Author Topic: How to restore if keyboard not working  (Read 7221 times)

Offline fuzmic

• View Profile
How to restore if keyboard not working
« on: October 10, 2016, 03:39:02 pm »
Hi guys

I am new here.  I have a Win7 pc that has a USB keyboard that don't type.  At BIOS it does.  Switching to P2/2 keyboard have the same state.  Checking properties of KB says registry corrupt, so tried to restore my backup registry using your vs3.2.2.

I can go into SafeMode as the Dos / BIOS mode KB allows me to type F8, but once in win7, i can'r restore because it requires me to type in password of the Admin.

Please help.  Moreover how can i restore in i) dos mode ii) if windows cannot be boot but i can view the harddisk by accessing as a slave.

Offline Brama

• View Profile
Re: How to restore if keyboard not working
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 08:07:50 am »
If you have a backup made by Windows utility or a restore point, you can boot with the original Win7 DVD and click "repair" after the first screen with language choice.
If you have working the keyboard under BIOS, normally you have it in WinRE too. WinRE is the small OS loaded with a repair USB key or DVD, or by the original DVD with complete OS onboard.

After you go to advanced utilities and you can chose to restore from a restore point or from a Windows backup.
It has to work, in theory :)

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 08:50:36 am »
http://www.tweaking.com/articles/pages/tweaking_com_registry_backup_online_help.html

Scroll down to "What restore options does the program have?"

V 3.2.2 is an old version...I'd be wary of restoring the registry from a backup made a while ago, unless of course it is a recent backup done with that version.

Offline fuzmic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 08:56:29 pm »
Thanks guys for the suggestions, will deal with it later.  THANKS.

Offline fuzmic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 09:13:31 pm »
Guys, as the Tweat'backup is really a direct copy of various folders eg system32/config, etc.;  I tried to restore from normal mode window by copying these files directly to the same folder.  Of course it did not allow me to do so for some folders.  What if i started in Safemode, can i use this way & if not how?

By the way i have to resort by this copying process because the restoration has no record even though the RegBackUp folder contain the restoration i did sometime ago.

Offline fuzmic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 12:35:03 am »
Guru i finally read about using dvd boot up to get into dos prompt mode. From there i can get into regbackup folder and run dos_restore.cmd.

But unfortunately it responded

"Can't find drive of windows" and ask to check back to this website.

Any fast fix, Thanks

Offline Brama

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 07:01:05 am »
I am not sure, but I suppose regbackup is able to restore only on online registry and when you are in dos prompt mode your Windows registry is in offline mode.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 02:45:22 pm »
If you have a Win 7 install disk that includes SP 1 then boot up with that.

If you get a black screen with Windows Setup (EMS Enabled) highlighted, just press enter and after it has loaded the files, when you get to the splash screen click on Repair your Computer and navigate to the Recovery Environment to select Command Prompt.

At the prompt enter bcdedit |find "osdevice" and using whichever partition letter enter (where X is the partition letter) -

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=X:\ /offwindir=X:\Windows

And that should repair the registry from an incorrupt source.

For clarity, that is a Pipe symbol before find which is the upper case of \ and there's a space before each forward slash.