Author Topic: will installation from usb slow in start in starting windows bar moving  (Read 6723 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, I have succeeded in trying to boot from USB, which i have done thro , normal method. I then downloaded plpbt.iso, as my machine does not have readymade pendrive boot option in bios. I just burnt the iso in imgburn and succeeded in booting from the usb.
             But the initial bar moving was somewhat slow than normal , but it slowly comes to the install window stage. I just quit there. But i want to know, whether formatting my usb with fat 32 is the reason for slow booting. Should i format the usb with ntfs, normally supports older bios . Or is it because, i have formatted using quick switch in command prompt.
                Would the same be in all the screen that will follow. How to check, without totally uninstalling the present system.
                   or would it be some other problem. Normally the white bar moves swiftly to the next install screen. Pl
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: will installation from usb slow in start in starting windows bar moving
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 06:28:38 am »
I wasn't aware ImgBurn could create bootable USBs and not sure how you were able to boot from it when you don't have that option in the BIOS.

Don't know what plpbt is either.

On modern versions of Windows (whatever they are) can't be installed using FAT32 and must be formatted to NTFS, but whether it's because you are using a FAT32 USB (which is the default for USBs for compatibility so there was no need to format it unless you were cleaning it out) or whether you were using an USB on a system that doesn't have that boot option - I don't know.

You could see if there was any improvement after formatting it to NTFS, but I would opt for using a DVD.

This article has some on the differences and limitations of the various formats -

http://www.howtogeek.com/235596/whats-the-difference-between-fat32-exfat-and-ntfs/

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 10:51:05 am »
What I understand from J's post is that he has used Plop Boot Manager to create a live CD (which he can boot from in order to then boot from a USB flash drive (booting from which is not supported in his particular BIOS)

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/using-plop-boot-manager-usb-boot

It seems like a long winded way to do things, and begs the question, why not just boot from a CD/ DVD in the first place?

I have an old machine that does n't support booting from USB in the BIOS and just boot from CD/ DVD to launch any Linux or Windows PE rescue disks and the like. But each to their own I guess.

I think J used ImgBurn to burn the plpbt.iso file to the disc and create the Plop Boot Manager CD

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 10:54:40 pm »
Hi, Boggins and Samson,
                Samson is correct in saying that i had used plpbt.iso to a cd to boot from usb. Nowadays , cd dvd , that to R does not last long and one has to have a bootable usb to install easily. I had done that before, but it was fast while the bar was moving, but now this time , it is slowly moving and hence my query.
                                 Plpbt.iso is the tiny iso which will give the option  to boot from usb, where the models do not have provision of pendrive showing as boot device priority., particulrly in older system. There is moba live cd having qemu menu, that would achieve the same in running windows, but what it lacks is that when the bar is moving if you try to close by testing it, then bootmgr is getting corrupted on the next try. But plpbt.iso is a tiny iso, which when burnt to  a cd, when boots, gives menu in the boot screen to choose the option of usb. When you click, it boots with the usb stick successfully.
                                   Hi, Samson, i only want reason for slow progressive bar, . Is it becaues of quick format or some other reason. Would it be possible of the version of the port of usb , the device is .
                                     Is there any simple way of knowing the version of usb ports on the computer. Some says that version 3 is suitable , while some others say it is better to have version 2. Whether this is the cause.
                                         Moreover, when i have given commands  in diskpart to make bootable usb, i have given one command , select partition 1, after creating primary partition command. I do not know, whether this is needed.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 03:47:47 am »
J, given the age of your machine I think it is unlikely that it has USB3.

It will also depend on the speed of your Flash Drive, there can be quite a difference in read/ write speeds of USB2 drives, they are by no means all the same.

If You are using Plop Boot Manager I do not know if you still need to use Diskpart to make the USB bootable, that is something you'd have to ask the Plop Boot Manager team.

Perhaps it is the number of links in this chain that is causing a slower load time?