Author Topic: WR screws up HyperV after a file permissions reset on windows 8.1/10  (Read 6629 times)

Offline FredAxe

• View Profile
We were forced by our security-team to set some file permissions domain-wide.
This went horribly wrong. Most domain computers had problems after the file permissions were set by GPO.
And since we have more then 100 machines, this doesn't make you very happy  :sad:
So we were glad when we found WR that can reset file permissions to default.
For most of the computers this worked. But some of them have HyperV installed and have local VM's.
Before WR run they still could start their local VM's. After WR did a reset on the file permissions they could not start their local VM's anymore.
Instead they got a vague error : An error occurred while attempting to start the selected virtual machine.
I made a new VM....same problem. Starting a VM on a remote computer....no problem
When I reinstall HyperV, I still have the same problem.
Does anyone have a clue how to fix this?
Bytheway we used WR  V3.9.4

Kind regards,
Fred Balster
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 03:01:21 pm by FredAxe »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: WR screws up HyperV after a file permissions reset on windows 8.1/10
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 03:24:09 pm »
I don't know why it has that effect on HyperV and I haven't been able to get hold of Shane lately to look at other threads.

All I can suggest is to open Windows Repair, go to Option 5 and use the registry restore - disable HyperV, run WR again to reset the Permissions then set up HyperV again.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 12:35:30 pm »
Did you run just the registry repair if so then its a specific key that is the issue. Or did you run the file permission repair than its just a folder permission. Or it can be both. What we can do is find out which registry key or folder that does not like its permissions changed. To be ignored by windows repair so it does not modify that. To investigate further we need to know what kind of vm machine you have as well as a snap shot of the error. Thanks,
Julian
Julian

Offline FredAxe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 02:04:49 am »
Fixed it!

It appears that the virtual machine file permissions had dissappeared.
If I apply them again my virtual machine runs again.
Read how to repair it on microsoft : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2249906
It would be nice if a future version of windows repair recognizes that hyperv is installed and then sets the correct file permissions for the local VM's
I'm glad that I can now repair it by hand after WR has run.
Another option: Move the vm's to a safe place (a HD where you not run WR to put file permissions to Default) and then run WR.
But that can be very time consuming and sometimes you do not have enough space to move the vm's.

It's an issue with the current file permission reset in WR, but I have a solution now. For me this case is closed.

Bye,
Fred

Ps.: Found a powershell script that should do the trick: http://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/free-script-fixing-hyper-v-folder-security/.
I didn't try it myself, so use at your own risk  :smiley:. Maybe this script can help shane to fix this issue.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 03:17:21 am by FredAxe »