorded.

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 12:20:46 am »
Thanks, Boggin - yes, seemed a bit arse backwards to me too. I'm in no way a computer expert although I did eek out a living in the UK before I retired over here, mainly giving support to people who were pretty clueless with IT and helping them make sense of it all. Over here, I'm the one-eyed man in the kingdom of the blind so still help people where I can - good for the aging grey cells, as is trying unsuccessfully to speak decent French.......

As it was a bit of a panic callout from a friend and I didn't have time to be as rigorous as I would have liked, I didn't check event viewer and all that. I'll do that the next time I call over - the lady's a widow living in an old mill in the back of beyond here in France, doesn't speak much French, and the computer's an important lifeline for her. I only raised the issue here because I've had the odd problem with the last couple of releases of WR (and posted them here) and just wondered if anybody else had had this particular problem. Shane seems to have his head well down at the moment, presumably on the next big update, so I'm not expecting anything much in the way of a response yet from him. I hope all's well there, as he's been VERY quiet of late on the forums.
Iain

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 01:20:24 am »
It's not just the big update, but he's had another move and all that entailed as well as a lot of work coming in from his computer business.

It can be frustrating when my emails to him go unanswered and Julian is recovering from surgery - hope he's well soon.

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 02:13:25 am »
Didn't know they were both out of the loop - I wish them both well.
Iain