Author Topic: How do I fix 2 Reparse Point isues "Windows Repair" found but is unable to fix?  (Read 5922 times)

Offline DKO

• View Profile
Hi  :smiley: 

I'm brand new here and new to Windows Repair.  My Knowledge and understanding of the importance of Reparse Points and need for them to be correct is Zero but I can and am willing to follow instructions (if understood).

My O/S is Windows 10 Pro Anniversary (x64)

Windows Repair identified a large number of issues concerning incorrect Reparse Points and repaired all but 11 on its first run.  On a second repair run it fixed 9 leaving just 2 not fixed (further runs made no difference).

The log says
┌───────────────────────────────┐
│[STARTED] [24/09/2016 15:15:01]│
└───────────────────────────────┘
Running Repair on C:\ProgramData\Application Data

• Command to Run: Create Default Reparse Point (This Is A Default Windows Reparse Point, Lets Put It Back The Way It Should Be)
  • Calling Checking If Link Folder Exists
  • Link Folder Does Exist, We need to remove it as we can't make Reparse Points for exisiting folders.
  • Setting Owner On Folder (So We Have A Better Chance For Permission To Remove It).
  • Calling RemoveDirectoryW (Only Removes Empty Folders, Just In Case)
  • RemoveDirectoryW Returned An Error, Error: 0 - The directory is not empty.
  • Even Though We Got An Error, Lets Keep Going.
  • Type is JUNCTION, Calling: mklink /J "C:\ProgramData\Application Data" "C:\ProgramData"
  • Setting Owner To System And Everyone Read Access To Denied (This Is The Default) To The Link Folder: C:\ProgramData\Application Data

Running Repair on C:\Users\Dave\Application Data

• Command to Run: Create Default Reparse Point (This Is A Default Windows Reparse Point, Lets Put It Back The Way It Should Be)
  • Calling Checking If Link Folder Exists
  • Link Folder Does Exist, We need to remove it as we can't make Reparse Points for exisiting folders.
  • Setting Owner On Folder (So We Have A Better Chance For Permission To Remove It).
  • Calling RemoveDirectoryW (Only Removes Empty Folders, Just In Case)
  • RemoveDirectoryW Returned An Error, Error: 0 - The directory is not empty.
  • Even Though We Got An Error, Lets Keep Going.
  • Type is JUNCTION, Calling: mklink /J "C:\Users\Dave\Application Data" "C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Roaming"
  • Setting Owner To System And Everyone Read Access To Denied (This Is The Default) To The Link Folder: C:\Users\Dave\Application Data

┌────────────────────────────────┐
│[FINISHED] [24/09/2016 15:15:05]│
└────────────────────────────────┘

I read in another Topic "Reparse point repair silently fails" in April 2015 that Shane suggested trying mklink /J "C:\ProgramData\Application Data" "C:\ProgramData" in a command Window may work (the OP did not get back to you with what it reported so Topic  ended there) I tired this (cmd window was "Run as Administrator") but failure message was "Cannot create a file when the file already exists"

I do not know if these two remaining Reparse Point issues are of (serious) concern or not. If they are may I ask why?  I would very much appreciate advice and solution to my two issues.

Many thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I get two reparse points not fixed in my Win 10 - can't remember offhand if they are the same as yours but I've just left them as no adverse effects noticed and updates are downloading and installing okay.