Author Topic: Offline window updates..clarification ..reg  (Read 11766 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Offline window updates..clarification ..reg
« on: September 17, 2016, 10:07:24 pm »
HI,
               I just typed offline install of windows and i got this link
http://download.wsusoffline.net/
                    The latest version printed could not be located there. I had not attempted this. Some persons who has to reinstall windows, would have known something about this update. Is this possible. I just clicked one last version and it contains mere a 2 m.b.
                          Each wu contains more than this size. So, i am a bit confused how could this offline installer would update. Is it possible and is it feasible.
                            I have read in somewhere in my thread about boggins, recommendation of update in simple manner, without have to install all updates at the same time. But could not remember the thread.
                                Please let me know how to update to control the download of updates so that i could update gradually.
                                     Of late, i am receiving some weird mails so thinking of updating...
                                   My system is having windows 7 ultimate 32 bit.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Offline window updates..clarification ..reg
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 01:41:05 pm »
This YT video is for an earlier version, but you'll get the gist in how to run it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXAOvbNJYyE

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 01:47:48 am »
Hi, Again, i did not have internet access. Some OHC cable cut problem. only now, i have seen your post, Boggins.
                  I have seen the video and have the idea of how to do it.
                     But , i want your idea of knowing the hours it would take, to download the optional downloads, that we select. Is it dos kind of update?
                      If suppose, we close before all updates, then what would we do?
                          These are some other doubts that i have.
                             Because half updates of something may create problems. Pl boggin, give your idea on that

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 02:04:56 am »
I first used this program following a factory reset on a Win 7 laptop but have also just recently used it on another that was having update problems, but while it found some to install, it didn't seem to find all or seem to give me the same options as before.

With the factory reset machine it only found and downloaded 142 updates out of 251 and going to Windows Update after, the rest auto presented and installed without any problem.

This machine which I've been cleaning up hadn't had any updates since May this year and the check for updates seemed to be never ending.

I got an access denied on the cmds I would normally run to reset the update components and running the MS fixit to do the same gave me conflicting results, so I downloaded and ran the System Update Readiness Tool which found 30 and installed those.

I then ran WSUS which found and installed some for .NET Framework and Silverlight, but having also run Belarc Advisor, it says 30 updates are missing.

I'll take that with a pinch of salt as I've run Disk Cleanup as an admin and that cleaned out 5.75GB of obsolete updates which is probably what Belarc is reporting.

If you are having problems with the updates, run the appropriate SURT  to see what that finds, but I'm not sure how you are finding difficulty in running WSUS.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/947821

It can take a while to run because it first checks your computer for updates.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 02:29:07 am »
i have correctly ran the first tool of update generator, which is doing its work. But what i want to know is,
           Will it half end posing some big problems.
                    Would the first itself would force me to update, while shutting taking much time to close.

Secondly, which is the file should i run second to update the same . Generating is one file , which i correctly selected from the folder. But which ultimately installs the update, pl tell the name of exe from your video. You might have known as you have already tried.
                              Do we have the risk of booting after update, as it would seem to be updating in dos prompt, very fastly at 800kbs to my machine.
                                  Just exe first, itself would force to updating...... screens.
                                       as you have tried , i am asking you.
                             Somewhere in the thread, you have given me the knack of updating selected updates , i could not locate the post. pl

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 02:48:49 am »
Hi, Boggins, it shows dynamic updates numbering 203. Will it finish all in a while, or would take much time to install?
Pending updates sometimes create problems , so i ask , how to do the install part.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 03:05:15 am »
When it has finished downloading, open the Client folder where you'll see UpdateInstaller.exe with Application to the right of it - just click on that.

There is a box you can check for auto reboot and recall Windows Update which should take you to Windows Update after the reboot, but I didn't check that and manually went to Windows Update.

I don't remember about being selective in which updates to select after clicking on that - this laptop that I'm trying to upgrade to Win 10 is doing my head in, so any memory of what comes after clicking on that .exe is gone.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 04:56:45 am »
hi, Boggins , thank you. But i want to know, that at installing the update, you have to resort to boot the computer for ihose to take place. I also saw an article to enable it in the update installer.
                     Since you have done that to computers, pl say, whether that will lead to booting problem when updating. If i select auto recall settings, then , will it start once all updates are finished. I do not mind in giving some hours to auto boot and shut, but have you faced any bottle necks , while installing the huge updates.
                              I mean, can we restore if anything happens in the updating stage to a previous stage, resorting to SR.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 05:19:22 am »
You should always create a system image to external media before making major changes to your system.

WSUS was a great help to me following a factory reset - however, when running it on the recent laptop I'd been working on which hadn't had any updates since May, it seemed to freeze on just installing one.

Anyway, I didn't pursue that and successfully upgraded it to Win 10, having found that Avast Free had been baulking my previous attempts that had initially led me to believe I may have needed all of Win 7's updates up to date before I could upgrade.

I suppose it really depends upon what is preventing yours from getting its updates normally.

Have you tried them with your AV program disabled ?

See if you can do a manual install of KB 3172605 - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53332

That was July's roll up update to help with normal updates.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 05:31:20 am »
Hi, That is for 64 bit. Ok, there will be no problem regarding disabling of avast totally, during the updates, but , how to disable again, if any reboot is occuring in the middle of updates. That is the problem. Normally, whenever you disable av, on rebooting, it starts again.
                       How to do this . Pl.
                           Moreover taking of image, i do not know much about it. Is it enough if back up or image for c: drive or for the entire storage?
                                The used space in c: including os etc.72 gb out of 195 gb. So, is it possible to attempt to take a backup image? May be some folders in c: may be moved to d: for storage problem.
                                  should i buy another external hdd for 300 gb and , i do not know whether my system, older system would permit such huge storage as external source.
                                 In nutshell, i want to know, whether you experienced any boot problem when you update with this software. I also came to know that the client folder should be copied to c: root directory and i should also tick the recall options for smooth working. Are those the pointers needed to look.
                                      Please let me also know about doing the image and restoring if anything went awry

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 06:10:47 am »
Avast may only interfere during the download/install and not after the reboot, but to be sure you could use its Uninstaller to uninstall it for the duration - I downloaded an Anniversary Update for Win 10 with Norton security disabled - av as well as firewall and uninstalled Avast for the duration of the Win 10 upgrade.

You don't have to copy the Client folder anywhere - you will see it when you click on Exit after the updates have downloaded.

It only reboots after installing the updates as I recall.

I always use Windows System Image which you access from Control Panel/System and Security/Backup your computer and use an external hard drive.

Plug the external hard drive in before you hit Create a system image and you will need to create a system repair disk as well because to recover from an external hard drive, you have to boot up outside of Windows to navigate to the Recovery Environment to select Restore with an image I created earlier - and again, plug in your external drive before clicking on that.

To determine what space you will need on an external hard drive, open Windows Explorer - Computer and you will see how much space is being used both on C: and the recovery partition if you have one.

With your external hard drive plugged in, you'll also be able to see how much free space is left on that.

If you have a recovery partition, it may not be default selected prior to proceeding with the system image, so check that before clicking on Next/OK - you want a full image of your system.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 06:20:56 am »
Thanks for your added instructions.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 06:27:49 am »
Good luck with the updates then :)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 06:49:19 am »
Hi, After some hesitation , i did try the offline install. It has updated spack1, and selected and window updates, i enabled auto start and so i need not manually start anything.
                              But , i have a question, it has updated 159 updates, out of 203 updates as shown in the install log file. I then downloaded gwx for any problem of prompting win 10. Luckily i had not got any pop up.
I then used windows readiness tool to check for any missing updates. After all that , the wu settings auto turned to check for ready updates and it shows about 9 imp updates, including ie11, when i select this one , it came with some failure.
                     I checked the updates installed and found there are i[dates amd all dated the date i selected.I am giving here the missing files as per checksur.log.
                       how to workaround, Is those necessary, half of it relates to avast, the av, i am using.
How to say that all updates are successful. Some in installed updates show as failed.
                          Hoe to see the log file of its action during the updating process. Some missing files are said to be in the log. Where could i see that log. the program folder only list logs of install log, regarding the first process of selecting the wu off line.
                           Could you give some more idea on this?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 06:50:45 am »
Hi, I failed to enclose the checksur.log

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2016, 07:41:05 am »
It's possible that Avast is the cause of any failures and probably worth an uninstall/reinstall using its Uninstaller, but go to Update History and right click on any that have failed and it should show an error code.

I'm not sure why you got the GWX given that the option to free upgrade to Win 10 is well over.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2016, 08:31:03 pm »
HI, Boggins, Thanks for the tip. The offer is over and there will be no pop up , i think so. Can i uninstall the gwx now? One more query.
                        The installation of update as per the download install history is 203. whereas the actual is only 159. I will check for the remaining updates in the installation updates.
                         Really it is a solution to update, quickly without any trouble. I mean, you are updating the system updates, when running your computer and also the fact, it is in dos mode..wonderful tool.
                             Boggin: i also have a tip to offer here. When you inadvertantly or windows by itself start downloading , the install is usually reserved by it , when you shut down, forcing you not to close the computer and go out.
                                   I found a tip, that in such a situation, ie, when you click the shutdown button if you notice yellow icon , denoting there are updates before closing, you could shut down the pc without those updates and it naturally starts when you reboot the computer. The small tip is , log off the computer and then in the right down the screen, you have got a red icon with dropdown menu. Just seleting that and shutdown, will shut down the computer without forcing the updates at the shutdown phase
Where is the log of updates , when it actually updates thro Wu Offline installer? I could not find in the program logs
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 08:32:52 pm by jraju »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2016, 12:33:58 am »
I have my Win 7 updates set to let me choose and while I'll get a notification on the right side of the system tray, I no longer get the alert on the Start button - but before when I got the alert, I would go Start - type windows update and press enter then deselect them so that I could download them at a time of my choosing.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2016, 01:35:00 am »
Where is the program logs ? of this utility

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2016, 01:52:32 am »
I don't know if it produces any as the program doesn't actually install if I remember rightly and I didn't need to go looking for it when I ran the program.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2016, 02:05:19 am »
Then how did you check whether all the updates are installed? I mean that it should tally with the same OS with same version. i have windows ultimate 32 bit . If suppose, no update is not selected otherwise, how to check the number of updates. I do not mean optional.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2016, 02:13:27 am »
Your update history shows which updates were installed on a given date, but if you watched WSUS progress you would see how many it installed and I've described how to check the error codes of any that have failed.

However, you can check the Windows update log by pressing the Windows key+r and type windowsupdate.log - OK

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2016, 02:18:19 am »
thanks boggin

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2016, 10:24:07 am »
I've recently come across a wsusoffline file in my Docs folder but it is empty, unless once it has done its job, there's no need for a log.