Author Topic: BSOD and restart , when i play a movie file in vlc  (Read 12663 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
BSOD and restart , when i play a movie file in vlc
« on: October 11, 2016, 01:32:05 am »
Hi,
              When i play a movie file from dvd disc with vlc media player , all of a sudden, the computer crashed and rebooted automatically showing that windows recovered from unexpected problem and the code is shown as 1000007f.
                            i went to minidump files , but could not open to see what is the bug.
Then i downloaded nirsoft utility bsod view and then i could saw the three minidump files thro it. It all pointed to the intel graphics driver and also list out the stage, all the processes everything, when the crash occurred. I could not go beyond this.
                       would somebody say what the dump log tells. Which i should do to correct the error. as normally windows tries to reboot successfully after each attempt to play the file. it is a vob file of a old movie.
                     I also notice a green bar like thing while playing thro the vlc medai player. I uninstalled and reinstalled . pl give solution
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: BSOD and restart , when i play a movie file in vlc
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 02:03:44 am »
Create a restore point then run the Intel auto detect to see if it finds anything to install/update.

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 02:10:31 am »
Hi, I tried that already. It does not support my system. It gives error message. It says requirements does not match and i get error to finish the install. Intel discontinued stopping support to older models.
                          What about the other process? How to debug with this log, i posted. It also list log with all processes in another file.
                                So, if i uninstall and reinstall the graphics driver, will that be enough. Or is the problem related to vlc media or the disc itself. WMP does not play recent files and i have to use the vlc. But when i tried, just , it reboots without error and on reboot flashes the error, that windows recovered from unexpected problem .

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 02:26:46 am »
Are there any graphics drivers to download from your computer support site if OEM or the motherboard support site if custom built ?

Right click on your graphics adapter in Device Manager - Update Driver Software - Browse my computer - Let me pick - then click on the driver that is in the store - Next - to see if that resolves or you could opt for it to search online which it may or not find a newer driver.

In Control Panel - System and Security/Find and fix problems - View all - there are a number of WMP troubleshooters as well as one for Hardware and Devices - give those a try to see if they come up with anything.

In Win 10 there is one to troubleshoot Blue Screens but I don't think Win 7 has that, offhand.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 09:01:27 am »
J, is this the Intel 82865G graphics controller? Have n't we been here before? No drivers for Vista or Win 7, so you had to use XP drivers?

Do you have a PCIe or even an AGP slot free? Look at getting a card supported by Win7.

Should be cheap enough, I upgraded a friend's old DELL with nVidia GeForce 6200 and it runs Win7 fine.

Again, your signature is kind of ironic.

EDIT: For the green line, try this..."Tools" > "Preferences" > "Video" > Change "Output" to "OpenGL video output" >  "Save".
See screenshots attached.

If that does n't fix it then reset "Output" to "Automatic" and uncheck "Use hardware YUV->RGB conversions", then "Save"....It's a common problem, check out the VLC forum

« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 03:49:14 pm by Samson, Reason: additional info. »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 08:17:29 pm »
Hi, Samson, I have tried the change of open cg. But not the other.
                      drivermax, shows me that all drivers are in update position.
                          When i tried other drivers, it could not install with error message, the OS is not supported to install this driver and will close message.
                          I have uninstalled and reinstalled the vlc media player.
                             I wil also check the other dvd disc whether it shows and play correctly. and then report , samson. Longtime no see

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 08:42:45 pm »
Hi, i tried other dvd disc and it works . So, there is problem in the concerned disc containing the movie itself.
                        But now there is no BSOD.
                         My question is
                               if the disc is corrupt or damaged, would that influence BSOD? Of course, i did update the vga driver thro drivermax, which it found to have a update. it downloaded and then i just uninstalled drivermax free version.
i will try with the same disc with this driver on board and report back.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 09:23:29 pm »
There are NO Win 7 drivers for the Intel 82865G graphics controller either from Intel or DELL (I'm assuming that is the machine and card we are talking about?...You did n't answer that).

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81528

http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=76T5F

..The latest drivers are from 2005 and are for XP. So I have no idea what that 3rd party program is offering you. I'd be wary of a program like drivermax and what it offers, when te OEM and manufacturer offer none..other than that for XP.

A corrupt DVD would not cause a BSOD.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 10:35:52 pm »
Hi, i have tried the xp drivers, and it exited without installing, says the OS is not supported and will exit.
                       what is the workaround? My Os is windows 7 and the graphics driver is xp compatible.
                       How to verify the other tech. specifications in your first reply regarding pce..
                          How to verify those things. In which tab, i could see those ,in bios?

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 04:02:53 am »
J, can you confirm that this is your DELL desktop we are talking about here? And the Intel 82865G graphics? Check what version driver you already have, it may be the same as I've linked to.

See...http://www.techsupportforum.com/4478-installing-a-device-driver-under-compatibility-mode-in-windows-7/ and chose XP from the compatibility mode drop down.

If this IS your DELL, use the driver that I linked to in a previous post. http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=76T5F  Save the file, double click on it to extract the files, if the auto setup starts, cancel it, then right click on the Setup.exe file and select properties > compatibility and select XP mode as above article describes.

Open up your case and you'll see if you've got a PCIe or AGP slot.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 04:35:49 am by Samson »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 05:14:14 am »
hi,
             Samson, Thank you. I have gone to the compatibility tab and then selected windows xp sp3 and then the driver installed successfully.
                       This is a new thing to me. Trouble shooting does not solve. but your solution simply worked .. The same video is playing in vlc media player.
                                I have downloaded the realtek audio latest driver for windows 7 and it is working properly. Should i also change the same to xp compatibility. I want your view. Now, i am getting green lines in the centre vertical of the film. Why it is so, is it because , some problem. I will try your solution and report back

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 05:23:01 am »
J, Please answer the Qs....Is this the Intel 82865G graphics on your DELL desktop? I hope so now you have installed that driver.

Leave your audio driver well alone, it is for Win 7 and working  :wink:

Try the second solution that I posted above regarding the green line on VLC....Do you have V2.2.4? the latest version.

If my fix for that does n't work, head to the VLC forum, others are having the same issue.
https://forum.videolan.org/

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 05:46:22 am »
Hi, Samson,
                The solution is changing the output to direct x.video output , instead of opengl. I also had to change the aspect ration to 4:3 to get the maximum delight. The video does not have any green lines once this is done.
                  I was a little bit confused when the application exited without installing drivers and the idea of compatibility tab by Samson definitely helped me to get the things done , with my old card.
                      I have not downloaded the xp, as my OS win 7. But change in the compatibility magically runs the program and installed the driver .Thanks for Samson for giving clues regarding green lines and drivers. So, if the card supports only xp, then one has to download the drivers , and make suitable change in the OS in compatibllity tab.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 05:50:12 am »
Hi, Samson it is not dell desktop. This is my windows assembled set and yes i have successfully installed the driver after your tip about compatibility tab.My system is having the specification that you have given in the link.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 05:58:56 am »
OK, perhaps you should have used the driver from Intel rather than DELL, but they are more than likely the same anyway given the release dates. Leave it now you have it installed and running.

Good to hear the green line has gone.

the video in question was probably originally shot in 4:3 ratio if it an old one, so setting VLC to the same will reproduce this and give "maximum delight".

Glad to have helped  :smiley:

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 06:06:50 am »
Hi, Thanks again.
                So, the standard vga drivers are not enough. One has to see the model and go to the website to download the drivers for which card or hardware , the drivers are meant. Simply, put it, if you bought the computer that has hardware supported to a particular OS, you have to download the drivers for the same OS, and make change in the compatibility tab to your previous OS to install the drivers. Otherwise, you get the errors, of Os not supported.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 06:13:50 am »
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".  :wink:

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 06:20:58 am »
It is the other way around, my hardware supports the video, but the compatibility is the issue. Do you suggest any change in the bottom lines.
                    That was the idea, when i tried wireless without a supported hardware in my computer. here in this case, my hardware supports the video , but the microsoft generic drivers gave me the problem. Even your idea of let me pick would have done the trick

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2016, 08:54:06 am »
According to the attachment in your first post you were not using MS generic drivers, but Intel Corp's 6.14.10.4396.

Now you are using Intel's  6.14.10.4363 (from the DELL link I posted).

From the Intel link that I posted the version is 6.14.10.4396 (the same as you were using)

Who knows, maybe by rolling back to an older version was the fix? If you are feeling brave then reinstall 6.14.10.4396 from the Intel link, in compatability mode for XP as you have done for 6.14.10.4363.

Either way, although it is a workaround, compatibility mode is not ideal and crashes/ BSOD are not unexpected especially when using graphics intensive applications (such as playing DVDs). The longer term solution would be to add a Win7 supported card, if you can get one cheaply. But do you really want to spend out much on a 10+ year old machine?

"Let me pick" was Boggin's suggestion, not mine give him the thanks for that, not me.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 04:02:57 pm by Samson »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2016, 12:37:54 am »
Hi, Thanks boggin.
                     The fact is that when i try to update the driver, it says that windows found that it is the required update and nothing is there in microsoft source.
                       The intel drivers, when installed has shown a message alert that i am having a later version than the one downloading. I says yes and then it installed.
                         Hi, samson,
                             I do not know, whether i could add any graphics card other than the one have, because it is integrated with mobo. i think. can i add a card and use the new one that supports new one disabling the old one . Since most queries have answered by you, i missed boggin.

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2016, 09:54:05 am »
Hi,
              When i play a movie file from dvd disc with vlc media player , all of a sudden, the computer crashed and rebooted automatically showing that windows recovered from unexpected problem and the code is shown as 1000007f.
                            i went to minidump files , but could not open to see what is the bug.
Then i downloaded nirsoft utility bsod view and then i could saw the three minidump files thro it. It all pointed to the intel graphics driver and also list out the stage, all the processes everything, when the crash occurred. I could not go beyond this.
                       would somebody say what the dump log tells. Which i should do to correct the error. as normally windows tries to reboot successfully after each attempt to play the file. it is a vob file of a old movie.
                     I also notice a green bar like thing while playing thro the vlc medai player. I uninstalled and reinstalled . pl give solution

Yes, its getting to the point with intel, we need check updates monthly now, problem is, they been adding to much additional junk with their updates!

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2016, 10:28:28 am »
Yes, its getting to the point with intel, we need check updates monthly now, problem is, they been adding to much additional junk with their updates!

Not quite what is going on here Rick.....J's problem is actually from a lack of updates from Intel since 2005.