Author Topic: Windows 8 loops to repair at startup  (Read 6444 times)

Offline zbud

• View Profile
Windows 8 loops to repair at startup
« on: August 28, 2016, 08:09:46 am »
completed tweaking and upon restart wont boot past repair screen.  tried reset, tried safe mode, tried system restore, and even though I set a restore point, none was listed.

not sure step 29 correctly completed. ran for a long time and I saw no instance of CPU activity for a while so ended that process

any help appreciated
ver 3.9.9

Bud

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 8 loops to repair at startup
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 10:19:45 am »
It's always best to back up the registry in Option 5 as well.

Did you Ethernet connect in Safe Mode with Networking as wireless doesn't work in that mode in Win 8 as far as I know.

Offline zbud

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 11:33:02 am »
did both of those tasks when I ran the program and did all other optionals.
 now it says "inaccessible boot drive"

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 02:18:11 pm »
Do you have any external devices plugged in other than a keyboard and mouse - these should be removed.

Are you using Win 8.0 or Win 8.1 and do you have any bootable install media - this article has a section on how to create bootable Win 8.1 media - https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html

It used to include for Win 8.0 as well but that has been a dead duck since January of this year.

If you have or can create the bootable media to boot up with, you should be able to navigate to the Troubleshoot section to try an earlier restore point.

One other thing you can try if you can boot up into the BIOS and that is to change the SATA mode from AHCI to IDE, although AHCI is the usual default and I would leave this until other options are exhausted.