Author Topic: Tweaking For Windows 10  (Read 8092 times)

Offline SandyG

• View Profile
Tweaking For Windows 10
« on: October 20, 2016, 02:35:43 pm »
I am using Windows 10, I have the new, downloaded automatically by Windows, the Anniversary Edition.  Does Tweaking work well with Windows 10?  Which version of Tweaking should I use?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tweaking For Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 02:48:17 pm »
Shane will have tested the latest version of WR in Win 10 before he released 3.9.13.

What problems do you have or is this just a query ?

Offline SandyG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 02:58:15 pm »
I had a bad program on  my computer and edited the Registry.  The computer was slow booting up.  It was running slow, but seems to be pepping back up.  I had a strange screen when I booted up.  I'm not sure I need to tweak or not.  Right now it seems fine.  I'm afraid to turn it off.  But I need to do that here shortly as I need to take it with me to a meeting.  I don't know whether to tweak or just to see how it does.  It did boot up, so I'm hoping it boots up again.  Thanks for responding.  I figured Shane would have things going great, but I wasn't sure if the newer Windows 10 was included in his Tweaking.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 03:25:21 pm »
How do you mean a strange screen - that could be video drivers, memory, or just a glitch.

Have a look in Event Viewer to see if anything was recorded with a time stamp for when you experienced it.

Offline SandyG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 03:29:19 pm »
How do I find the event viewer?  As for the strange start up screen, when it booted up the date and time came up on a blue screen with nothing else.  It usually comes up with a picture.  Then the picture came up but the picture was all that was there, no date and time.  Nothing was happening, I hit the enter key and finally it asked me for my PIN to log in.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 04:01:02 pm »
Right click on the Start button where you will see most tools you are likely to use and just click on them.

With Event Viewer, on mine it has occasionally not defaulted to Event Viewer (Local) not being highlighted in the upper left pane, but you just need to click on it for to get the Errors.

When you see Critical, Errors etc. click on Errors then on Show All Instances of This Event in the lower right pane and clicking on either of those that come up will give a brief description in the lower pane, which isn't always intelligible.

I recently upgraded a laptop for someone that needed more than one account on it and with passwords and when that booted up, the time would come up with the picture and you had to press enter to get to the log in screen.

I think that's a trait when you have password protected accounts as I don't get that on mine where I don't use a password.

On one of my two laptops that are upgraded I occasionally get the picture or just the blue screen with my username on it, but it does go onto boot up.

As long as you can get to your log in screen, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Offline SandyG

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 04:13:34 pm »
Thank you for walking through this with me.  I don't really know what all the events in the event viewer means.   I don't even know if I'm looking at the right things.   I have attached the screen shots.  Perhaps this will tell you something or let me know if I should do a Tweaking with Shane's program, or just continue to see how things go.  Appreciate your help on this.  Thank you.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 04:23:39 pm »
That's not the page I get when I click on the name Error and then on Show All Instances of This Event in the lower right pane - it should be for Summary page events and not Administrator Events where you get the alerts 'n all.

With the Summary page it will give you an Event ID number to work on.

At one time, clicking on the blue online help link wold take you to a MS help page, but they seem to have done away with that, so we now have to Google the source such as ESENT and whatever the ID number is.

Offline SandyG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 04:30:08 pm »
I'm getting now what you were talking about and viewing the event Show All Instances of the Event.  Not a lot of help.  I'll continue to see how things run.  Thanks for your help.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 04:33:52 pm »
You're welcome :)