Author Topic: Windows Repair under WinPE?  (Read 8164 times)

Offline Brama

• View Profile
Windows Repair under WinPE?
« on: September 21, 2016, 09:37:56 am »
Hello,
is it possible to repair an operating system that is installed in disk C:, using a customized WinPE boot disk?
I tried to launch the Windows Repair from the Repair_Windows.exe that is installed in disk C:, using the customized WinPE boot disk and the program starts but it detects as operating system to repair the WinPe O.S. and not the Windows 10 that is installed in C: disk.
There is any mode to instruct Windows Repair to search Windows installation in a given volume and repair this operating system?

Thanks and bye.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Repair under WinPE?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 04:19:36 am »
Use the Download tool now in this article https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 and you can create the latest Win 10 ISO boot disk for your system and then perform a repair install.

When you get the choice of USB or ISO - choose ISO and after it has downloaded and saved to your Docs folder you will be prompted to open DVD burner - stick a DVD in then click Next to point to the Windows image.

The download is ~3.09GB so can take some time depending upon your download speed.

Open Windows Explorer - This PC - stick the disk in and hit the Setup.exe

This will repair your system without affecting your programs or personal stuff.

While I've never used a WPE disk, when you boot up with a system repair disk to navigate to the command prompt to carry out any repairs, you are booted outside of Windows so at the cmd prompt to find where to execute any repairs, you need to enter the cmd bcdedit |find "osdevice" and whichever partition letter that returns is where Windows sees the volume as installed, as it isn't always C:

Offline Brama

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 06:10:59 am »
Thanks for suggestion but unfortunately the safe mode doesn't load any good driver for the mouse and keyboard, even after the procedure that you suggested and that I did 3 times in the last weeks.
I will post what I did in another thread in this forum.

Bye, :smiley:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 09:21:37 am »
I've seen and replied in your other thread, but this thread makes no mention of problems in Safe Mode.

The Anniversary Update loaded a wireless driver for me that wasn't suitable and I installed another by the method as I've asked you to check in your other thread.