Author Topic: Repair wont start in XP x64 even in safe mode, i tried 3 times but doesnt work.  (Read 27527 times)

Offline Stookza

• View Profile
Re: Repair wont start even in safe mode, i tried 3 times but it doesnt work.
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2016, 09:31:22 am »
Non of any black CMD windows were opened during the repair's try. 

Yes I installed the last version of WR [v3.9.15]  this morning after i saw your reply, but it crashed at the start with a "kernel32.dll" error , so i uninstalled it and reversed back to v3.9.13 version again. 

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2016, 09:36:05 am »
- Ok. That already gives one clue.
- The 1st picture suggests (!!!) that WR messes with the Service info in the registry ("The Tweaking Run As System 003 Service .......... "). That text is NOT supposed to show up there.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 09:42:34 am by Willy2 »

Offline Stookza

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2016, 10:01:03 am »
Yes that's right. So what does it mean except of messing with the registry? or what can i do about that 0003 error? Or like Boggin said "there is nothing to do with it actually, cause WR wasn't designed or tested on Xp x64,"

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 10:09:19 am by Stookza »

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2016, 10:18:33 am »
- Perhaps it's a bug that also shows up when run on a 32 bit XP system. Is someone willing to test this ?
- Or did you perhaps tweak your system (too much ??).

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2016, 02:30:30 pm »
- I see also something else. Stookza ran WR 3 times and made a screenshot. And then the text "The Tweaking ............... 003" showed up. Stookza ran the program for a 4th time and then the same text appeared but now with "........ 004". So, somehow there's a counter involved that was increased from "003" to "004". Does that provide a better clue of what's going on ?

Offline Stookza

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2016, 08:17:03 pm »
- Perhaps it's a bug that also shows up when run on a 32 bit XP system. Is someone willing to test this ?
- Or did you perhaps tweak your system (too much ??).

Thanks a lot for ur replies Willy 

- Its not a bug that also shows up on XP 32 bit because i did the repair again with 1 of my old pcs with XP32bit only 15 min ago, and all the correct CMD windows were opened during the repair, and it finished and works perfect as u can c at the attached screenshots.

- I indeed tweaked all of my pc's a bit, especially the "services", because there are many settings on default that slows our system performance and i really dont need them to be enabled on auto/manual  , according to "Blackviper" http://www.blackviper.com/ and "Theeldergeek"  http://www.theeldergeek.com/ and Gibson research https://www.grc.com/intro.htm instructions. Those services also expose our systems for hacking attacks, or remote by others, or a backdoor for viruses. 

like who needs "Remote registry" or "telnet" or "Net Tcp port sharing" or "Netmeeting" to be enabled??
Or for example even "Printspooler" as enabled, if i dont use any printer on those pcs?   

Thats why i removed some options that i dont need to be changed, before applying the repair with WR. because i dont want to set the services back to default again, and my network settings are totally ok, and "print spooler" is already disabled.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 07:28:37 am by Stookza »

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
(I still have a few suggestions)

- When sound is "stuttering" then - in general - something is "interfering". But what ? Graphics card ?
- How much free space do you have on your HD ? I know that when free space comes down to under say 10% Windows becomes "less stable" especially when one has a LARGE HD.
- Open "Services" (Services.msc). Do you see anything unusual (e.g. that word "Tweaking" or "Run as").
- If you know how to use a registry editor then you can manually search the registry for that text string (in the "Services section" of the registry)

You can try the following:
- Make a backup copy of the registry (Tweaking's Registry Backup), grab the file "Services_startup_xp.txt" (in one of the subfolders under where Windows Repair is located) and run it as a *.bat file. It will reset the Services to their defaults on your XP system after a re-boot. Perhaps then will WR run without a hiccup. (After all, you did tweak your system).

- This "Services ......... " file(s) allows you to manually modify the start up state of LOTS of (e.g. XP) Services in one run. You can modify the start up states of the Services. See the repair info for repair #27.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 04:09:50 pm by Willy2 »

Offline Stookza

• View Profile
Hi and thanks again for not giving up of trying to help me  :wink:

- I tried all my PCI-EX slots with or without the double GTX 680 but it still didnt solve my tiny stuttering problem, Now the the sound blaster is in slot 3 under the 2 slots X16 of the GTX video cards.

- I have 442 GB free space at the 1TB hard disk, and 308 GB free at the 500 GB hard disk where windows is installed.

- I dont see something suspicious or unusual at the "Services" , I uploaded for you a screenshot of my services menu from a to z, and i will really appreciate if u can help me and see if something looks wrong in there, or that i disabled something that should be enabled.

I did your suggestion of backing up the registry with "Windows Repair", and i have now the "Services_startup_xp" as a ".bat" file, but i afraid to press on it and reset my services back to default again like u said. I configured it for few hours by the 'Theeldergeek" and "blackviper" instructions [2+- years ago when i installed windows], and i afraid that i wont be able to return it to the tweaked one that i have now. so thats why i uploaded you the screenshot of the services menu. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 10:38:31 am by Stookza »

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
- No, that picture doens't show anything extra-ordinary.
- That *.bat file only "touches" the Services that came with XP and not the ones that were installed afterwards by other software.
- You can use the tool called "MSCONFIG". It's a very powerful tool to modify how Windows starts. And the nice thing is, the user can easily reverse those changes. E.g., disable all the non-Microsoft stuff, reboot and see if the sound problem has gone. (This is only one of the options this tool provides). That could give a clue what is interfering with the sound.
- Perhaps now you're able to run WR as well. The article below explains the tool well, IMO.

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/cool-websites/guide-to-msconfig-windows/

Offline Stookza

• View Profile
- Yes i know "MSCONFIG". since 1998 im using it ;-) But nothing there looks suspicious that might interfere with the sound,  and i disabled all the non-Microsoft ones, but it still didnt solve my audio stuttering and WR problem, So i re-enabled again some of the necessary services [like creative sound, AV,  Intel Matrix Manager].   

The problem of the sound is not so serious actually, but still its annoying a bit , its just a lil "tick" or "popping" sound when i move the cursor of the mouse from one part to another in some music or video files, the second problem is a strong and knocking bass sound in some audio files. [that i can feel very well comes out from the sub-woofers]

I think the problem caused only from the memory's slots 3-4 defect [that i dont use], or cause of the "buggy" and problematic drivers of Creative X-fi Titanium which doesn't fit completely to windows XP x64.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
- Sound driver problem ?
- I am out of suggestions. Alas.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Possibly a shared IRQ problem, check that the soundcard has it's own IRQ. The "click" or "pop" can be a symptom of this.

Offline Stookza

• View Profile
Lol I can understand u already, but thanks again for doing your best of trying to help me!

The strange thing is that in the past, this driver problem wasn't exist at all! Im talking about XP x64 all was just fine with the sound!

Something happened in the last 1.5 years, I remember that i installed windows 8 in my other hard disk a year ago+- , and there was no any problem at all! 

The driver or the sound problem doesn't exist at all in windows 8 or 7 , The sound works perfect there! I just cant work with those operating systems cause of the 3D/2ND low performance compares to XP X64.

So i actually might be wrong that the sound related to the memory's slots problem, cause it was simply perfect with windows 7-8 in the exact same pc setup.

But maybe with xp x64 it relates it to the memory slots problem. I can feel the sound problem mostly when i open CPUZ, the sound stops/pops for  1-2 seconds and returns.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 10:44:08 pm by Stookza »

Offline Stookza

• View Profile
Possibly a shared IRQ problem, check that the soundcard has it's own IRQ. The "click" or "pop" can be a symptom of this.

Yes thanks for ur advice! i thought about that either long time ago, i checked the IRQS and saw that there is some conflict with ICH10R which belongs to the chipset. Anyway i didnt have any IRQ BSOD or something like that at the last 2 years since i installed that windows.

I attached a screenshot of my system's IRQS, Do u think that it might be the cause of problem???  If yes, how can i change and sign another IRQ to cancel the conflict? i tried to change slots and switched the sound card between all the other PCI-X slots with or without the video cards, but there are no many options and i cant remove 1 of my video cards cause i play on SLI, And even if i remove 1 of my GTX cards, still it has the same IRQ conflict with ICH10R or with another hardware :sad:     

[BTW u see on the list double XFX GTX 285 AND not the 680 because i moved them to another pc i have to test with windows 8]
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 03:16:01 pm by Stookza »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
I'm just going from personal experience. I have Creative Soundblaster card in an XP (32bit) machine that "popped" and "clicked" on occasion.

Drivers updated etc...problem remained, checked and found it was sharing IRQ with another device. swapped the card to another slot, but it was still sharing the same IRQ, tried a third slot, same IRQ sharing. (From memory it was shared with a USB Universal Host controller.)

I then used an option  in the BIOS that allowed setting the IRQ from there. Result, my soundcard was given its own IRQ and worked perfectly since.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 04:15:09 am by Samson »

Offline Stookza

• View Profile
I did exactly what u did long time ago, and had the same results lol. I think that this time u gave me a direction for the main reason of my audio stuttering problem. 

question is how can i change IRQ's sign if i dont have any option in the bios? 

I know that i have that option in another pc i use with an ASrock board and AMI bios, but not in the ASUS mb,  Its called: "Configure Super IO Chipset" and i can choose IRQ's only for the inputs/outputs. [3F8//IRQ4] but not for Sata ICH10R PCI-Exp root port.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 03:15:57 am by Stookza »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
I checked on my old machine (that I mentioned above)  it is an old HP board, phoenix BIOS, probably similar to your ASrock. That machine allows the BIOS to control IRQs and the OS does not change them.

I am sorry, I don't know how (even if you can) select IRQs on your ASUS board via the OS.  :sad:

I do know that some Creative cards had jumpers on them to set the IRQ.

It maybe worth heading over to the Creative Sound Blasters forum and outlining your issues, they might be able to help?
http://forums.creative.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6

I noticed this "sticky", which seemed relevant to your setup?
http://forums.creative.com/showthread.php?t=521634
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 04:14:28 pm by Samson, Reason: Extra info added »

Offline Stookza

• View Profile
Thanks a lot for the links Samson , I passed on all the "sticky" thread pages, page by page 21 pages, no matter what i tried nothing helped, no solution  :cry: 

I have no jumper on my sound card, I disabled Virtual Technology in the Bios, I tried to search in google how to turn off  "link state power management" of the PCI-EX for XP but couldn't find a link. [it fits only for Windows 7-8]   

Im out of any solution how to change IRQ, but now im searching to purchase an external PCI-E slot that ill be able to connect with a USB cable, Ill connect the Sound card to it and maybe it will change the IRQ and solve my problem, but still i cant find some external PCI-E slot without a connector to the internal PSU power cable, I need something with an external & independent PSU and power cable that i wont need to connect straight to my pc's PSU.

And some adapter that ill be able to connect to the pc only with a USB cable and not with a PCI-E extender, so that it will really change the IRQ of the sound card.

Something like that but without PSU power connector, and that connects to the pc straight only with USB cable:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/30cm-Top-Quality-super-speed-PCI-E-Express-Powered-Riser-Card-USB-3-0-extender-Cable/32751216278.html?spm=2114.30010308.3.227.pMgpzb&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2_10065_10056_10068_10055_10054_10059_10078_10079_10084_10083_10073_10080_10070_10096_10082_10081_10060_423_10061_10052_10062_10050_424_10051,searchweb201603_2&btsid=bb7cdd5b-7830-4ca2-9d8c-ef8ec205ea2d 

« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 10:51:38 pm by Stookza »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Thanks a lot for the links Samson , I passed on all the "sticky" thread pages, page by page 21 pages, no matter what i tried nothing helped, no solution  :cry: 

I must admit I did n't read all 21 pages in the thread. But I got the impression that no one had found a solution that worked for all. It seemed to me that the concensus was that there was a compatibility issue between  certain Nvidia and Creative cards with SLI, with neither offering a fix.

Good luck with your new line of attack  :wink:

Offline Stookza

• View Profile
I doubt it will success but thanks anyway, i appreciate your help  :wink:

I will purchase the cheap adapter and check if it will change the IRQ somehow, If it wont i have nothing to lose but 5$. 

There are some expansive external PCI-EX with a box, but it doesnt worth for me to buy them on the start, and i cant connect them straight to the USB hub anyway but with an internal PCI-E to a USB card like the cheap one does. 

It may step on the same IRQ again, so thats why its better to try the cheaper one.   

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/PCIE-1X-To-PCI-e-16x-slots-Extension-Riser-card-1-to-2-PCI-express-adapter/32257530005.html?spm=2114.30010308.3.194.MK5tbO&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2_10065_10056_10068_10055_10054_10059_10078_10079_10084_10083_10073_10080_10070_10096_10082_10081_10060_423_10061_10052_10062_10050_424_10051,searchweb201603_2&btsid=d457f8dd-aa1b-4685-9506-96f847d1f860

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Been having a dig around Google and this was one solution for someone to change the IRQ -

Here is what you do to assign IRQs by the BIOS, which is good enough for me.

Go to open boot.ini with notepad and put /PCILOCK after the '/fastdetect' switch

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
- @StookZa: Run the *.bat file in the weblink. Perhaps that will help the audio problem

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AluvxwylJSzyd5kxDNB0US6vEn8

Offline Stookza

• View Profile
Been having a dig around Google and this was one solution for someone to change the IRQ -

Here is what you do to assign IRQs by the BIOS, which is good enough for me.

Go to open boot.ini with notepad and put /PCILOCK after the '/fastdetect' switch

I did it but it didnt change anything with the IRQs list, but i feel a tiny improvement with the pc perfomrance, or its just a feeling, so im not gonna erase it from the boot.ini . 

Now im gonna try the "bat" file of Willy and ill update at the next few hours. thx

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Were you able to do anything with the IRQs in the BIOS after adding that ?

Offline Stookza

• View Profile
No i dont have any new option in the bios. all the same.

The BAT file of Willy didnt fix it either, but maybe it also improved slightly the performance of the pc, and registered some files that were not been registered.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 04:46:51 am by Stookza »